Home

Your opinions on stories in MyCareer.

This is a discussion on Your opinions on stories in MyCareer. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Rookie

blueeon03's Arena

OVR: 0
Your opinions on stories in MyCareer.

From what I can tell, most people hated the Spike Lee stuff from last year because it was corny and it made you feel like you were playing the character 2k wanted you to play, not the one you wanted.

So, this year's doesn't seem as bad, but it still feels like 2k has a specific character they want you to be like. Whether it's your nickname or even your voice, it seems you're given such little agency over what you can do with your career, at least up until a certain point. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any type of story, but this stuff just isn't doing it for me. I thought 2k15 had a good balance for that. I get they want to create the feeling of you getting drafted and being a big time star, but the presentation of it feels so hokey and none of feels suited to the individual player's personalities.

What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Rookie

Cardinalsboy21's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Your opinions on stories in MyCareer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeon03
From what I can tell, most people hated the Spike Lee stuff from last year because it was corny and it made you feel like you were playing the character 2k wanted you to play, not the one you wanted.

So, this year's doesn't seem as bad, but it still feels like 2k has a specific character they want you to be like. Whether it's your nickname or even your voice, it seems you're given such little agency over what you can do with your career, at least up until a certain point. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any type of story, but this stuff just isn't doing it for me. I thought 2k15 had a good balance for that. I get they want to create the feeling of you getting drafted and being a big time star, but the presentation of it feels so hokey and none of feels suited to the individual player's personalities.

What do you guys think?
As long as we get to actually play our rookie year, It doesn't matter to me.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Banned

Absolulty hate it.

To me, pointless and boring. Does nothing ti immerse me into basketball whatsoever.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

I can't say one way or the other because I haven't played the full game yet. So for me to judge MyCareer before I've played it doesn't make much sense.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

I hadnt tried MyPlayer since NBA2k10 until trying the Prelude, so I cant speak for how it was before now. I do think what I have seen so far has been pretty cool, as I decided to go to Kansas. Being a farmer IRL if I had gone to college to play basketball it would have been at a school with a good Ag program, so thats why I choose Kansas since Purdue wasnt available. Although IRL if Bobby Knight would have called me at IU it would have been hard to turn that down, as he is my favorite all time coach.

I suppose they only have so much space to work with, so probably kind of hard for them to not make it feel atleast somewhat forced. Yeah it would be nice if they called you by name and not some lame nickname, especially Prez, if anything why not call you Mr Basketball since your a top recruit, but whatever.

It would be nice if they had a few different story lines, like you a kid from small town like Larry Bird, or a farmkid, which I would prefer being thats my life. Or you coul dbe that inner city kid that made it to college, even though you had a rough upbringing. Another one could be that the kid came from wealthy family, and was born with a silverspoon in his mouth and is a spoiled brat. Also you could be offspring of a former pro athlete whether it be basketball or your day played in the MLB or NFL.

Not complaining really, as I have to say the Prelud is pretty cool other than only 6 mintue halves, thats lame, but a few different story lines would be nice to choose from.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

I like the idea of a story, even a slightly linear one if I can control the key decisions and most of the background and personality of my player. I also like the idea for this year of having significant interactions with a teammate and a sense of coming up with another rookie.

My hope is that the 100% linear, forced story presented in The Prelude is more a product of resource priority (i.e. putting more into the pro side than an intro/background) than an indicator of how the mode is going to play out, because it really didn't feel all that different from the way they handled MyCareer last year with Spike Lee which I hated for career mode.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Rookie

Truthfully, I don't really mind the whole story aspect and can easily enjoy it the first go around. Despite what people said about last year, I liked that once you beat it once, you could go ahead and skip all of the cut scenes so you didn't have to redo everything again.

The only annoying part was that you couldn't skip high school and college so had to play those for no VC. At least this year, you get VC from the college games if The Prelude is the same as the actual MyCareer when you start over so that's nice.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

This is so much more well done than last year...nothing over the top as far as storylines.

At worst, its forgettable, which is better than cringe worthy and offensively offensive like last year. I feel like I can more easily ignore the fact that I'm "Prez" where they'd never let you forget that you are Freq. But we still have to see the full game, but still.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »