Home

The Green Release reign is dangerous

This is a discussion on The Green Release reign is dangerous within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-07-2024, 12:40 AM   #9
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: The Green Release reign is dangerous

This is the main reason the game stopped feeling like basketball after 2K16/17. The "green or miss" BS ruined the entire flow of the game and turned every offensive possession into a timing mini-game instead of a basketball simulation.

The solution has always been the same: Give the offline crowd the ability to choose a "Legacy" shooting mode if they want. If they set shot timing to "Legacy", it will work like it did a decade ago where greens increased your chance of making a shot but didn't guarantee a make, and slightly early/late releases only slightly hurt your chances of making a shot instead of being a guaranteed miss.

The online wannabe pros can still flaunt their greens on Twitter and feel like a bigboy. The offline guys can choose how they want shooting to play out. Everyone wins.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:42 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
I am proposing this for a few years now. We basically have 2 options:

1. This is how shooting was prior to NBA 2k17 (or was it 2k16?):
Green releases do not go in at 100 % but instead just maximize your shooting percentage in correlation with your shooting rating and shot quality. The more off you are from the perfect release point, the worse the percentage that determines if you make the shot gets.

2. This is how it was from 2k17 to ~2k21:
Green releases go in at 100 % but are very very rare. Most of the times someone good at timing the shot will get a slightly early/late release which still goes in at a good clip )and according to your rating and shot quality).

Either option is fine to me compared to what we have now. Upon 2k24's first release, I remember missing open shots more and I liked that because it was realistic. However if you guys remember, a lot of online players whined about not being able to shoot so the patches kept on making shooting easier (especially with open ones).

Preferably, I would like to see open shots be harder and contested shots slightly easier(option 1 did this the best I believe). Of course, we will never see these because of the online community.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:05 PM   #11
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
The Green Release reign is dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
THIS!

This would be the perfect solution. Just give us the option.
The more options the better.

I think it will even out percentages in your league, but won’t be the solution a lot of pure offline players remember it as….but that’s the case with a lot of things, lol

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 05-07-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2024, 02:59 AM   #12
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Cloud
Either option is fine to me compared to what we have now. Upon 2k24's first release, I remember missing open shots more and I liked that because it was realistic. However if you guys remember, a lot of online players whined about not being able to shoot so the patches kept on making shooting easier (especially with open ones).

Preferably, I would like to see open shots be harder and contested shots slightly easier(option 1 did this the best I believe). Of course, we will never see these because of the online community.
Shooting was way too easy even at the beginning. We had teams shooting above 60 % on average with the best team shooting close to 80 % on average from the start of the year in our online league. and thats on superstar difficulty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »