Home

Sports Game Resolutions for 2024

This is a discussion on Sports Game Resolutions for 2024 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-17-2024, 04:52 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Sports Game Resolutions for 2024

As we head into a new year and adjust to seeing and writing 2024 instead of...

Written By: Kevin Scott

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2024, 11:29 PM   #2
Pro

vetmin's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sports Game Resolutions for 2024

Good list, but in slight defense of hyperbole, it should be a given that everything is relative when talking video games and that hyperbole is used for rhetorical effect. So, for instance:

“2K24 is frickin’ UGLY!” = “Though one would expect the newer game to look better, 2K24’s visuals are not as good as 2K23’s and maybe even 2K22’s/2K21’s.”

“This game is unplayable!” = “The gameplay issues are annoying enough that I would rather just go back to last year’s game (or the previous year’s game, if last year’s game was also “unplayable”).”

It’s comparable to people complaining about their internet being “slow”, when “slow” today is significantly faster than “fast” when I was younger. We’re being obtuse if we refuse to recognize that “my internet is soooo slow” = “my internet is slow relative to standard internet speeds today”. Likewise, re:

Quote:
…anyone with intelligence has learned that those leading with hyperbole actually do a disservice to any real points they’re trying to make.
…it could be argued that anyone with intelligence will recognize hyperbole (i.e., by definition a purely rhetorical exaggeration) when they see it and will also understand the relative context in which statements about video games (especially annual ones like 2K that naturally invite comparison to previous installments) are made.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:55 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon14 Re: Sports Game Resolutions for 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
Good list, but in slight defense of hyperbole, it should be a given that everything is relative when talking video games and that hyperbole is used for rhetorical effect. So, for instance:

“2K24 is frickin’ UGLY!” = “Though one would expect the newer game to look better, 2K24’s visuals are not as good as 2K23’s and maybe even 2K22’s/2K21’s.”

“This game is unplayable!” = “The gameplay issues are annoying enough that I would rather just go back to last year’s game (or the previous year’s game, if last year’s game was also “unplayable”).”

It’s comparable to people complaining about their internet being “slow”, when “slow” today is significantly faster than “fast” when I was younger. We’re being obtuse if we refuse to recognize that “my internet is soooo slow” = “my internet is slow relative to standard internet speeds today”. Likewise, re:

…it could be argued that anyone with intelligence will recognize hyperbole (i.e., by definition a purely rhetorical exaggeration) when they see it and will also understand the relative context in which statements about video games (especially annual ones like 2K that naturally invite comparison to previous installments) are made.
Excellent post!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »