Home

Thoughts on the slasher build.

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the slasher build. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

OVR: 0
Thoughts on the slasher build.

So I went ahead and made a slashing 6'3 PG with the hopes that the speed with ball would not hinder my ability to slash. So far I've been having a good time. I've been using or denying picks, reading opponent positioning and attacking accordingly, & TRYING to run fast breaks. I have quite a bit of success but there are times that the speed with ball completely ruins my drive and causes my player to pick up.

This clip right here is an example of me trying to effectively run a fastbreak against lin. Keep in mind that my layups/dunks & Playmaking(speed w ball) are maxed out. Strength is decent.

http://imgur.com/D68pJ7l

I wasn't that bothered, thought maybe it was a way to keep the playing field fair. That was until I started playing PRO-AM. All these playmaking point guards that are TALLER than me were doing things my player will never be capable of. I just finished a game where this 6'5 playmaking PG literally had the jets on all game long! All the speed momentum he gathered helped him consistently dunk on people with ease. he was finishing like an actual NBA slasher, something my pg with 77 max speed with ball can only dream of doing. On top of that, he would also stop and pop middies after running around his defender, and he was hitting EVERYTHING. This guy literally shot like 20/23.

Anybody here having more success with slashing as a slasher?

Last edited by Sleepy59; 09-18-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Rookie

CBAT's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Thoughts on the slasher build.

I did a test with Westbrook vs Curry with a friend racing from one end to the other with the ball and without the ball.

Curry was faster with the ball than without it. The speed with ball is not a modifier, it is the actual speed. I don't know anyone who can run FASTER with a BALL than just sprinting with no ball...

WTF!?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy59
So I went ahead and made a slashing 6'3 PG with the hopes that the speed with ball would not hinder my ability to slash. So far I've been having a good time. I've been using or denying picks, reading opponent positioning and attacking accordingly, & TRYING to run fast breaks. I have quite a bit of success but there are times that the speed with ball completely ruins my drive and causes my player to pick up.

This clip right here is an example of me trying to effectively run a fastbreak against lin. Keep in mind that my layups/dunks & Playmaking(speed w ball) are maxed out. Strength is decent.

http://imgur.com/D68pJ7l

I wasn't that bothered, thought maybe it was a way to keep the playing field fair. That was until I started playing PRO-AM. All these playmaking point guards that are TALLER than me were doing things my player will never be capable of. I just finished a game where this 6'5 playmaking PG literally had the jets on all game long! All the speed momentum he gathered helped him consistently dunk on people with ease. he was finishing like an actual NBA slasher, something my pg with 77 max speed with ball can only dream of doing. On top of that, he would also stop and pop middies after running around his defender, and he was hitting EVERYTHING. This guy literally shot like 20/23.

Anybody here having more success with slashing as a slasher?
Having fun with mine. The break running isn't bad, you just have to attack angles or pass out. It's definitely a "Skill" position. You have to really read what's going to happen and try to play to it. I'm ready to take it to the park once I get posterizer. But I'm holding out until then. I went no threes though.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 09-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Having fun with mine. The break running isn't bad, you just have to attack angles or pass out. It's definitely a "Skill" position. You have to really read what's going to happen and try to play to it. I'm ready to take it to the park once I get posterizer. But I'm holding out until then. I went no threes though.
But we're slashers, shouldn't playmakers be the ones who's first priority is passing out? I understand it takes skill, but why do playmakers require much less effort with a greater success rate all around. Have you gotten a singe actual contact dunk yet? My contact dunks always either switch to layups or they just miss.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy59
But we're slashers, shouldn't playmakers be the ones who's first priority is passing out? I understand it takes skill, but why do playmakers require much less effort with a greater success rate all around. Have you gotten a singe actual contact dunk yet? My contact dunks always either switch to layups or they just miss.
I have gotten contact dunks. Here's the thing though, If I take it strong off the break, there's a defender in my way and an open team member in the corner, I'm hitting my team. Slashing means "AttackAttackAttack!", But it doesn't mean play foolishly by trying to force stuff that's not there because the layup and Dunk is high.

I look to create off screens, cuts, and attacking the close out. In career I run a 2 man game with Justice, In park I use the drives to set up the moving jumpers, I use them to set up the kick out. Alternatively you use the mid and kick out to keep the D honest, meaning that breaking past a guy gives you a one on one at the rim since the D now understands that you are just as willing to kick out.

I get that I'm telling you to not use your best weapon and do a "Point Guard" or "Playmaker" job, but slashing is more than just dunking and lay ups. It's utilizing the impact your play has to warp the defense around it, while ultimately taking advantage of that warping. Same way a sharpshooter should do things you don't expect to help set up the Jump shot.

That's my take.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Yes I understand that as slashers we become a threat in the paint and as a result our team-mates end up open. I end up with a good ammount of assists because of it, but my concern is that I'm not a big of a threat inside as a playmaker. I mean we have the ability to max out a one man fast break badge but can not beat the cpu on a fast break half the time. My argument is that a paymaker can do it with ease, and he would easily finished that fastbreak I failed to finish.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Rookie

Hey man, im a 6'5 slasher, like you i have a maxed out dunking/layup, + all the archtype badges up to gold, been doing fine on MC but on the park for some reason its quiet a different story, im attacking the basket when there is a guy their on purpose expecting to be able to make the contact layup but im missing (the timing is quiet on point) example from today is me missing dunks over a Strech Big center. tbh this is quiet frustraing since sharpshooters are able to make contested thress but im having trouble making contested layups.. right know im grinding for those hall of fame badges hoping they will make things easier.

edit: forgot to mention that basically all builds besides rim protector/LDD have low defending, so attacking them should be easy

Last edited by RxBis; 09-19-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 09-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Rookie

fattymac21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT
I did a test with Westbrook vs Curry with a friend racing from one end to the other with the ball and without the ball.

Curry was faster with the ball than without it. The speed with ball is not a modifier, it is the actual speed. I don't know anyone who can run FASTER with a BALL than just sprinting with no ball...

WTF!?
This is disturbing to find out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »