Home

27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball

This is a discussion on 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
I dunno about this. I find the archetypes way too limiting as it is.

Its boring playing as anything but a playmaker unfortunately. Had a 95 Sharpshooter and the one dimensionality of their game is insufferable.

I think it'd be better if we could edit and upgrade individual attributes within an archetype framework, to create more diverse builds and play types.

The fact you can't be a 3 and D, or playmaking 4, or just an all round offensive threat (while being a master at none) is really boring, in all game modes of a MyPlayer.
I agree 110%. This whole archetype system is weak if you ask me.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #18
Rookie

As far as ankle breakers go, I don't mind them, (in Park), but you should not receive ankle breakers from spamming the same move ( for ex. momentum crossover or hezi 3/normal 1).

I miss when they were rare to get. I think I only had like 10 total in all of 2k15? Out of the whole game I've only made 2 guys fall. 2. And I was a pretty damn good dribbler, lol.

Now? I break about 20+ guys everyday I play. Not really exciting anymore.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #19
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakstarter
Not for nothing, alot of your points come off as someone who is salty over playing against elite players and them taking advantage of their playstyles. You want to neuter/nerf half of what made 2k17 good. Here i thought you were gonna mention the servers or matchmaking issues. You bring up badges, and their overall effectiveness...how about giving myplayers MORE Options instead of making them Stricter. You Gotta lot of Trump in your vision for how you the rest of us should be playing 2k. The elite players will always find a way to make the best of certain archetypes no matter which year the game comes out.

remove ankle breakers? Remove Brick Wall animations? increase stamina cost?

bruh...i support your thread because its towards fixing pro am, but nerfing and getting rid of the things we actually do like doesnt make sense. Your other points are valid though...i read them thoroughly and you might not agree but we as myplayers need MORE OPTIONS not less and stricter. This is supposed to be fun, not strict.

I am in the middle. Some of the things I really wasn't in agreement with but it was a pretty good list. But I'll talk about the badges. I am kind of torn on ankle breaker and brick wall.

I'll say, I believe the Ankle Breaker should be in the game to showcase players like Kyries ability to stumble people moreso than any other player. But how it's setup in 2K17 is terrible. It's too random. You could be guarding someone and know exactly where he is going and get your ankles broken or simply just standing there. That's why it's not even exciting to me. When I or someone fall, it doesn't seem like skills, it's just like 2K decided to make dude fall. It seems like back in 2K11 and some older 2Ks, you usually got broke if someone did a crossover and the defender actually went the wrong way. How it is now just happens to randomly. The % of you randomly getting broke should be reduced a lot and raised moreso if the defender goes the wrong way.

I believe brick wall should stay as well to showcase players that's good at setting picks. But new animations is needed and knocking someone to the ground should be lowered by a lot and should only happen if the defender is using turbo. Other than that, it should just be a little harder to get off their screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiltzenberger
I agree with a lot. A lot I couldn't care less about.
So I've quoted the stuff I completely disagree with.

lol.... standing shot/moving shot & after catch/after dribble is the exact same thing. You have described exactly how it already works, but want it worded differently. :/
Like changing the 'speed' attribute to 'maximum velocity'..... pointless.

No way, ridiculous. So a 6'7" playmaking PG or point forward SF wouldn't be able to dunk?

Again, no way..... people changing heights, weight & wingspan between games? maybe the badge thing, but not height etc.
IMO badges should be classed by what difficulty you got them in. The badges people get in rookie shouldn't be as good as badges earned in HOF. 2K should encourage people to play properly on a hard level rather playing like a moron on rookie.

Game breaker.... you can't just force pick up animations because some people dribble too much and abuse certain moves. Would kill the game completely. Make the shot % go down after a dribble fest but you can't just force pick up animations.

HELL NO!
This is exactly the crap that makes pro-am a nightmare..... the ai players intercepting anything that comes near them. Everyone on defense holds L2.... offense won't be able to pass anywhere. It's just a fix for people who can't play D or are too lazy to play D. Should get rid of the auto block thing too, encourages lazy players..... just hold L2 for good D. Absolutely not!

Yeah most of the stuff you disagree with I also disagreed with. Especially the automatic steal. Hell no. That bet not ever happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

Last edited by Jrocc23; 02-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #20
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

I'd like to add one caveat to #15, as I like the proposal, but there's one other thing that needs to be mentioned therein, and that is the forced charge animations. I'm all for penalizing guys who are just barreling toward the basket, but I've had too many situations where I get a pass while running down the floor, seemingly wide open, when my defender appears as I'm making the catch and I get called for a charge for doing nothing but trying to run the break. Alternatively, there are far too many times where I get sucked in the charge animation when A) trying to move around the defender (the game doesn't register my movement because it's busy putting me in the charge animation) or B) making a pass (same deal, press the button, doesn't happen because it had just started a predetermined animation.). Out of control ball-handlers aren't the only ones getting stuck with those animations. It's also those of us who are trying to look up the floor and run the break properly, only to get bogged down in a bad animation.
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwatch
none of the players you named are sharpshooters outside of j.r. smith who transformed his game later in his career he used to be more of a slasher in his younger days and would pull those dunks off in a game but now he's primarily a spot-up shooter and an occasional shot creator. iman shumpert is nowhere near a sharpshooter and zach lavine isn't a sharpshooter either.

the korvers, pejas, ray allen from boston forward, anthony morrow, novak, steve kerr those are shooters. you're naming athletic players who can hit the 3 at an above average rate.

lebron even shot 40% from three one season and i know you wouldn't try to call him a sharpshooter with that logic.
Sharpshooters are usually guys who are shooting 40% from 3. LeBron did shoot 40% but didn't take alot of 3s. Vince Carte, Shump, and Ray Ray could dunk and shoot, JR still has his hops too.

Slashers shouldn't be the only ones with good dunks, thats too restrictive. Bron is a Point Forward he can yam it, KD is a shot creator, Whiteside is a paint protector, Drummond is a glass cleaner, they all throw it down. Stuff like this makes it less fun, and feel like a game full of Role Players. I don't wany my 6'10 Point Forward doing rim grazers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #22
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

Re: 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketbal

Quote:
none of the players you named are sharpshooters outside of j.r. smith who transformed his game later in his career he used to be more of a slasher in his younger days and would pull those dunks off in a game but now he's primarily a spot-up shooter and an occasional shot creator. iman shumpert is nowhere near a sharpshooter and zach lavine isn't a sharpshooter either.

the korvers, pejas, ray allen from boston forward, anthony morrow, novak, steve kerr those are shooters. you're naming athletic players who can hit the 3 at an above average rate.

lebron even shot 40% from three one season and i know you wouldn't try to call him a sharpshooter with that logic.
Terrence Ross is shooting 5 3PA per game off the bench at 38%. How is he not a sharpshooter? Ray Allen could shoot his whole career. Including his Milwaukee days when he was in the slam dunk competition. Lavine on the season is at 39% on 7 3PA. JR can still throw it down with the best of them while being a spot up shooter. Shumpert is shooting 5 3PA at 40%. I chose high volume, high efficiency three point shooters. I don't think many players want to make one-dimensional specialty players like Steve Novak and Anthony Morrow. Sharpshooter doesn't mean a shooter with little to no skill in any other area.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #23
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

Re: 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketbal

Quote:
like i said if people saying sharpshooters not being able to dunk like prime vince carter is restrictive, why is a sharpshooter only being able to max out his open three at a 58 not considered restrictive?

it's not balanced that's the whole point. if a sharpshooter can do cradle dunks like michael jordan in '85, there's no reason a slasher shouldn't be able to get his three point rating waaay higher than a 58. it's either gotta both ways or not at all, can't just be one sided.
I agree that it should be both ways. Open three point shooting for a slasher should max out somewhere between 75-79. They should just go away from archetypes altogether imo. If they want us to make role players, they should at least let us make high-end role players with multiple skills.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
I dunno about this. I find the archetypes way too limiting as it is.

Its boring playing as anything but a playmaker unfortunately. Had a 95 Sharpshooter and the one dimensionality of their game is insufferable.

I think it'd be better if we could edit and upgrade individual attributes within an archetype framework, to create more diverse builds and play types.

The fact you can't be a 3 and D, or playmaking 4, or just an all round offensive threat (while being a master at none) is really boring, in all game modes of a MyPlayer.
This, basically. This is actually the first 2k I've gotten bored with. Don't get me wrong, I can play outside of my given archetype, but some of these restrictions are a bit ridiculous.

Honestly, I'm really starting to believe that the people who keep asking for more and more restrictions simply have trouble dealing with players who possess multiple skills. So instead of trying to improve their own game, they ask for more restrictions to bring everyone else down.

Unfortunately with this whole e-sports movement, I don't see it getting any better.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 02-14-2017 at 09:50 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »