Home

NBA 2k18 - Otto Porter Scenario (Wide open 3 point shots) ... Should we be concerned?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k18 - Otto Porter Scenario (Wide open 3 point shots) ... Should we be concerned? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
NBA 2k18 - Otto Porter Scenario (Wide open 3 point shots) ... Should we be concerned?

Yes, I do realize that this is the prelude and quite possibly on pro difficulty. The retail version will give us a better overall picture. Yes, let's not jump to any conclusion, but it's simply something to take note of.

I don't normally do "testing" but I simply couldn't help but think about that Otto Porter Jr. scenario in Scott OG's blog and the frequency of open 3 point shooters being left wide open due to over-rotation on help defense that I'm seeing from 2k18 footage including first hand experience with the prelude.

I ran four tests yesterday and found a "trend." Regardless of made or miss buckets, the cpu would only start to heavily guard my open shooter in the corner after approximately 13-14 attempts.

Kevin Love left Draymond Green open even if I made four 3 pointers in a row. Kevin Love finally clamped down on Green on the 13 or 14 attempt (or with approximately 2 minutes and 15 seconds give or take left to go at 2KU). Once Love started to stay close with Green, he basically stuck with Green all the way. This is the same basic trend for all four tests.

After four consecutive tests of trying to make buckets, I decided to go in the opposite direction and miss on purpose. I missed all 12-13 shots and by either the 13 or 14 attempt (I lost count), Kevin Love decided to clamp down on Draymond.

Preliminary results: It doesn't matter if Draymond was hot or cold. Green was left open for anywhere from 12-13 shots from the corner. On the 14th attempt, Kevin Love put the clamps on Draymond.

I don't know if swapping a better shooter for Draymond would make a difference.

Missing Purposely

(Draymond Green missed all his shots (12-13 consecutive misses); Kevin Love decides to no longer allow Draymond Green to get open.

Testing: Makes and misses.

Made 4 consecutive 3 pointers and Kevin Love still left Draymond Green open for a total of approximately 13 shots before deciding to clamp down.

Yes = made basket; No = misses
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. no
6. no
7. no
8. no
9. stolen pass
10. no
11. yes
12. yes
13. no
14. closely guarded

Other tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6oMc8MZYBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvRyiNvPi0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZIYkPkgnc

All with essentially the same outcome. After 12-13 shot attempts regardless of makes or misses. Kevin Love clamped down on Draymond.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2k18 - Otto Porter Scenario (Wide open 3 point shots) ... Should we be concer

Yeah to me, I'm speculating this being an issue in the retail version, even with the difficulty higher.

Seen instances of this in most gameplay vids we've seen. As a user I'd put a stop to it nice and early in games. But I would want the AI not making this fundamental error (for lack of a better word) aswell.

Definitely plan to put this to the test when I get the game (THIS WEEK!! ) - hopefully the AI doesn't allow me to attempt 20 threes with Paul George..... dude will average 40ppg in my season then....
Old 09-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 33
Re: NBA 2k18 - Otto Porter Scenario (Wide open 3 point shots) ... Should we be concer

I thought players game efficiency was taken into account onto how would they be defended, if we go with the results you wrote in the post, then one could argue that it is acting as you almost made 50% of your shots at the 13 attemp ... but if it happens the same after missing all or most of them at that same range of shots taken, then, ufff.

We have been told that ACE adjust the most to players performance as the difficulty is increased, but is somewhat alarming the results of your tests, as it appears, at least on the prelude difficulty, that there is none of that ... never thought the difference would be that big in terms of AI actions.

Hopefuly higher difficulties, the retail game, the day one patch and or the defense updates can get better handling of such scenarios.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 09-10-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

I mean I know the idea is to anticipate a Curry blow by. But this is just not right to me..... too heavy of a sag considering Green's 3pt ability.

What's the answer here? Reduce the overly aggressive sag from Love?

Should TT be dropping into the middle (Zaza not a threat on the wing)?

EDIT: If we find out that this is just a product of Pro difficulty and it's tightened after 1 x 3PM on Superstar or HOF then I'm happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Love Sag.jpg (228.0 KB, 625 views)

Last edited by MarkWilliam; 09-10-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I think it's a valid observation.

Its hard for me to really be concerned without knowing all the variables first though.

(difficulty, build, day one patch)

Czar for instance, said tendencies (see: Rodman shooting 3's in the CHI/DET) werent fully implemented.

Is the same for defense? Is everyone set to position a certain way by default?

Once I get the game in my hands, I'll know for sure...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

^The possible solution would be to have JR Smith and Tristan Thompson cheat closer towards the edge of the paint. Plus, have Kevin Love not stand directly underneath the basket and putting himself in illegal defense. Kevin Love should be standing also at the edge of the paint possibly like so...

Otto Porter is programmed to be standing in the white box (otto porter screenshot below) in 2k18. He should be position closer towards the edge, one foot in the paint, etc.

Otto Porter screenshot.
Spoiler

http://forums.operationsports.com/fo...lagher-44.html

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-10-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

We need to know if this is an actual issue once we get the game.

If it is, this all becomes very relevant. At which point I'd really appreciate some feedback from OG on it. If it's just a day 1 patch fix, golden.

I don't think I'd call it game breaking and I am hopeful it's just a matter of slightly tweaking how far over the help comes (I know nothing about coding).
Old 09-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
Rookie

swaggedout's Arena

OVR: 2

I completely understand your concern, but what skill level is the game being played on. It was stated that ace works on higher skilled levels. Lower skill level makes the game a lot easier and certain adjustments won't be made. Try changing the skill level, if possible, and see what happens.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »