Home

The sorry state of sports gaming

This is a discussion on The sorry state of sports gaming within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
Rookie

ThePride1987's Arena

OVR: 0
The sorry state of sports gaming

Guys, why do we continue to allow this? Those of us who are franchise mode truthers are getting boned right now. Micro transactions are not just the future, we're living in it. Modes like DD and MUT (or even PT for you OOTP ppl out there) have gutted our precious franchise modes. A lot of you either make excuses or desparately try to find work-arounds though instead of putting your foot diwn and saying....enough!

Teams like SDS and OOTP are companies, they exist to make money...I think you forget that sometimes. I see people in the OOTP forums blindly hoping Perfect team will merely mean better developing and more resources, when The Show fans would tell you that's a load of crap. If people want to continue blowing 100s into digital cards that grossly depreciate over a year...then the sad truth is those game modes will be the future, and franchise modes will eventually disappear.

I for one do not want to continue supporting this type of behavior, $60 should be plenty to expect a proper, functioning baseball game. I wish instead of defending this new behavior of loyal consumers getting the shaft, that we in the gaming community actually draw a line in the sand, and not let companies run roughshot on us. I'm disgusted that I paid my $60 for the show, I was lied to that there would be franchise mode. What I got was a broken mess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: The sorry state of sports gaming

Not sure why you’re surprised. All sports games have been trending toward catering to online modes for years now. But being lied to about having franchise mode? Um, not sure about that. We all knew it would be there, just essentially unchanged, as per usual.

I’ve said for many years that until they can figure out how to monetize franchise mode it will continue to get less and less attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
But being lied to about having franchise mode? Um, not sure about that. We all knew it would be there, just essentially unchanged, as per usual.

Agree 100%.

I held off buying for a month or so because of the feedback here.

The google machine provides a ton of reviews for this game, as does this forum. I'm not sure how someone could go into this "surprised" as to the result.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Pro

JHodges57's Arena

This is why I'm slowly but surely getting away from sporting games. In fact, I am spending about 95% of my time with RDR2. I paid a set price for RDR2 and can play it for what seems like forever without spending one more cent.

As far as sports games, I'd rather pay $100 or $150 up front for the game and have a player that's good enough to compete so I can earn upgrades through playing rather than having to pay to get my player up to a level higher than a high school player so I can compete (NBA2k). With 1 year cycles in sports games, you have no choice but to pay up if you plan on playing a season before the next version comes out.

I feel this is the last The Show I buy since I really haven't been playing it much at all. Maybe 1 game every week or 2. I am a franchise player (MoM). I do have a text based game I prefer (not OOTP) which I play when I'm in a baseball mood.

Last edited by JHodges57; 05-13-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Rookie

shawn306's Arena

I am going to sit and wait and see what Madden 20 looks like and if they really overhaul franchise mode. Maybe if SDS sees that maybe it gets them to overhaul their Franchise mode
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
Rookie

FSanchez12's Arena

OVR: 2

While I don't think it's too much to ask for minor QOL improvements to Franchise mode, I also am realistic in my expectations for this mode. Microtransactions rule the sports gaming world, and will continue to rule this landscape until they run their course, or legislation is passed that bans it/makes it more difficult for a 13 year old to run up their dad's Credit Card on stubs. You'd be surprised how much adding just a few more steps to completing a microtransaction would turn off buyers.

Personally, I moved to upgrading titles every other year. It makes the smallest YoY improvements seem that much more magnified. I'm happy with Franchise mode and the improvements made on The Show 19. I wish there were more QOL improvements to the mode like I mentioned, but I'm still pleased with the final project.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Rookie

Iron's Arena

OVR: 2

I do not entirely agree when it comes to OOTP. The size of that company is in no way comparable to SDS. The staff at OOTPd are true baseball fans and they have definitely improved the product year after year. I think the whole game benefits from PT, unlike bigger titles like The Show. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how I see it.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Kind of a catch 22 here. If I do buy the Show, SDS may think "hey, we're doing a great job", but if I don't buy the Show SDS will think "hey, less people are playing franchise, let's pay even less attention to it".

There really is no action I can take as a consumer that leads to a win in this situation. It's kind of a big reason why I support microtransactions coming to franchise. I've even suggested a few ideas on how to hook the whales without ruining the experience for players that don't want to pay extra.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »