Home

Curveball vs change up

This is a discussion on Curveball vs change up within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Pro

shark547's Arena

OVR: 0
Curveball vs change up

Am I the only one that thinks that something is off about the speed of pitches for Change ups vs curveballs? I have to wait all day to hit a change up...yet I am always late on curveballs. They can be the exact same speed at 78 mph.

I didn't have this problem until last year and I am not convinced that something is up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Curveball vs change up

I personally crush change ups though curveballs can give me gits sometimes. I don't find there is anything fishy about the speeds at all

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
MVP

underdog13's Arena

I've had this issue for years. For me it's I spend more time tracking the ball path on a curve so when I finally have my pci ready to swing I'm usually a bit late.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
I've had this issue for years. For me it's I spend more time tracking the ball path on a curve so when I finally have my pci ready to swing I'm usually a bit late.
I have similar issues with the OP, and I think this is a major reason for myself at least.

Changeup looks like a fastball initially so you tend to commit with the timing similar to fastball, but with curveball looking as if it floats a bit initially and appear to go above the strike zone, my initial reaction tends to be in the "layoff" mode, only to realize the pitch coming down, and when I end up committing, I often tend to be late on it especially the curveballs that land high within the strike zone.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

My Achilles heel is the mid to high 90 fastball up and in. Even if it's clearly a ball, I press hit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

For me, I've found it depends on who's throwing. Some pitchers changeup I can get the rythm pretty easily. Other pitchers, not so much. Same for curves. Used to be that the 12-6 was my biggest enemy but last couple years its been more sweepers though. If there were more pitchers with a screwball in their arsenal I'd say the screwgie. Thanfully you don't really see it.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Nope, nothing is off, that is what the pitches are designed to do, just like nomo17k said. It's all perception. Changeup makes your mind think Fastball and then when it doesn't happen it seems very slow, and Curveball makes you think high Fastball and by the time you figure it out, decide whether it's going to be in the zone, and then actually find the spot in the zone it's going to hit based on the big vertical movement, you're late.

So a Changeup makes you make your decision too early, and a Curveball makes you make it too late. Which is exactly why pitchers throw them.

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing."

-Warren Spahn

- Rick Wise
Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
Pro

shark547's Arena

I get the idea behind it. I am questioning whether the timing is accurate. If anything you would have slightly more time to swing on a curve because it is taking a longer path to the plate. I am seeing the opposite. Before last year I crushed curveballs. I think something changed. I am routinely behind them as if they are a fastball. That is strange.

I think we would need a way to time it showing it is the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »