Home

The FUNDAMENTAL issue with 2k17's AI Defense

This is a discussion on The FUNDAMENTAL issue with 2k17's AI Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #33
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The FUNDAMENTAL issue with 2k17's AI Defense

I still love defense more this year than last, but this post is something worth noting.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #34
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
I thought it was perfect how it was in the prelude 2ku, somehow in the final version though they vamped the stickiness back up and it has become more frustrating to beat the AI. This pretty much ensures that off ball d will be used primarily and we will be stuck playing against a seemingly cheap AI. It also forces players to learn an exploit against the AI and online games to play out the same way.
Game would be much more fun and intriguing if you knew the AI could be beat often by great ball handlers and use tactics and help D to stop it. The added stickiness makes the game less intriguing. Not sure why they just didn't leave it like in the prelude.

I also noticed the difference in how the prelude was vs. the final game. Its a noticeable difference on how much the AI sticks to you.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #35
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
I thought it was perfect how it was in the prelude 2ku, somehow in the final version though they vamped the stickiness back up and it has become more frustrating to beat the AI. This pretty much ensures that off ball d will be used primarily and we will be stuck playing against a seemingly cheap AI. It also forces players to learn an exploit against the AI and online games to play out the same way.
Game would be much more fun and intriguing if you knew the AI could be beat often by great ball handlers and use tactics and help D to stop it. The added stickiness makes the game less intriguing. Not sure why they just didn't leave it like in the prelude.
Prelude was on Pro
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #36
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Dont know how much time you guys have spent with the game but I've been able to blow by the cpu AI at a normal pace per game. On all star default.

I play as the Bulls....Wade, Rondo and Butler can get free from time to time for nice contact layups by using the dribble moves. Doesn't happen every time as it shouldn't but I do get some nice drives and I'm usually met with help D.
Now ya'll see why I write multiple disclaimers

I annihilate the All Star AI off the dribble. It's not about making defense easier to get past it's about getting it to behave properly. Please reread the original post. I'm only addressing this because the community needs to understand that when they are on the same page about something, it becomes a priority and the path to dealing with the issue is as straight a line as possible for the devs. Missing the point puts things in the white noise category and that's how ya'll got them skinny arms this year and Patch 4 last year.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #37
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Prelude was on Pro
Might be time to move to Pro for me. Will make adjustments to shooting for CPU and lower my shooting to compensate. Anyone have an idea if I can increase offensive or defensive awareness to activate more ACE? or am i stuck with Pro if I want that feel?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
Might be time to move to Pro for me. Will make adjustments to shooting for CPU and lower my shooting to compensate. Anyone have an idea if I can increase offensive or defensive awareness to activate more ACE? or am i stuck with Pro if I want that feel?
Why not go the other way and adjust "down" ? The slider for "body up sensitivity" to 30-35 and maybe adjust on-ball defense.

Overall, i am definitely agreeing with the OP, would only make it issue(s) and add the botched double team logic which is 100% ruining the experience for anybody running as (in mycareer) or with a pass-first pg. Itīs bad if the double teams come for scorers, itīs a gamebreaker if they start doubling an elite passer 40 feet from the basket because he got hot due to passing the ball well.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #39
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomario
Why not go the other way and adjust "down" ? The slider for "body up sensitivity" to 30-35 and maybe adjust on-ball defense.

Overall, i am definitely agreeing with the OP, would only make it issue(s) and add the botched double team logic which is 100% ruining the experience for anybody running as (in mycareer) or with a pass-first pg. Itīs bad if the double teams come for scorers, itīs a gamebreaker if they start doubling an elite passer 40 feet from the basket because he got hot due to passing the ball well.
Im planning on taking a look at all the other things which can be at play here on the higher levels as well, Hustle, strength, on ball d, lateral quickness, etc. If I can have a game flow i prefer on pro, it might be easier to just adjust the shooting levels and leave all the other things alone, if that makes any sense.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #40
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
It seems that hard hedges at an extreme rate causes the hedger to be disconnected from his assigned man and causes the roller to move about freely while he spaces out in no mans land....

Also the AI's ability to switch on an open man during PnR or a user decides to do manual switch the AI ability to recognize a need to switch seems a bit lacking....(but to be honest the who to guard arrow is still pointing on the the assigned player a user just switched off from)

Recommendations :
1. Give users the ability to manually switch who they are guarding like on manual switches to cue original defender(AI) that a switch had accured....maybe by double tapping switch button (A/X) when pointing the right analog stick in the direction of the new intended person to guard....maybe this will help Cue the AI to better understand and react to users intentions and reassigned them the users's previous player he was guarding

All of this... Yes. Which is terrible for CPU vs CPU. The fix to the AIs defense from 2k16 to 2k17 seems to be solely recovery boosts and cpu coded to hard hedge almost every time. This can be seen by the "zig zag" animations and hard lateral movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »