Home

Pickoffs need to be reduced

This is a discussion on Pickoffs need to be reduced within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Pickoffs need to be reduced

I hope they fix pickoffs. The amount they allow is ridiculous. CPU seems to be able to pick off guys at a ridiculous rate even on lower difficulty. I have guys with 95 plus speed and 90 plus steal getting picked off routinely. Bad look. They need to fix that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Pickoffs need to be reduced

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottago24
I hope they fix pickoffs. The amount they allow is ridiculous. CPU seems to be able to pick off guys at a ridiculous rate even on lower difficulty. I have guys with 95 plus speed and 90 plus steal getting picked off routinely. Bad look. They need to fix that.
Stop taking an extra lead off of first...you don't need to do that, the base lead is a normal lead for steal attempts.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
MVP

Archie56's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Stop taking an extra lead off of first...you don't need to do that, the base lead is a normal lead for steal attempts.
Yeah, taking that extra lead is not necessary at all to steal a base. All you're doing is just asking to be picked off lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

I have to be honest that I've been playing the show since 2006 and I never knew that. I thought it was the only way to improve steal success and just thought the game was excessively aggressive on pickoffs.
However, I also find that players are far too low rated on steal ability.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

Stealing has been a nightmare for me with the mets, mostly because there’s very little speed on the team but I’ve found L2 only, probably won’t get you to second unless you’re fast. I pre-load to steal with L2 then AFTER the pitcher has taken his look over to first press L1…I’ve had more success.

You press L1 too early you’re in a run down at best- which are too easy to escape IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
Rookie

The amount of pickoff attempts needs to be toned down with quick play. I can see on the higher difficulty levels w/ the pitcher being more effective.

But if I just want some XP before I leave for work on rookie. The pickoff/number of attempts are ridiculous to me. OT, but whats the point of waiting for an obvious foul ball to land in the stands?

Last edited by imreal; 09-03-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
That’s the problem, there’s no cat & mouse game. Every year I’m sending SDS my suggestions including having small increment leadoff steps. Depending on player’s skills, you can take none, 1 or 2 or even maybe 3 small steps.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown
That’s the problem, there’s no cat & mouse game. Every year I’m sending SDS my suggestions including having small increment leadoff steps. Depending on player’s skills, you can take none, 1 or 2 or even maybe 3 small steps.
But there is a cat and mouse.

While its true that you can successfully steal a base with the standard leadoff, increasing your lead by a step greatly increases your chances, especially with lower rated steal/speed guys.

The problem is that people will automatically press L1 to take the extra step lead too soon. You need to wait for the pitcher to come set, check the runner and then try to take that extra step lead. This will at times cause the pitcher to throw over again which you may or may not get picked off.

Also if you que up a steal there are times the pitcher will throw over to keep the baserunner close. Queing the steal is similar to the runner leaning or shuffling his feet to better his chances at stealing the base.

I've been picked off queing a steal and have picked off the CPU with a normal lead because I believe they were going to steal on that pitch, but I threw over and caught them "leaning".

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »