Home

On-Ball defense tips.

This is a discussion on On-Ball defense tips. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
On-Ball defense tips.

I have been seeing that many people are having problems with the on-ball defense, and considering (IMO) things have changed greatly its completely understandable.

With the latest patch 2k has actually done something that is revolutionary in the basketball videogame world. They minimized the perimeter contact and made it about footwork and technique. NBA defense is one that is predicated on giving ground and stealing angles with the natural tools provided to you (foot-speed, length etc). The closest 2k ever came to such an accurate representation was NBA 2k12; and the advice that Da Czar gave back then actually applies more than it ever has with the heavier emphasis on lateral quickness.

For added clarification, let me break down what has traditionally worked in 2k vs what I have found to work consistently now.

Previously: you could move in a straight line laterally in an attempt to run INTO the ball handler with the defender and reap the benefit of an overly physical perimeter animation. That was unrealistic and taught bad habits.

Currently: im using real basketball principles to stay in front of my man, and moving the stick at an angle AWAY from the offensive player. It may be hard to imagine what i mean, so hopefully this pic of the drill i do with the kids i coach helps

Moving the stick in same way the line zigs and sags replicates an old defensive principle of "opening up you hips" or 'dropping your lead foot'.

So to summarize my tips would be to:

1) Back up. Only play tight on snipers who can't finish well

2) Feather the left stick in conjunction with L2

3) take angles instead of looking to cut off and/or collide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
MOVING RIGHT ALONG

Another thing that I am utilizing is the right stick. I found pre-patch that it lead to a lot of defensive 'wins' in relation to on-ball defense.

I give a player space, react to the angle of his move while feathering down L2, and then compliment that with a nudge of the right stick in the direction im going.

If im at a large speed disadvantage, i do the same as above with R2 held down.

This seems to come in handy mostly against disadvantages or the westbrooks of the world.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 11-17-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: On-Ball defense tips.

https://youtu.be/lPoqDAPacqs

No dribble moves, turbo at the rim with Dwight. Defender freezes in place, watches him go by, turbo into defenders chest, still makes the play.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam31yearsold

No dribble moves, turbo at the rim with Dwight. Defender freezes in place, watches him go by, turbo into defenders chest, still makes the play.

Were you using the right stick to put that hand up? Noticed that now you can barely move at all when you do that, inviting a blow by

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:

Can't speak to The responsiveness, but The defender was far too close on Dwight 23ft from The basket.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drejor
Were you using the right stick to put that hand up? Noticed that now you can barely move at all when you do that, inviting a blow by

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Very true, if it was anyone but a Center, with no skill needed whatsoever to pull off. Turbo and press one button.

This should never be rewarded as a good way to play.

No pass, no pick, no play. This was the whole possession.

I picked this one to share because, in my opinion, has no defense. Wouldn't of happened before patch.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Banned

Not trying to destroy your thread on helping people...will delete if you want though.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Very true, if it was anyone but a Center, with no skill needed whatsoever to pull off. Turbo and press one button.

This should never be rewarded as a good way to play.

No pass, no pick, no play. This was the whole possession.

I picked this one to share because, in my opinion, has no defense. Wouldn't of happened before patch.

I finally watched this. Here's my two cents. First and foremost, pre patch I was fantastic at defense. Since I'm still getting used to responsiveness and it's suffered a bit.

The arms up was not the play. As soon as he stutter stepped, stop R3, diagonally cut him off in that direction, jam L2 and push the right stick in the direction he's trying to go.

This should cause a bump and force him to lose the ball or stop. L2 creates the most contact, so cutting him off and using the stick to take a defensive shuffle in the direction would've stopped that.

IMO, 2k needs a small tweak. Up contact slightly, but also give the left stick launch a small speed spike. The left launches feel so sluggish now, but the defenders also make less physical contact so there's a fine balance.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm going to upload some clips.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »