Home

The elephant in the room...

This is a discussion on The elephant in the room... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Rookie

GradyMac's Arena

OVR: 0
The elephant in the room...

Okay, so here it is.

Why isn't speed/quickness/strength/etc. linked to the height of your player?

I mean, online is kinda bland when you face team after team of 7' SFs.

They should have an average range, a below average range, and an above average range for height at each position.

If I go over average, I start losing points off my max limit in speed and quickness. But strength rebounding caps go up, etc.

If I go below average height, then I get speed and quickness boosts with penalties to rebounding/strength etc.

That would make online much more varied. If you faced those same SF, you could attack with speed. If you face a small team, then time to work the post.

It makes too much sense for me to understand why it isn't like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: The elephant in the room...

I assumed it was off my experience thus far, but it could be tied to position instead. My maxed athleticism 7'3 center is still pretty slow compared to a max 6'3 PG(as it should be)
Old 10-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Rookie

I think the speed difference is pretty minor between say a SF and Pg that's mostly why I've heard people are making SFs. Because they can run like a PG and are tall enough to grab boards.

I thought they were turning the game into you have to play a certain style to be a certain kind of player. For example if you grab o rebounds and play hard nosed defense you should be like a jimmy butler and your shooting stats shouldn't be able to go past 80 something, but your defensive stat should be able to be maxed out. Instead you can still buy tons of vc and max your guy out.

This is a problem because on the park you can buy vc make a 6'9 SF and up all his athleticism and rebounding and you can find a way to be a beast.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Agreed i baught into the player type hype but appears to be the same old same old at least we have refs with rules 4 quarters and improved game play
Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

I think an 85 speed 7'3 center is cheesier honestly...especially as a 7'2 center myself. Any bum that raised his speed can come in and I'll still block him, but a 7'3 center that's 20 points faster than me is corny...people buy VC and make their guys tall and athletic and think they're good lol. But really, I haven't played a good player yet as a center with speed so until then they can keep wasting money.

-Allen Iverson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

I'm gonna hijack your thread!

not really, but I was just thinking of this today. This is what I want to see in the next 2k. DEVS TAKE NOTICE.

Basically, you get to spec your guy. Upon making him (although one can argue that the crazy heights like 6'6 PG, 7'1 PF, etc, should be locked until you get some achievement) you are allowed to create his body. You get to set his height, his weight, his wingspan (which is already in) and hand size. And they would influence the players' stat caps. Of course, you could progress past the norm... like you could still be a good shooter even if you had huge hands, but not an amazing one. And big hands could get you a boost in ball security, rebounding, dunking... and height/weight same idea.

Wingspan is harder for me because I don't know any downside to having longer arms, but since wingspan is in the game I figured I would list it.

So we know, the taller you get the worse you get at shooting. If you have smaller hands, you can make up the gap and be a good shooter. Your ball handling also decreases, your speed, you lose stamina... etc. Yeah, all in all I totally agree and this is a must. Even though I'm pretty sure height doesn't matter as much as you might think... it just looks stupid to have everyone being max height. The small guys just jump like 60 inches.

-Smak
Old 10-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Rookie

What if they made upgrading your attributes significantly more expensive if you are taller/have longer wingspan? It wouldn't fix these problems but it could discourage some players from doing what is described.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
Rookie

GradyMac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven_Winner

This is a problem because on the park you can buy vc make a 6'9 SF and up all his athleticism and rebounding and you can find a way to be a beast.
Exactly, except they aren't making 6'9" SF, they are making 7' SF.

There should be an average range. Pick a height in that range and you stat caps are the normal (for your position). But if you want to make him shorter than average, your stat cap for speed quickness goes up; strength/rebounding/etc. goes down.

You pick a height taller than average, your stats caps for speed and quickness go down; but rebounding/strength/etc. go up.

Seems like an easy way to encourage more diversity on the Park.

Last edited by GradyMac; 10-22-2014 at 08:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »