Home

Offensive and Defensive Consistency?

This is a discussion on Offensive and Defensive Consistency? within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Rookie

Wolverine3's Arena

OVR: 5
Offensive and Defensive Consistency?

What do these sliders affect in game? Is it how consistent the players hit their shots and how consistent they play good D? What kind of slider numbers are you guys using? I've tried both 0 and 100 for both and I haven't noticed much difference in gameplay. Don't really know where I should put my sliders at
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Offensive and Defensive Consistency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine3
What do these sliders affect in game? Is it how consistent the players hit their shots and how consistent they play good D? What kind of slider numbers are you guys using? I've tried both 0 and 100 for both and I haven't noticed much difference in gameplay. Don't really know where I should put my sliders at
Offensive consistency affects a few things, most notably:
-How much making and missing a shot affects getting hot/cold.
-The length of hot and cold streaks.
I have this set at 75 because it helps the stars to get hot and cold more easily. It's hard to explain though.

If Stephen Curry goes 7/10 shooting in the first half, he'll tear you apart in the second half if no defensive adjustments are made. Conversely, if he goes 2/10 in the first half and he's on your team, you will either have to work on getting better looks for him or give someone else more shots because it'll be a bit harder to get him back on track.

I believe defensive consistency works similairly. I have defensive consistency set at 25 to help seperate stronger, more consistent defensive teams like the Bulls from below average ones like the Wolves. A below average defensive player, or team, may make a solid stop one possession, but shouldn't be expected to do this regularly.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
I have this set at 75 because it helps the stars to get hot and cold more easily. It's hard to explain though.

If Stephen Curry goes 7/10 shooting in the first half, he'll tear you apart in the second half if no defensive adjustments are made. Conversely, if he goes 2/10 in the first half and he's on your team, you will either have to work on getting better looks for him or give someone else more shots because it'll be a bit harder to get him back on track.

I believe defensive consistency works similairly. I have defensive consistency set at 25 to help seperate stronger, more consistent defensive teams like the Bulls from below average ones like the Wolves. A below average defensive player, or team, may make a solid stop one possession, but shouldn't be expected to do this regularly.
This is interesting to me... I've been really intrigued by the consistency sliders, but I've taken the opposite approach for offense... I've lowered both to 35 and I feel like that's really brought out hot and cold games for players and teams... Using your Curry example, if Curry goes 2/10 in the first half, I'm of the opinion that he's almost bound to get hot at some point during the game if he's getting good looks and that's been the case with my current settings... That said I feel like most of my looks are open jumpers and I still see some hot/cold streaks... One thing I can say for sure is that with both at 50, over the course of a 48 minute game I don't feel like there's nearly enough runs made by either team.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robantle
This is interesting to me... I've been really intrigued by the consistency sliders, but I've taken the opposite approach for offense... I've lowered both to 35 and I feel like that's really brought out hot and cold games for players and teams... Using your Curry example, if Curry goes 2/10 in the first half, I'm of the opinion that he's almost bound to get hot at some point during the game if he's getting good looks and that's been the case with my current settings... That said I feel like most of my looks are open jumpers and I still see some hot/cold streaks... One thing I can say for sure is that with both at 50, over the course of a 48 minute game I don't feel like there's nearly enough runs made by either team.
35? Interesting that you'd decrease this for offensive consistency.

I think with offensive consistency below 50, it's hard to get strong contributions from guys coming off of the bench. I'm not sure though.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
35? Interesting that you'd decrease this for offensive consistency.

I think with offensive consistency below 50, it's hard to get strong contributions from guys coming off of the bench. I'm not sure though.
Ahh I see what you're saying... In my mind I'm thinking cold 1st half then a hot 2nd half = inconsistent which is what I want to see, as opposed to saying the fact that they even out over the course of an entire game = consistent... So would bringing consistency up just increase hot streaks and decrease the length of cold streaks? I'm still not entirely sure how it works, everything just felt too consistent game to game when they were both on 50...

That said, I feel like my contributions off the bench are very realistic... I'll have a guy come in and get hot one game and drop close to 20, then a couple games later he can't hit an open shot for anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Ive got this in my 'Interesting slider name which isnt explained and which probably has a negligible effect on the game anyway' pile.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Rookie

Wolverine3's Arena

Quote:

Thanks man makes a lot of sense. I've been playing with consistency at 25 because I assumed that would make for a more diverse game, but now that you mention it I don't see very much hot/cold streaks. I'm thinking of just keeping defense at 50 but might experiment with 25 or so if you're getting good results.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Rookie

Wolverine3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Ive got this in my 'Interesting slider name which isnt explained and which probably has a negligible effect on the game anyway' pile.
Yeah, weird how 2k doesn't explain any of the sliders

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »