Home

2K24 Paint Legacy Issues Fixed?

This is a discussion on 2K24 Paint Legacy Issues Fixed? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
2K24 Paint Legacy Issues Fixed?

Really excited for you guys to get your hands on a new version of 2K (still not enough quality games to warrant a PS5 purchase for me) but really hoping they address some of the Paint Legacy issues. The game would be so much more balanced in an online setting if they addressed it. Here's an interaction from a very good PNO player (Vlad Wavvy)

He passes the ball right past Banchero much too easily and while I love how Claxton immediately got bodied up imagine if thats Embiid, Ayton or Jokic. The game simply has to lower the amount of easy post touches. Because the next thing you see is him being static after his backdown and resort to pump fakes that the defender doesnt fall for. Lastly, Banchero has to perfectly time his block to stop a shot point blank at the rim--and solid defense shouldn't require a PERFECT defensive possession like you see here.

1. Easy Passes into the paint - The game MUST lower the amount of paint catches because an offensive player close to the rim will always break the game in a sense. An offense should have to work to get paint touches. I always wonder why deflections out of bounds aren't one of the staple mechanics in the game...they would make things so much easier here without making the turnover numbers excessive while still rewarding the defense. Another benefit? Gameplay automatically gives good passers value when not everyone can thread the needle with passes into the paint.

2. Dislodges - The post "push" when Claxton first catches the ball and this dislodge I saw Embiid do back in 2K16 are good mechanics that display how not everyone is strong enough to be in the paint. MORE OF THIS PLEASE.

3. Crowding - The Single best mechanic in the game that goes IGNORED and I still have no clue WHY?? It should trigger almost instantly when we point the Defensive Stick towards a static offensive player or counter Pump Fakes with Hands Up defense (which should give the defender the advantage) Shooting vs Crowding should be extremely low percentage and continuing an offensive move should have a high Offensive Foul rate.

4. Strips - These HAVE to be a counter for Pump faking offensive players and guys being static or if the defensive player just has good ratings/timing.

Look forwarding to seeing you guys PNO videos. Its how i've gotten my 2K Fix the past few years lol.

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-19-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: 2K24 Paint Legacy Issues Fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Really excited for you guys to get your hands on a new version of 2K (still not enough quality games to warrant a PS5 purchase for me) but really hoping they address some of the Paint Legacy issues. The game would be so much more balanced in an online setting if they addressed it. Here's an interaction from a very good PNO player (Vlad Wavvy)

He passes the ball right past Banchero much too easily and whole I love how Claxton immediately got bodied up imagine if thats Embiid, Ayton or Jokic. The game simply has to lower the amount of easy post touches. Because the next thing you see is him being static after his backdown and resort to pump fakes that the defender doesnt fall for. Lastly, Banchero has to perfectly time his block to stop a shot point blank at the rim--and solid defense shouldn't require a PERFECT defensive possession like you see here.

1. Easy Passes into the paint - The game MUST lower the amount of paint catches because an offensive player close to the rim will always break the game in a sense. An offense should have to work to get paint touches. I always wonder why deflections out of bounds aren't one of the staple mechanics in the game...they would make things so much easier here without making the turnover numbers excessive while still rewarding the defense. Another benefit? Gameplay automatically gives good passers value when not everyone can thread the needle with passes into the paint.

2. Dislodges - The post "push" when Claxton first catches the ball and this dislodge I saw Embiid do back in 2K16 are good mechanics that display how not everyone is strong enough to be in the paint. MORE OF THIS PLEASE.

3. Crowding - The Single best mechanic in the game that goes IGNORED and I still have no clue WHY?? It should trigger almost instantly when we point the Defensive Stick towards a static offensive player or when counter Pump Fakes with Hands Up defense (which should give the defender the advantage) Shooting vs Crowding should be extremely low percentage and continuing an offensive move should have a high Offensive Foul rate.

4. Strips - These HAVE to be a counter for Pump faking offensive players and guys being static or if the defensive player just has good ratings/timing.

Look forwarding to seeing you guys PNO videos. Its how i've gotten my 2K Fix the past few years lol.

Great videos. I agree with every point. The worst part of the game is the ability of any big to be strong, and skilled enough to get under the rim. Additionally, pumpfakes having no downside around the rim is almost as bad. Removing those 2 things in addtion to the paint passing would cure 90 percent of the game.

There should be a button to trigger that crowd animation around the rim. Either leading to a foul or a win for the defense.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 08-18-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Great videos. I agree with every point. The worst part of the game is the ability of any big to be strong, and skilled enough to get under the rim. Additionally, pumpfakes having no downside around the rim is almost as bad. Removing those 2 things in addtion to the paint passing would cure 90 percent of the game.

There should be a button to trigger that crowd animation around the rim. Either leading to a foul or a win for the defense.
Rob whats good? Hope you doing ok brodie...I was looking at PNR videos and even realized how much it would help those interactions. Not every defender that hedges-then-ends-up-in-trail position would result in a dunk or layup. A great deal of passes to the roller would be deflections out of bounds which is a really nice counter to PNR spam. And I said years ago that CIRCLE would be the perfect Pass Deflect button.

You KNOW i've been a big fan of that Crowding animation for awhile if the Right Stick becomes our quick, intuitive tool on defense IMO its as easy as pointing the R-Stick at a static offensive player or a guy pump faking to trigger it--and like you mention, if we balance it with contact fouls we dont have to worry about it being abused.

We need quick options on D to combat how varied and fast the offensive options and movement have become.

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-19-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:06 AM   #4
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Rob whats good? Hope you doing ok brodie...I was looking at PNR videos and even realized how much it would help those interactions. Not every defender that hedges-then-ends-up-in-trail position would result in a dunk. A great deal of passes to the roller would be deflections out of bounds which is a really nice counter to PNR spam. And I said years ago that CIRCLE would be the perfect Pass Deflect button.

You KNOW i've been a big fan of that Crowding animation for awhile if the Right Stick becomes our quick, intuitive tool on defense IMO its as easy as pointing the R-Stick at a static offensive player or a guy pump faking to trigger it--and like you mention, if we balance it with contact fouls we dont have to worry about it being abused.

We need quick options on D to combat how varied and fast the offensive options and movement have become.
They also need a real intentional foul button. Hitting a the intentional foul button should be contextual. Hut it while the offensive player is shooting and it should be a hard foul to prevent a make. Hit it while they are pumpfaking and it should be a quick rap up.

Currently the intentional foul button is slow to trigger and doesn't work when a shooting animation has begun.

A hack button.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 08-19-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
They also need a real intentional foul button. Hitting a the intentional foul button should be contextual. Hut it while the offensive player is shooting and it should be a hard foul to prevent a make. Hit it while they are pumpfaking and it should be a quick rap up.

Currently the intentional foul button is slow to trigger and doesn't work when a shooting animation has begun.

A hack button.
You're right bro...from a strategy standpoint maybe its a game with 40 seconds left where i'm up 3. I got Harden as the low man and Claxton is pump-faking in the paint--a wrap up is a good idea even if it puts me in the penalty. He's a bad FT shooter and him at the line is a better outcome for me than an easy bucket or And1.

That's the kind of strategy that will bring me back to 2K--you know how long i've wanted to call plays in a timeout, put a play-call on repeat (so it starts running the minute we cross half-court) or mirror a guy's minutes? PJ Tucker vs Giannis for instance lol. So anytime Giannis is in the game so is PJ And don't even get me started on a 3rd foul penalty in PNO and having to rest your starters to avoid fatigue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2023, 02:29 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Another really good video of Paint Passing from an ELITE player (Groovy probably one of the best in the world) you'll notice the other users strategy is to cut Embiid to the rim and then pass to him pointblank at the basket. This is NIGHTMARE SCENARIO, you've got an elite passer (Harden) and elite finisher (Embiid) so its dunk city after the catch. At the end of the clip we finally see a deflection that results in a turnover--I think deflections out of bounds are a better mechanic because it doesnt make the game as sloppy. They should be the norm with guys passing in the paint. The change in gameplay should be so stark that we should see them on 50% of PNR plays.

I will say this: I think zones should struggle vs paint passing. Even after the change for gameplay to give us Deflections Out of Bounds we should see dramatically less of those when players are in zone.

Kinda funny that Groovy does a lil rant about passing to cutters when he sits in zone and spams steal--I definitely respect his skill as a player (and I get that zones are the meta) but you're in no position to complain about "spamming triangle" when you're "spamming square" on defense

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-20-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:01 PM   #7
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

I guess its only right Paint Passing decided the WIN in this one. Great game, but IMO the experience is so much better when the exploits are at a minimum. Check it out:

Best part is when he looks at the replay after the game to see the last pass to Embiid in the paint lol

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-20-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:34 PM   #8
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Soooo....like I said above deflections out of bounds should be one of the most common animations we see in gameplay. Elite level passers should be able to fit passes into tight windows. This immediately gives them value in the PNR and on passes into the paint (which still shouldnt be high percentage, btw)...but this?

https://twitter.com/NBA2KLab/status/...900915978?s=20

UGH. We just discussed this. Missed deflections or steals? sure, but moving the defender out of the way to make an elite passer good? NAW.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »