Home

EA Sports MMA "Parrying"

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA "Parrying" within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
EA Sports MMA "Parrying"

So I went ahead and bought this game after renting it. It is way better than UFC Undisputed. Love the fluidity of the gameplay.

With that said, I created a boxer in Career mode, and I can't parry for crap. I try to time my opponent's shots, but the majority of the time I'm getting whacked, while my opponent can easily parry. Are there any tips out there on how to parry correctly? Or do I just suck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: EA Sports MMA "Parrying"

I am not going to say you suck (Not my style), but parrying is one of the most difficult aspects of the game for me to master, not that I have. One bit of advice I can give is that it's a rhythm thing... Holding RT/R2 and flicking the RS in the general direction of the strike will usually parry the strike. However, there are other factors involved, such as;

1) Fighter ratings in blocking
2) Opponents ratings in speed and range
3) how well you can avoid being in the opponents wheelhouse

In this game even if you block or parry a strike, how you are positioned can still impact whether you get hit with that strike or it sets you up for the follow-up strike.

The rhythm thing comes in because you can't deny takedowns or clinches with the block button/trigger held. Defense is sort of like a dance combining dashes (flicks of the LS in the standard four directions) which employs a bob and weave type animation in which your head is practically un-hitable (Your body is not however). with RT/R2 to block you face with the standard arms up and together, fists turned out in front of your face, with the sway, which is just like the dash only the RT/R2 is held, and parries.

What I do, and I am by no means an expert, but what I have had a modicum of success with is when I parry I think of my RS as circle with four quadrants, up and down left and up and down right. I try to press the RT/R2 and move the RS to the quadrant where I think the strike is coming from.

In theory it sound right, and easy, but it's not either. In a nutshell you have the following defensive tools;

1) Blocks RT/R2
2) Sways RT/R2 + LS Up,Down,Left Or Right
3) Parries RT/R2 + RS Up-Left,Down-Left, Up-Right or Down-Right
4) Dash - LS Flick Up, Down, Left or Right

How, and when you use any and all of these tools is dependent upon your fighters style and ratings, along with your stick skills. And remember, while you are trying to determine which tool is best for as particular situation you still have to be ready to deny takedowns and clinches with the O/B button. Which you can't do if you have the block button pressed.You'll also come to realise which offensive attacks flow better off of each defensive tool and you'll be able to takedown the CPU or your opponent and put them in clinches.

Certain offensive strikes are defensive in nature as well. Leg kicks are quick and can act as interceptors of offensive strikes by your opponent or the CPU if timed right. The Teep Kick is also a nice offensive move. If utilized correctly can push an opponent backwards or into the cage if initiated in the right place. Don't sleep on the tried and true left or right jab. It's usually quick and and works either to the head or body, and always helps to set up other strikes.

This probably helped me more than it does you, but I hope this does help you as well.

Peace

MrMars
Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks for the thorough tip. I'll keep these things in mind.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Awesome tip! Should help my stand up a lot...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6

I guess i just suck. I've read the advice over and over and i try applying the techniques but to no avail. My carreer mode fighter is a HW with a block rating of 92 and chin rating of 93 but whenever i meet Fedor, Overeem or Rogers i barely last half of the first round. Now it's not THAT i'm losing that's getting annoying it's HOW. They seem to strike through my block like it's not even there. 2 or 3 strikes and my head meter is down to nothing basically...that's way too fast. Parrying and dashing are unresponsive for the most part so i'm left there to just take shots to the head because they come out from the beginning of the fight throwing non-stop. I've tried to jab or leg kick when they come in but after that the onslaught begins because it's like i can't get away. I wish there was some other way to parry because the "flicking", for me, is unresponsive at the most crucial times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Rookie

delspf's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
I guess i just suck. I've read the advice over and over and i try applying the techniques but to no avail. My carreer mode fighter is a HW with a block rating of 92 and chin rating of 93 but whenever i meet Fedor, Overeem or Rogers i barely last half of the first round. Now it's not THAT i'm losing that's getting annoying it's HOW. They seem to strike through my block like it's not even there. 2 or 3 strikes and my head meter is down to nothing basically...that's way too fast. Parrying and dashing are unresponsive for the most part so i'm left there to just take shots to the head because they come out from the beginning of the fight throwing non-stop. I've tried to jab or leg kick when they come in but after that the onslaught begins because it's like i can't get away. I wish there was some other way to parry because the "flicking", for me, is unresponsive at the most crucial times.
Same boat. I just had Babalou rape my face in the first two minutes with 8 strikes

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »