Home

Controller survey

This is a discussion on Controller survey within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: Which controller is best for 2K balling?
I have played 2K ball on both consoles, and the PS3/PS4 controller is superior 21 50.00%
I have played 2K ball on both consoles, and the XBOX 360 controller is superior 7 16.67%
I have played 2K ball on both consoles, and the XBOX ONE controller is superior 12 28.57%
What controller? I use my mouse and keyboard!! 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 12
Controller survey

Hiya fellows,
This post is NOT meant to be a ground for mutual console fanboy bashings.
Rather, I'd like to get a straight answer from people who have played 2K ball BOTH on the xbox 360/one and on the PS3/PS4.
Which controller is better, and why?

This is because I've recently considered upgrading from my trusty old Logitech rumble pds (PS layout style) and since consoles are rather rare around my neck of he woods I have very little experience with the MS controller layout.

So the question is - strictly for NBA 2K15 gaming, should I stick with a PS like layout (e.g. Logitech's F310 or wireless F710) or shift to a XBOX style controller.
and if so, is the xbone controller markedly superior to the 360 version.

Appreciate all mature feedback.
Cheers, Omri
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Controller survey

Personally I don't really know about the PS4 controllers but I love the feel of the Xbox One controller....I would imagine that how a controller feels in your hand is most important in this type of game.

I'm really interested to know if there is considered a better controller for a sports game. I know over time 360 wasn't considered the "best" for fighting games but for everything I'm loving the One controller.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

I play on PC with XBOX Controller. The Playstation Pad is just terrible, never had a Console after a N64 - but played some PS2 at a friends.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

On the PS3 controller the sticks are flimsy and triggers god awful. On PS4 they're on par with Xbone which itself slightly improves on 360.

Personally I like the 360 stick layout more as it's easier to use the d-pad on the fly to change lines and settings and whatnot but then again the 360 d-pad is horrible and Xbone's d-pad still isn't as good as it should be. It's not a big issue.

However the thumb sticks on PS4 wear off incredibly fast. I'd recommend buying thumb stick covers to it immediately (you can find them cheap on ebay) as it will inevitably wear off after a few months of use, way faster than on Xbox (though they will wear off eventually as well).

PS4 has its' gimmicky motion control built into the controller, not something you will use. It also has a touchpad in the middle which can be slightly useful but not really a dealbreaker. Xbone has feedback on the triggers which can be fun but not really a big deal either.

As long as you're not buying the PS3 controller you can't really go wrong. Best controller would probably be some 3rd party one but I haven't really tested those out. On the poll you should definitely seperate PS3 and PS4 controllers as they are very different in quality. The difference is much bigger than with 360 and Xbone controllers.

Last edited by jaateloauto; 08-23-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Pro

Crystar500's Arena

OVR: 0

I like my Xbox One controller a lot. I don't play 2K on the PS4, so I wouldn't know. I did connect the PS4 controller to my PS3 to see if I can play last-gen with it, but it only works for certain games and every 2K released for PS3 is not one of them. It will work for Sony's NBA 08 (Go figure.).

Xbox One controller is good. The sticks have a bit of grip to them that I like.

Coming from a long-time PS3 user (so long that my internal battery ran out recently), the PS3 controller is really bad, especially for 2K. If you're editing the roster by hand, though, it's ok.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've played on both systems, Xbox One & PS4. Generally they both feel nice, but I prefer the PS4 layout over the Xbox One layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1
Controller survey

I have both and both are solid. I do enjoy the feel of the trigger feedback on dunks for the Xbox one controller quite a lot though. Meanwhile, the media button to record highlights is nice on the PS4, but Xbox automatically records replayed highlights and you can also yell at it to do so on kinect.

XBox one controller is probably a little better fit for my hands but ps4 is also quite good. 2K is definitely tuned and feels closer to the Xbox on ps4 as well, where as the two felt really different sensitivity wise on last gen.

You're really not going to go wrong with either. I just prefer the Xbox because I'm used to more colorful and obvious indicators on screen for icon passing and the more readable ABXY button naming. The Xbox does lag just a little more in some end of quarter cut scenes though.

Last edited by Sundown; 08-24-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 12

Thanks for the feedback fellows, just two quick clarifying notes:

* I will eventually play the game on PC, so any console related difference is i-relevant.

*I am not differentiating between PS# and PS4 since none of the PS controllers is directly compatible with windows so if I opt on going in that direction I will get a 3rd party gamepad with a similar layout.

cheers

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »