Home

tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'.

This is a discussion on tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'.

in my experience, there is comeback code, but it's not what a lot of people imagine it to be - you control it more than you think, and it works in your favor if you play the game right. here's some tips i wanted to share.

- when you're up by more than five or so, don't shoot threes or call plays for threes. feed the post or utilize the pnr game in a patient way. looks for the good shot and don't throw risky passes. slow down your game, and milk the clock - the game ai rewards you for doing this. get your role players or low scorers in rhythm.

- when you're down or the ai is in the midst of a run, drive hard to basket. be sure to get that layup, dunk or foul drawn (these are the most effective ways of stopping runs in my exp). if you want threes, call plays for them - it gives you a higher chance of making them (not because you're open for the shot, but because the game rewards you for calling plays and calling the right plays at the right time). the game also records all of your inputs... use pass fakes, pump fakes after catches etc. the more you 'try' in the half-court the higher percentage your next shot on that possession becomes. utilize the fast break, but don't force it. if you end up backing out of a fast break, a lot of times there will be a mismatch or just a guy wide open in the half-court, or a late teammate cutting to the basket from the other end of the floor. the game rewards you for good decisions like that.

- use your time outs strategically

just some tips i wanted to throw out there that i've picked up on in the past week or so. it helped cut down on frustration and we all know how the game drives us nuts sometimes. like i said, you're in control of it more than you think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Re: tips for combatting the so called 'comeback code'.

Although, I like the positive spin, there's no comeback code. Close thread.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Although, I like the positive spin, there's no comeback code. Close thread.
I agree, there is no comeback code BUT there is definitely momentum swings, which SHOULD be in the game. People claim they want SIM yet only want the good/easy aspects of SIM, not the bad or the ugly.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

There are momentum swings, and technically it is a comeback code. This game isn't all about shooting and passing, but you also have to know when to use a time-out. Last year I was able to expeditiously recognize when the momentum "comeback" kicked in. For instance, after the initial jump-ball I would check to see if my passes were delayed, ballhandlers slow to respond to the joystick, crossovers/dribble moves slugish. If so I would call a timeout only 15 seconds into the game. The commentators would say things such as " yeah shots just weren't falling (even though nobody shot the ball yet) or "the coach seemed upset on how his players were playing, this is a good timeout". And afterwards my players would start playing with more momentum. Take OP's advice, he knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by Sleepy59; 12-07-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Momentum swings are nothing more than changes that were made to the offense and/or defense, and you or your opponent still trying to stick to what worked in the beginning of the game.

There's nothing "artificial" when teams make a comeback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

Slow the ball down, dribble in protect ball mode and ensure you get a basket. Make good use of timeouts and find money plays/good use of ways to score.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

I also started keeping the auto-timeout on, AI knows when that "momentum" is kicking in. Let them auto sub as well but normally I still manually sub as well. I'm speaking of online play because I rarely play against the computer.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Thank you for acknowledging that there is indeed a comeback code. At the same time though, having to adjust my game to fit the needs of 2k is still BS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »