Home

How do you choose an archetype and stick with it?

This is a discussion on How do you choose an archetype and stick with it? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
How do you choose an archetype and stick with it?

I'm the type of person that makes a build that I like only to decide that I want to try something different shortly after. Does anyone have any tips or insight how I can stay invested in just one build? I usually play a pg because I like to play unselfish ball but I got bored early last year. I was thinking of going with a Pf because that's what I played in high school but I can hardly decided position let alone archetypes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Pro

Re: How do you choose an archetype and stick with it?

I picture last year, when I had 4 archetypes by the springtime and none of them hit 90...

If you want to make serious progress, you gotta commit.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Rookie

Vechincaa's Arena

I can relate because I always make a ton of builds on 2k(made more than 20 on 2k17),
I think the secret is in having a clear idea regarding what you want to do, I generally like having an athletic ball handler who can defend and hit open jumpers and pull ups so that's what I end up sticking with most years even though I'm so indecisive.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking11
I was thinking of going with a Pf because that's what I played in high school but I can hardly decided position let alone archetypes
I would say go PF and make him as similar to your skill set as possible, and scale the height accordingly - if you were undersized go 6'9 6'8, if you were huge for youre league go 7 feet.

I find if i can trick myself into really believing thisis the player i would be if i kept my same game but had the size/athleticism to play in the league its much easier to commit because my game is my game, you know? I played with a slasher for most of last year and near the end made a rebounder and even tho he was only 72 and my slasher was 92 i had more fun with him because it felt like i was really hooping and i just intuitively knew my strengths and weaknesses. And regardless what your game is theyve done a good job this year (it seems so far at least) of making all playstyles viable.

That doesnt mean just pick the 2 archetypes that describe you best necessarily tho - play around with builds at nba2klab and find a build with gold badges that would best describe your game.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK_11
I would say go PF and make him as similar to your skill set as possible, and scale the height accordingly - if you were undersized go 6'9 6'8, if you were huge for youre league go 7 feet.

I find if i can trick myself into really believing thisis the player i would be if i kept my same game but had the size/athleticism to play in the league its much easier to commit because my game is my game, you know? I played with a slasher for most of last year and near the end made a rebounder and even tho he was only 72 and my slasher was 92 i had more fun with him because it felt like i was really hooping and i just intuitively knew my strengths and weaknesses. And regardless what your game is theyve done a good job this year (it seems so far at least) of making all playstyles viable.

That doesnt mean just pick the 2 archetypes that describe you best necessarily tho - play around with builds at nba2klab and find a build with gold badges that would best describe your game.
I like this idea a lot. If I can get my face scan to look good I can maybe feel like it's me. Just need to find the combination of archs that feel closets to my game and have the badges that I want. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking 6'9" pf slashing/shot creating but I will have to look into it more
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking11
If I can get my face scan to look good I can maybe feel like it's me.

Just need to find the combination of archs
Yeah mine came out weird at first but after a couple quick edits i started to recognize that handsome mug haha.

And dont forget wingspan and weight have a muchhh bigger impact this year. Makes for a much wider variety of skill sets even within the same arch. I was having a hard time finding a build with the versatility i needed, but realized i could get my skill and athleticism attributes where i wanted by getting skinny and bringing down the wingspan.

Also when judging the wingspan,divide the number by 12 so you actually get an idea of what the size is instead of just a total number of inches. Makes it easier to reference against nba comps. Made it alot easier to swallow bringing it down when i realized just above min wing span was still 7'2" on a 6'11" player - for reference, Giannis is 7'2.5", and AD comes in at 7'4.5" - i am perfectly fine with not having an AD like wingspan if that means i can dribble better haha.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

Just make a bunch of dudes. Can't you skip cutscenes, too? Just try to avoid people that hit a breakpoint you want at a really high overall. I dunno why you'd wanna go over 90, but they kind of got ya w the 94 take over thing. Making one guy sounds so boring.

I usually had my favorite player (shot creating post scorer 6'11 last yr) , a player that would at least loosely fit into the meta (two way post) , and a bunch of guys who I got to around 70-75. But Yea the having to grind out one guy gets boring. I want a guy at every position at least just for fun factor

-Smak
Old 09-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Banned

If I'm going to model him after myself should I scale the weight and wingspan the same as I do the height or just play with it to get the ratings I want?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »