Home

MLB The Show 21 - PS5 Vs. PS4 Graphics Comparison

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 - PS5 Vs. PS4 Graphics Comparison within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #81
Pro

ReturnoftheTmac's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 21 - PS5 Vs. PS4 Graphics Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
If you guys think FIFA and NBA 2k look drastically different, it only has to do with the lighting. *FIFA textures are essentially the same. *The only difference made was the lighting and upgrades with how everything looked in HDR. *2K I’ll admit made some updates to the faces (and more as the year has gone on), but again most of the graphical updates have everything to do with the lighting and how it impacts how everything looks. *The models and more textures are the same (just now at 4K HDR), although I do expect them to continue to improve over the next few years.

The Show’s problem isn’t lighting since that’s all been fixed and overall the game looks visually better. *The Show’s problem is the player models have looked outdated for 3-4 years now. *The skin textures are clay-like and other than the new face scans from the last two years, the models look washed out and unrealistic. *Now like someone said, last gen SDS focused more on tweaking the gameplay/physics so we didn’t see major model updates until 2-3 years later and I expect the same here. *But the atmosphere and lighting is definitely is improved from what I saw in 20 on PS4 pro and will hopefully improve going forward (especially once things aren’t COVID impacted).

Honestly I have to turn HDR off for NBA 2k on ps5 because of how bad the uniforms colors look. Just washed out and no richness to them. If you go to the edit player screen and can switch from HDR on/off you can tell. HDR almost ads a hazy film to 2K imo. FIFA imo did however kill the next gen graphics over all the other sports titles. It seems like every other sports game is really having trouble with lighting etc on next gen.

Went through the edit player menu and tried to see how colors looked on the show and I can’t see I’ve got a true feel for it yet. I noticed the Cards team color on shoes and pads etc seems off but I think it’s been like that for years. Also might just be how it is in real life as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #82
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I thought the graphics leap was in the frames per second?
Frame per second has been good sense ps3 out side of cutscenes that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
The lighting and atmosphere does look better. *Players are pretty much the same. *Also you can tell which players faces are new tech because the last few years, the new guys have looked way better. *Kershaw and crew are years old and they clearly never gave them new scans.

SDS didn’t really up the graphics on PS4 until 17 so I’d expect it’s the same boat here. *Won’t be for another 2 years until the graphics and models are drastically improved.
If they graphics are going to get better it would likely be this year or next. After like 1-2 years the graphic jumps in sports games from 1 year to the next tend to be very small.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #83
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnoftheTmac
Honestly I have to turn HDR off for NBA 2k on ps5 because of how bad the uniforms colors look. Just washed out and no richness to them. If you go to the edit player screen and can switch from HDR on/off you can tell. HDR almost ads a hazy film to 2K imo. FIFA imo did however kill the next gen graphics over all the other sports titles. It seems like every other sports game is really having trouble with lighting etc on next gen.

Went through the edit player menu and tried to see how colors looked on the show and I can’t see I’ve got a true feel for it yet. I noticed the Cards team color on shoes and pads etc seems off but I think it’s been like that for years. Also might just be how it is in real life as well.
Yeah can confirm HDR is hit or miss on 2K, and the color palette is still borked at times. I do think it's still the best raw graphics, but FIFA is cleaner for sure.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #84
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Wow I was hoping for a few surprises here and there but absolutely nothing. The fast load times are nice but I don’t find the haptic feedback such a big deal.

Also this weird thing is back.

Before you select a pitch the grass is rendered 3d:

After you’ve selected the pitch the grass goes flat:

I mean come on the PS5 should be able to handle this.
This was always a pet peeve of mine! Once you notice it you can't not notice it! I too was hoping the power of the PS5 would eliminate this, apparently not smh. Disappointing to say the least...
Old 04-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #85
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
Completely get everyone saying it's not much of an upgrade, but remember the law of diminishing returns. As we go up in consoles, the graphical leap is not going to be as substantial. If you are thinking we are going PS1 to PS2, you are out of your mind.
"Law of Diminishing Returns" only really applies to polygon count. We've pretty much reached the pinnacle of poly count. Where next gen will truly see it's graphics jump is in lighting, animation, and physics simulation. Things like ray-traced lighting/reflections, volumetric lighting, sub-surface scattering, muscle deformation, and cloth & hair simulation. These are where we can still see big leaps in graphics for the new generation.

I'm not saying all of these thing should be expected to be in year one, but to say graphics can't get much better is objectively untrue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #86
Rookie

JahCreations's Arena

OVR: 2

Its not a huge jump.. but instantly notice that smooth 4k 60/fps on the ps5. Can now be accurate with my timing without having to mess with visual settings
Old 04-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #87
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFunaro
You won't see anything truly "next-gen" until they stop developing for last-gen.

I'll save you guys the suspense right now: If The Show '22 is going to release on PS4 next year, expect another dose of next-gen disappointment.

As long as the ps5 is hard to get and the installbase is not even close to half of the ps4 sales (100 million) this game will keep getting released on the ps4. I think maybe ‘23 they will ditch the ps4 but definitely not next year.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:08 PM   #88
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
I honestly can not tell any difference at all!!!

The big question is why?????????

So basically I sold my PS4 Pro back in September for extra money to get a $500 PS5 which I am still waiting for by the way to get what looks like just a slightly sharper looking MLB The Show with smooth 4k60????

I should have kept my PS4 Pro so I could have at least still been playing the game and now I have nothing!!!

I mean if MLB The Show 21 on PS5 actually took the same kind of graphic leap that NBA2K21 did then my long *** wait would be ok. But now sadly when I do finally get a PS5 it looks like I will pretty much be playing MLB The Show 21 PS4 2.0!

What a mistake I made.

All that based on a YouTube video? Chill bro, it’s gonna be awesome when u actually play it and have it in front of u

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »