Home

PS5 and MLB20 is Smooth As Butter, But next Year?

This is a discussion on PS5 and MLB20 is Smooth As Butter, But next Year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-13-2020, 11:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
PS5 and MLB20 is Smooth As Butter, But next Year?

so, not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but now that PS5 is running at 60fps @ 4k HDR, 'Sharper' details what about next year? My thought is, if they further improve graphics, add ray tracing, etc. we're back to where we ended with the PS4, having to run maximum 30fps with all the eye candy on the PS5 and we'll have the same complaints again. My guess is we won't see 60fps with RT on, better graphics etc until PS6? It's like we're in a never ending cycle where we're always trying to play catch up.

That said, loving the PS5 and the current gen MLB, it's so smooth at 4k, maximum details but next year could be the same ball game as the PS4. It might look better but at the cost of that butter smooth framerate even on PS5. What do you think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #2
MVP

Archie56's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PS5 and MLB20 is Smooth As Butter, But next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPuddy
so, not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but now that PS5 is running at 60fps @ 4k HDR, 'Sharper' details what about next year? My thought is, if they further improve graphics, add ray tracing, etc. we're back to where we ended with the PS4, having to run maximum 30fps with all the eye candy on the PS5 and we'll have the same complaints again. My guess is we won't see 60fps with RT on, better graphics etc until PS6? It's like we're in a never ending cycle where we're always trying to play catch up.

That said, loving the PS5 and the current gen MLB, it's so smooth at 4k, maximum details but next year could be the same ball game as the PS4. It might look better but at the cost of that butter smooth framerate even on PS5. What do you think?
My thoughts are that The Show doesn't really need ray tracing. Just my two cents but I'd rather have smoother gameplay than ray tracing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
Pro

Good post, I totally thought about this.. honestly they need to keep it as smooth as it is now, it makes a HUGE difference to the experience. Worth sacrificing some visuals IMO
Old 11-14-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie56
My thoughts are that The Show doesn't really need ray tracing. Just my two cents but I'd rather have smoother gameplay than ray tracing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
yea, not sure how important RT is on a sports games but even if they add more details to stadiums, and textures and animations to the players etc. I'm hoping it won't come at the cost of that smooth framerate we have now.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:04 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy99
Good post, I totally thought about this.. honestly they need to keep it as smooth as it is now, it makes a HUGE difference to the experience. Worth sacrificing some visuals IMO
yes, hope they can keep it like this even if they can add even more realism to the graphics but that's always ends up being the problem.

It's like with the remake of spiderman and demons souls, they added more detail to the graphics and ray tracing, and they look amazing, but then you're back to 30fps. What we really want is RT On, amazing next gen graphics, 4k hdr @ 60fps, hahaha.

By the time PS6 comes out, then we'll be talking about 8k then the cycle continues all over again.

Last edited by DavidPuddy; 11-14-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2020, 12:25 AM   #6
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Curious how the older versions will look.

I've gone back to '17 for Season mode. (which was the first year of HDR, as I recall) won't know how it looks until Tuesday.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:41 AM   #7
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

The PS4/PS4 Pro have basically pushed as far as they are going to go. That's why it actually runs well on the PS5 since it's more powerful. Unlike the switch from PS3 to PS4 the systems aren't completely different hence the reason we can get backwards compatible games on PS5. So instead of learning from scratch veteran dev teams basically have 7 years of experience in a similar environment. A game built specifically for the PS5 should have no problems looking good and running smoothly.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 3

I remember how they would talk about how once Ps3 rolled around load times would be non existent. They got worse. I remember they said once PS4 rolled around they would be much improved. They got worse. As others have said, it’s an endless cycle. Instead of optimizing the game, they build more and more on top.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »