Home

Which year of 2k runs the most effective and accurate triangle offense?

This is a discussion on Which year of 2k runs the most effective and accurate triangle offense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-06-2024, 07:08 AM   #1
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3
Which year of 2k runs the most effective and accurate triangle offense?

I just play offline but Im looking to run the triangle and I want it to be effective with correct spacing and movement. Anyone know which year of 2k did it best?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2024, 12:49 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Which year of 2k runs the most effective and accurate triangle offense?

Are you talking about freelance or set plays?
Old 03-09-2024, 01:45 PM   #3
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildog
Are you talking about freelance or set plays?
How about both? Which version has the best freelance? Which version has the best set plays? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:42 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
How about both? Which version has the best freelance? Which version has the best set plays? Thanks.

Then I don’t have a simple answer lol

TLDR: The freelance runs better and has more pressure releases on Gen4 (old gen) and 2K24 on Gen 5 (next gen) has most of the plays from old gen but also has some new plays for MyEra/Mamba challenge. It also has the better playcalling system. In past years, I’ve made 2K forum threads devoted to the triangle. A lot of that feedback for the devs made it into the game. If you want, take a look around OS for those from previous cycles.

-

For context, we’ve had accurately scouted triangle plays (not just spacing) in the 2k series since 2K11 and the freelance was introduced for 2K15. They have all had their differences.

2K11 had a lot of great plays from those Lakers teams and the 90s bulls added for the original Jordan challenge. However, playcalling system was very archaic then and you could only call a limited amount of plays for each player.

2K12 had less plays but introduced plays that had more branch options and the concept of “persist plays” that didn’t breakdown as easily. I have plays from 2k12 on my old arena page https://forums.operationsports.com/t...e-offense-2k12. However, most of these went away for 2K13 and 2K14.

The Knicks started running the triangle in the 2015 season so 2K15 had some good plays and we were introduced to freelance (motion cuts and scoring action) for the first time. The devs got it running really well by the last patch for 2K16. The pressure releases were popping, broken plays had been fixed and the “smart play” system was excellent. After 2K17/2K18, we started to see some plays be added and removed and I don’t think anything was added for old gen after 2K20.

Once we got on Next Gen consoles, we had a major issues with the freelance until 2K23. 2K24 is in good shape freelance wise but far from perfect. But with MyEras/Mamba challenge, there are a ton of 90s, 00s, and 10s plays to choose from. I have 3 different Eras running in MyNBA right now and I am working on 3 different playbooks to use based on the personnel and actions Phil Jackson liked to call outside of the basic stuff that was on the scouting report.

I’ll probably end up making another thread for 24 once I’m happy with the final and settled on the best play types to assign.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »