Home

Ratings boost for Pistons Dennis Rodman

This is a discussion on Ratings boost for Pistons Dennis Rodman within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-16-2023, 06:35 PM   #1
Rookie

Hey_Rebby's Arena

OVR: 7
Ratings boost for Pistons Dennis Rodman

Diehard Pistons fan from way back in the day...there hasn't been much to enjoy with the Pistons on 2K in recent years. The current team sucks and the 2004 team is a shell of itself.

I got really fired up today. Playing as the 89 Pistons against my friend online with the 86 Hawks. I put Rodman in the starting lineup to guard Wilkins. I don't know why I haven't noticed this before, but Rodman's, perimeter defense rating is a joke...53!!! Dominique wasn't known for his D and he's a 87. Hell, the person I replaced int he starting lineup, Mark Aguirre, is a 83.
How the hell is a guy that is known as one of the greatest defenders of all-time a 53 for perimeter D? He was first-team all-NBA defense in 89.

Then I looked at the AT Pistons. That version is only a 66. The AT Bulls' Rodman has a perimeter defense of 77!!! People, Jerry Stackhouse, a man that was a liability on defense, is rated a 78 for perimeter D on the All-Time Pistons. Rodman on the Pistons was known for guarding the best offensive player on the other side, whether he was a shooting guard, small forward, PF, or center. He didn't really guard wings when he was a Bull.

I know this is a minor then for most, but for a Pistons fan, it would be nice to have our teams with the best and true representation of our guys.

Who is the best person nowadays to try to contact at 2K to share this frustration/request for improvement, Czar?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2023, 08:17 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Ratings boost for Pistons Dennis Rodman

I feel like they often boost the defensive attributes of great offensive players so it keeps their overall rating up?

Doncic usually ends up making multiple All-D teams, for example.

But yes, making Rodman a poor to average perimeter defender misunderstands who he was as a player.

Last edited by sirdez; 06-16-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:02 AM   #3
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdez
I feel like they often boost the defensive attributes of great offensive players so it keeps their overall rating up?
As a Warriors fan I’ve always been annoyed that Curry is the seeming exception to this, when in reality he’s always been one of the least egregious examples of the all-O / zero-D guards. IIRC the default Lillard and Westbrook are always ranked higher on D, despite being consistently worse. It almost seems like 2K thinks if you’re a guard who is athletic enough to dunk, you must be better defensively than a guard who can’t.

(EDIT: Just looked up the current default ratings and it appears that 2K has finally wisened up to an extent, with Curry ranked higher defensively now than the other big-time scoring guards. It’s only by a hair though in some cases (compared to Westbrook, for instance), when in reality Curry is significantly better than these other dudes on D at this point. Ja actually has better all-around defensive ratings than Curry even now, which is ludicrous. Looney also never gets any respect on 2K.)

As to the OP: Unfortunately, the best way to get 2K to change something like that is to ridicule it on Twitter and get a bunch of people joining you on the hate train.

Last edited by vetmin; 06-17-2023 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 02:30 AM   #4
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

The way the gameplay is constructed, the 89 Pistons are a hard team to win with. Isiah is too short to finish inside, Lambier's shot release has been impossible to time for over a decade now, Rodman feels slow as you said.

But I've always been a believer in that badges heavily out weigh attributes. That 89 squad is stacked with gold & hof defensive/rebounding badges on the perimeter & in the inside for being a tier 2 team. Matter of fact, I think it's actually ridiculous how insane the difference is between defensive squads like the Bad boys, 65 Celtics, 86 Celtics, 97 Heat, 91 Bulls, etc. vs the current teams in tier 2 & 3 is.

This guy I played had the 04 Lakers, and proceeded to anhialate me, not because he was incredible with Kobe & Shaq (which he was), but he played all 5 of those starters super tight against my guys, and my guys literally could not breathe. Screens & cuts weren't working because how insane that team is badged defensively. I knew Rick Fox was the only guy not badged defensively, but I still couldn't muster offense against that squad.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:35 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

@ Funk haha dude doesn't even post here, but the hilarious story of when we played the bad boy pistons one year and got all pumped to out muscle a team or whatever and the dudes could NOT RUN UP THE FLOOR. We got beat by bots because we could literally not get back on defense. 2k is on some weird stuff with non stars.

I have started a few fantasy leagues, and I have pet players... to be honest, Dennis Rodman is a big factor. I pick him 3rd or 2nd depending on where I am on the serpent.

He does not need a ratings boost imo. He's a monster!! At least the way I do sliders he is. btw my sliders boost nothing except mid and 3 to 55 because bots WACK. I mean he's a monster playing vs the AI. I got vid of Rodman doing work I think.

What exactly do you want him to do, functionally?

Oh, the team being wrongly constructed, heh. I'd say keep the players you love and trade the others for newer stars lol. Yeppp. Dudes can fit on some team for sure, but the way that team is constructed is just not good enough. Unless Isiah gets 40 or w/e, but that doesn't happen too often.

Cool story: perimeter defense of that for someone who can lock inside as hard is pretty good. I have 79 on myplayer and it's stupid. It's like I can just glue to people. Rodman wasn't that good at defense. 86 breakpoint is beyond nuts. Those are like fantasy land levels. 75 would be average for a guard, given his athleticism (because to be real he DID make some mistakes on the perimeter, way more than inside, and he just made up for it with athleticism and effort.) He's a 6'8 pf can get the ball all sorts of ways, can even dunk on people. I usually lower perimeter defense to make things even less sticky, but Rodman is still killing on defense. If you wanna use Rodman as a player, I would roam in this 'meta' because he can pass, too. Like if you decide to keep him on your squad, but I'd def say trade a bunch of people who the game bummed out. Rodman ain't one of them. He got better at certain things but that Rodman is for real beasty cpu vs cpu and I dunno what else you could want.

Also Rodman shines as a small forward in this era. Not saying put him at SF, but he can get minutes. That's what I do with Rodman, too, is play him like 44 minutes a game lol.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLSmak; 06-17-2023 at 04:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
Rookie

Hey_Rebby's Arena

OVR: 7

What exactly do you want him to do, functionally?

-Smak[/quote]

I want him to annoy the hell out of my opponent's small forward. Stopping a Jordan or LeBron isn't realistic, but 89 Rodman should be able to give fits to the Dominique's, Birds, and Worthy's of the game.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:25 PM   #7
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Yea Carmelo Anthony's D rating was always way too high like he was a great defender. At least when he was on the Knicks. But in reality he's one of the worst in real life.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:46 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

It’s because 2K thinks Rodman was a power forward at that time, when he was more of a wing then. Even still, it’s insane that his perimeter d rating is that low.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »