Home

NBA 2K24 Review: Microtransactions Threaten to Sink Solid On-Court Action

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 Review: Microtransactions Threaten to Sink Solid On-Court Action within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #9
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K24 Review: Microtransactions Threaten to Sink Solid On-Court Action

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wh...CAD-01-10abi2f

I feel like this Gamespot article hit the nail on the head with regard to sport game reviews. I dont think they really matter anymore. IGN gave 2K23 a 6/10 and cited microtransactions. The game still sold 11 million copies. I doubt 2K24 is any different. It's good that reviews are calling how bad they feel the microtransactions affect the game experience.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe

I feel like this Gamespot article hit the nail on the head with regard to sport game reviews. I dont think they really matter anymore. IGN gave 2K23 a 6/10 and cited microtransactions. The game still sold 11 million copies. I doubt 2K24 is any different. It's good that reviews are calling how bad they feel the microtransactions affect the game experience.

Just like Madden, no matter how the "masses" don't like microtransactions and overall direction of game, those games are still hitting high sales marks EVERY year. As many say they don't buy VC, there are tons of people who are willing to spend hundreds of dollars every year on microtransactions. At this point, it would be foolish for companies to change that. We just have to accept it and either adjust to it or move on
Old 09-18-2023, 01:07 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Just like Madden, no matter how the "masses" don't like microtransactions and overall direction of game, those games are still hitting high sales marks EVERY year. As many say they don't buy VC, there are tons of people who are willing to spend hundreds of dollars every year on microtransactions. At this point, it would be foolish for companies to change that. We just have to accept it and either adjust to it or move on

I'm just wishing for more competition again. Sport games were at their best when we had at least EA and Sega Sports (Visual Concept's 2k developers, old company before Take Two bought them) competing with each other along with other companies like 989 Sports (Sony first party). Don't forget about Fifa vs. Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer. We also had some arcade style games like NBA Street, NBA Jam, and Blitz, which were great.

Now days, I feel like a lot of people are just giving in because they're a fan of NFL, NBA, etc and don't have a choice so even if the game is bad, the license will ensure it will sell. So yeah that Gamespot article does have a point that it feels like reviews for sport games are pointless (at least for the ******s who don't pay attention to them).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2023, 02:07 PM   #12
Rookie

I just can't bring myself to buy VC making half the total package unplayable. Which is unfortunate because the modes guarded by the paywall really are fun (if you're competitive). The grind to get good players for those modes is to steep a hill to climb and not worth it (which is probably by design to get you to spend money).

If 2k ever makes these modes as accessible to non-pay to winner's like MLB The Show does they have the ultimate game on their hands. For now I'll stick to playing online with normal teams as that is at least competitive and fun.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:57 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe

yea assuming you get what you got last year for 100bucks, it's a no brainer to just pay that at the start. heh. It's a joke, but the grinding for badges and such, MC stuff is even worse. Sucks because the more people spend and the harder they have the grind, the more toxic they are in team up modes. I really wish 2k had some kind of a intro to being a good teammate thing you had to play thru. lol like earn you 10k vc or something to complete.

I feel sad that it is like it is. I feel bad for the kids who are in that mental state over a game. It's ridic to pay 70 for a game, and then put 100 on it, but if that's the only game you really play, it's almost forgivable... but when you have to play bots or find 5 or go into rando rec, it's like nah. But, really, 2k needs to intervene for their community. I've never seen people behave in the way they behave on 2k online. Maybe like 4 year olds in a store, but not people who are teens and above.

-Smak
Old 09-20-2023, 09:00 AM   #14
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Pretty much agreed. Love the gameplay on the court, but microtransactions are getting out of hand and putting a damper on the experience. I also really miss getting to play All-Star Team Up with friends.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:39 AM   #15
Rookie

Can't blame developers. Gotta blame the executives for corporate greed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2023, 09:11 AM   #16
Pro

blk5tar5's Arena

1st great article, 2nd this could be the reason why NBA 2K has put a 3hr trial on psn plus premium as the sales numbers aren't that great. Microtransactions are proving to be bad for the game overall.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »