Home

Shooting percentages in NBA 2K17 are vastly inflated. Blame the terrible defenses

This is a discussion on Shooting percentages in NBA 2K17 are vastly inflated. Blame the terrible defenses within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Shooting percentages in NBA 2K17 are vastly inflated. Blame the terrible defenses

Here's the thing. I've been playing basketball for 20 years. I understand the on court dynamics of shooting and defending shooters. The problem with shooting in 2K is that it has an exaggerated sense of what shots should be going in, and what shots should be missing (meaning it's too black and white).

Shooting percentages are a funny sometimes in how things are calculated for stat tracking and the numbers produced by way of them. Shooting in a gym, you often see good shooters hitting 80 out of 100 of their shots. This is because these are wide open shots with nobody aggressively looking to contest(obvious, ikr). If a guy get's that kind of shot in a game setting, 8/10 times it's money (in the gym shot)

Here's the kicker. There's very rarely a true open shot in a real life game. Guys rarely leave even average shooters more than 6 feet of space. tracking suggest that 4-6 feet is open, and 6 feet and beyond is wide open. This is where stat tracking gives an unrealistic sense of what's happening on the floor 6 feet is not open! What's normally happening when a defender is standing 6 feet away form a good shooter is a hard close out. This is way more effective than what it seems, especially with all the strength, speed, and athletic ability of NBA players. So now suddenly curry, who will knock down 85-90 out of 100 of his open shots in a practice gym, Will now be only making 45-55 out of 100 on what is considered to be wide open (6 feet and beyond) according to player tracking.

With that said. 2K really needs to fix/overhaul defense so that they can make shooting operate the way it should. There are way too many "in the gym" shots in this game. Shot's that bad shooters would be able to make in real life. That needs to really be tightened up. This is why before the shooting update teams would always shoot around 60 percent. Too many open shots, and not enough contested ones falling. I just want the best out of 2K. I just want the franchise to continue as one that is focused on a true sim experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Re: Shooting percentages in NBA 2K17 are vastly inflated. Blame the terrible defenses

At this point, I think it's too late in the year to still be making changes to the game.

But, in 2k18, I think they need to significantly increase the amount of contested shots that go in and decrease the open ones
Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Shooting percentages in NBA 2K17 are vastly inflated. Blame the terrible defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
At this point, I think it's too late in the year to still be making changes to the game.

But, in 2k18, I think they need to significantly increase the amount of contested shots that go in and decrease the open ones
As long as that increase doesn't include inside shots. They go in at a crazy high rate contested.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:

Yeah that's mainly why i made this post, for NBA 2K18. It's far too late to be worried about 2K17 now. I agree though 100 percent.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:

Sounds good on paper, but if you know this community like I do, contested shots will bottom out again because people will start whining to Mike saying "OMG PEOPLE ARE SPLASHING IN MY FACE! WHAT'S THE POINT OF DEFENSE?! NERF PLZ!"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

The defense mechanics aren't good.. But the thing is, player defense isn't good either. Swipe, swipe swipe.. Double team for no reason, full court press for no reason.. Literally full court press all game and never stop even though it's almost the sole reason the team is losing by 30 because they're getting blown by, defense has to help, corner 3 every single play. Players and teams that are fundamentally sound on defense make for respectable shooting percentages.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
Here's the thing. I've been playing basketball for 20 years. I understand the on court dynamics of shooting and defending shooters. The problem with shooting in 2K is that it has an exaggerated sense of what shots should be going in, and what shots should be missing (meaning it's too black and white).

Shooting percentages are a funny sometimes in how things are calculated for stat tracking and the numbers produced by way of them. Shooting in a gym, you often see good shooters hitting 80 out of 100 of their shots. This is because these are wide open shots with nobody aggressively looking to contest(obvious, ikr). If a guy get's that kind of shot in a game setting, 8/10 times it's money (in the gym shot)

Here's the kicker. There's very rarely a true open shot in a real life game. Guys rarely leave even average shooters more than 6 feet of space. tracking suggest that 4-6 feet is open, and 6 feet and beyond is wide open. This is where stat tracking gives an unrealistic sense of what's happening on the floor 6 feet is not open! What's normally happening when a defender is standing 6 feet away form a good shooter is a hard close out. This is way more effective than what it seems, especially with all the strength, speed, and athletic ability of NBA players. So now suddenly curry, who will knock down 85-90 out of 100 of his open shots in a practice gym, Will now be only making 45-55 out of 100 on what is considered to be wide open (6 feet and beyond) according to player tracking.

With that said. 2K really needs to fix/overhaul defense so that they can make shooting operate the way it should. There are way too many "in the gym" shots in this game. Shot's that bad shooters would be able to make in real life. That needs to really be tightened up. This is why before the shooting update teams would always shoot around 60 percent. Too many open shots, and not enough contested ones falling. I just want the best out of 2K. I just want the franchise to continue as one that is focused on a true sim experience.
I understand where you are coming from, but your thinking is flawed when comparing open shots in a gym to open shots in a game. Players who are making 80+ of 100 shots at practice are shooting 100 consecutive shots with someone feeding them. It's very easy to get in rhythm this way.

I know of coaches who will not give players the green light in game until they can hit 70 of 100 shots from a particular area in the practice gym.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:

I agree but I feel like regardless of what happens 2k will eventually patch it like they always have and it will break again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »