Home

Deceased NBA Legends

This is a discussion on Deceased NBA Legends within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #1
Rookie

Hey_Rebby's Arena

OVR: 7
Deceased NBA Legends

Does anyone know why some deceased NBA Legends aren't on the game?

It really bugs me that I can't use the 1994-95 Knicks online with Anthony Mason. Or the 1985-85 Bulls with Orlando Woolridge.

I understand why some retired players refuse to sign on with 2K, but I don't get why Anthony Mason's estate wouldn't sign off on him being in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2024, 03:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Deceased NBA Legends

My guess is either not being able to get in contact with whoever is in charge of their estate or the families not wanting them in the game for some reason.

I know that pjt8405 on here does a lot with getting player's rights to 2k so maybe he knows something more about this.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:17 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Rebby

It really bugs me that I can't use the 1994-95 Knicks online with Anthony Mason. Or the 1985-85 Bulls with Orlando Woolridge.

I understand why some retired players refuse to sign on with 2K, but I don't get why Anthony Mason's estate wouldn't sign off on him being in the game.
With respect to the families, financials are surely a sticking point. Mason and Woolridge died young from sudden heart attacks, and didn't accrue a massive amount of wealth during their playing days. How the families value their likeness rights when a billion-dollar studio comes knocking is entirely up to them.

Does it suck that they're not usable in a video game? Sure.
It sucks a lot more to their children that their father is dead.

In the meantime you can just download a CAP or make them yourself. I imagine very few people use these teams in online game modes.

Here's a career retrospective and rating tribute I made when Mason passed away 9 years ago.
https://thereal2kinsider.blogspot.co...oogle_vignette
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 02-21-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:23 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Rebby

Estate issues I am sure

Now I dont mean to be mean or bogus, but think of a family member that passed away that was really dear to you.. and every time you see them in pictures you feel a little emotional or frustrated that they arent here with you.

Now act as if they were public figures, their smile, voice and body are being replicated constantly on TV networks from replays.. you still grieving because they arent here and remember the convos you had with them. You are human, so you have a variety of emotions when you see them on TV in various ages.

Some family members are still in pain, for whatever the case. We have to remember, these are human beings we are talking about. Not fictional video game characters.

Dealing with estate issues for Private citizen family members is tough, now just think if your family member was a major athlete?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »