Home

AI Bullpen Management Logic

This is a discussion on AI Bullpen Management Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
AI Bullpen Management Logic

I have not played much franchise in a few years but always played it a lot in the past and this still seems to be an ongoing problem in The Show's Franchise mode.

The way the AI handles the bullpen seems very vanilla and honestly just not very smart. They don't ever want to use their best guys in high leverage situations and will seem to only use their relievers in their current roles. I know there is a slider for Manager tendency to pull relievers, but this does not seem to fix the issue. I am in the playoffs and get a decent lead in the 4th/5th and the AI just keeps letting the long relievers/worst relievers take a beating, even in back to back games, instead of going to their better relievers.

This is also a problem if you sim games. Make sure to put your best guys in the higher MRP spots because if you put them at closer they will only be used in save situations.

With the way the game is evolving, I think this needs to be changed. It makes the game a bit easy on franchise mode, gives you flawed simulation stats, and offers no manager variety in how they handle their bullpen. This brings me to my next point....manager variety and profiles.

It'd be cool to see SDS consider this. We have traditional managers in the game and more analytical ones like Maddon and Francona. It'd be cool to see this implemented somehow. Not only would this affect bullpen management, but it would affect lineup management and shifting. This would just add some diversity in the game.

Also if any of you guys are into franchise mode, I highly recommend to manage your games rather than Sim. If you sim they will ruin your lineups and manage the game poorly like the points I brought up before.

Just a few thoughts...I know franchise mode needs some work but this seems like it'd be an easy fix to add to the mode that could go along way.

Youtube
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: AI Bullpen Management Logic

Fixes:

No RP labeled as "CP".
Worst MRP and 6th SP @ LRP.
Best 3-MRP and LHP-SPC in MRP Slots.
NO SU Men.
Best MRP @ Closer (labeled as "RP".)

Fast-forward every game you do not want to play to 4th, 6th, 8th, and Quick Manage every Inning, Starting in 9th Inning.

Oh, and swap out 2-LRP's during season so no RP goes over 100 + IP. Lowest LRP w/ Stamina @ 20 - Highest @ 50.

Last edited by Pedro32; 07-17-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro32
Fixes:

No RP labeled as "CP".
Worst MRP and 6th SP @ LRP.
Best 3-MRP and LHP-SPC in MRP Slots.
NO SU Men.
Best MRP @ Closer (labeled as "RP".)

Fast-forward every game you do not want to play to 4th, 6th, 8th, and Quick Manage every Inning, Starting in 9th Inning.

Oh, and swap out 2-LRP's during season so no RP goes over 100 + IP. Lowest LRP w/ Stamina @ 20 - Highest @ 50.
Thanks, yes those all should help my team as far as sims go, but I also meant my the AI opponent in game.

I should also say I am not doing 30 team control. I just want to see different managers have different play styles and different ways they manage their teams.

Youtube

Last edited by cardinalbird5; 07-17-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I think the problem with the CPU leaving LR in the game too long is two fold:

1) They will not sub in a position player to pitch in a blowout

2) They will not call up a reliever or two to help give the bullpen/pitching staff a rest

If those two things were in the game it would greatly help the situation.

As it stands now, I'll sub a pitcher for them myself. I hate doing it, but its the best "band-aid" fix that I can think of right now.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 07-17-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: posting and meds do not mix
Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I think the problem with the CPU leaving LR in the game too long is two fold:

1) They will not sub in a position player to pitch in a blowout

2) They will not call up a reliever or two to help give the bullpen/pitching staff a rest

If those two things were in the game it would greatly help the situation.

As it stands now, I'll sub a pitcher for them myself. I hate doing it, but its the best "band-aid" fix that I can think of right now.
I sub in pitchers vs myself in games. Hate seeing RP go 3 innings. I was hesitant at first but it's the only way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Also, far too often, they miss important lefty/righty matchups and leave a guy in to get hammered when they have a better option already warm in the pen.

It’s definitely one of the weakest spots of The Show and has been for a long time. Even MLB 2K often did a better job of this, sadly, and they haven’t made a game in years.

Last edited by jeffy777; 07-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Also, far too often, they miss important lefty/righty matchups and leave a guy in to get hammered when they have a better option already warm in the pen.

It’s definitely one if the weakest spots of The Show and has been for a long time. Even MLB 2K often did a better job of this, sadly, and they haven’t made a game in years.
The lineup construction is pretty bad too. I see alot of teams just stack 5 righties/lefties back to back, making it very easy to pitch to with my bullpen.

Youtube
Old 07-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #8
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

This and urgency issues are the worst parts of this game. It boggles my mind the bullpen logic with the AI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »