Home

Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option?

This is a discussion on Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option?

Since this game has been out I've played countless myleagues and mygms and they're all relatively predictable with all of the free agents disappearing, Andrew Wiggins becomes a high 80s, etc.

What if there was an option to randomize the potential of all of the players under say age 26? With the current system its basically impossible to replicate something like Hassan Whiteside where a bust scrub randomly becomes one of the best centers in the league? Or maybe a league where Andrew Wiggins busts and David Stockton ends up being an incredible phenom like his dad, or a league where Iman Shumpert does his best Jimmy Butler impression and goes from a solid option to a star?

Just something I was mulling over last night. The static potential ratings make myleague and mygm feel very scripted. You can always expect Andrew Wiggins to be a a very good player. But he never becomes the next Lebron or Kobe and he never busts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthemajin
Since this game has been out I've played countless myleagues and mygms and they're all relatively predictable with all of the free agents disappearing, Andrew Wiggins becomes a high 80s, etc.

What if there was an option to randomize the potential of all of the players under say age 26? With the current system its basically impossible to replicate something like Hassan Whiteside where a bust scrub randomly becomes one of the best centers in the league? Or maybe a league where Andrew Wiggins busts and David Stockton ends up being an incredible phenom like his dad, or a league where Iman Shumpert does his best Jimmy Butler impression and goes from a solid option to a star?

Just something I was mulling over last night. The static potential ratings make myleague and mygm feel very scripted. You can always expect Andrew Wiggins to be a a very good player. But he never becomes the next Lebron or Kobe and he never busts.

I could be wrong but didn't some of the older 2ks kind of have something like this? Essentially based on performance (PPG and other metrics) they would either increase in ratings, remain the same, or decrease. I don't think there was randomization or how high someone could be though. So you could essentially make anyone a 99 Overall if you stat whored them enough, which a lot of guys hated. That is why they brought in this "overall potential" type rating to limit it.

I would agree that it does feel extremely scripted, maybe randomizing the potential would help. But I feel you'd need to weight it, to where guys like Andrew Wiggins has a much higher chance of becoming a star (like 50-60% higher) than someone like a Hassan Whiteside (who might be weighted at like 2-10% chance of becoming a star).

But there are so many little things to keep in mind. What if I user control Andrew Wiggins and make him a stud stat wise (20 ppg 7 reb 5 ast) however because of the randomized potential he turns out to be a bust due to some roll of the dice randomization when you start a dynasty. I wouldn't say that's fair, nor would it be logical.

You'd need some happy medium where it is random, but to some degree their performance helps dictate as well.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

What the old 2k had/has was a potential system that allowed guys to exceed their potential ratings. That isn't a problem. The problem was that guys could only ever hit their potential or exceed their potential, but EVERYONE at least reached their potential (even if they didn't play).

Randomizing is OK as long as the majority of players DO NOT reach their potential. 60 guys get drafted every year. Out of them maybe 5 reach or exceed their potential.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Rookie

I like the idea of different players having different chances of busting or succeeding. Just as of right now, myleague and magma are fantastic but overtime you do one, the players all progress along the same path every time.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #5
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
I like the idea of different players having different chances of busting or succeeding. Just as of right now, myleague and magma are fantastic but overtime you do one, the players all progress along the same path every time.
ya. Jordan Adams of the Grizzlies. Always progresses into a really good offensive player. Like 18-21 ppg by season 3.

It should be so that even without injuries he may not become that EVERYTIME. Maybe if he's on a bad team, if you have a bad staff, or injuries of course guys don't hit their potential.

I heard from the devs that if you overtrain guys it can ruin their chances of hitting their potential but I haven't seen that yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
Banned

JAFranz33's Arena

I would like to see a potential "range". So, instead of just one number for potential, you would have a high and low. For example, someone like Embiid could have his range set at something like 77-90. I could have a MyLeague where he ends up not getting much better and hangs around the high 70's overall, start a new MyLeague and he ends up becoming what a lot of people think he may become. This way, it is sort of random, but at least you can control the range in which the "randomness" occurs. But, at the same time, production and other things certainly need to have value in whether or not a player reaches his highest potential.

This way you could give the sure bet guys like Wiggins a generous range, since we all know he is going to be a solid player for many years. But, guys with big upside who have not proved themselves can have a much wider range of potential, making each time you play a MyLeague or GM more unique. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by JAFranz33; 03-18-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #7
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

They did have a variable potential a couple eyars back but they screwed it up, and it didn't work right, or how it should have anyway, as basically everyone went up,lol.

What I would like seen done is a variable potential, but add D league, and have what they do matter, so if a guy plays well, then he can go up, if he plays bad it goes down. If the put D League back in then you could send guys down to work on their game, but potential needs to be based on performance, as well as being able to stay healthy.

There is so many things they could do to enhance My League, and My GM, and hopefully they build on what they have, and get D league back. But dont bring D league back just to bring it back like it use to be, its needs t be done well, as previous it was a joke with sim stats being whacked. They need to take a page out of MLBTS devs book, and add slowly and do it right or dont do it at all. So every installment of the game is playable, that's not always been the case for NBA2k in Association mode over the years with way to may glitches. This is the 1s time in along time that Association/ My league has been playable without major gltiches.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-18-2015, 01:43 AM   #8
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFranz33
I would like to see a potential "range". So, instead of just one number for potential, you would have a high and low. For example, someone like Embiid could have his range set at something like 77-90. I could have a MyLeague where he ends up not getting much better and hangs around the high 70's overall, start a new MyLeague and he ends up becoming what a lot of people think he may become. This way, it is sort of random, but at least you can control the range in which the "randomness" occurs. But, at the same time, production and other things certainly need to have value in whether or not a player reaches his highest potential.

This way you could give the sure bet guys like Wiggins a generous range, since we all know he is going to be a solid player for many years. But, guys with big upside who have not proved themselves can have a much wider range of potential, making each time you play a MyLeague or GM more unique. I hope that makes sense.
When it comes down to it, this would probably be the easiest (and just about best) way to implement this. The most important part is making the sure player (and AI logic, for that matter) never knows the exact rating. It would also be nice if the game didn't even know ahead of time and it was progressively calculated and possibly even adjusted. Even when hidden, static potentials are not that fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »