Home

Starter pitched 130+ pitches - bad thing?

This is a discussion on Starter pitched 130+ pitches - bad thing? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3
Starter pitched 130+ pitches - bad thing?

Does pitching a starter 130+ pitches because of a shut out hurt you long term? Extra days rest or anything?

And for that matter - if I warm up a guy for 2 innings and never get him in the game . . . what does that do down the road in the next game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Starter pitched 130+ pitches - bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
Does pitching a starter 130+ pitches because of a shut out hurt you long term? Extra days rest or anything?

And for that matter - if I warm up a guy for 2 innings and never get him in the game . . . what does that do down the road in the next game.
Are you using quick counts?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

No - full game MoM. I was winning 6-0 so no reason to leave him in except a shut-up but geez, he was still clicking off outs! Why take him out unless . . . . .

Of course. 9th, 2 outs 2 strikes HR :-(
Old 05-10-2016, 04:07 AM   #4
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

If you leave him in that long with that many pitched you increase the chance of him getting injured.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 05-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

After the game is over, it doesn't really matter. Once the pitcher reaches zero stamina, he cannot go any lower, and his recovery time will be the same whether he threw 90 pitches or 130. In older versions of the game, I would often see a starter go into his next start with 90-95% stamina instead of 100% if I really worked him like that, so it was a consideration to think about, but in more recent versions it seems like if they get four days rest, they're good.

On a related note, I've noticed in this year's game that once a starter gets into the 8th and 9th innings, no matter how good his stamina rating is and no matter how few pitches he may have thrown, he's likely to get tired at the end. That may be 120 pitches one start, but only 80 the next. I think that its part of the games code attempting to make sure that pitchers don't throw an unrealistic number of innings and relievers get into the game.

I had a game where Jake Arrieta got to the 9th by throwing fewer than 70 pitches, but his energy was somehow depleated from about 2/3 to almost gone between the 7th and 9th innings. That was the most extreme example, but I've seen it enough to think its something they've stuck in there. In older versions if I were in a similar situation, I've on occasion had a starter go into extra innings if his count was low, and the CPU would do the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
If you leave him in that long with that many pitched you increase the chance of him getting injured.
This!

I overthrew Michael Wacha in a game earlier this year and injured his elbow.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

Quote:
After the game is over, it doesn't really matter. Once the pitcher reaches zero stamina, he cannot go any lower, and his recovery time will be the same whether he threw 90 pitches or 130.
That is what I was lookign for.

And since no one ever seems to get injured . . . . . . I think my slider is at 7 now.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
That is what I was lookign for.

And since no one ever seems to get injured . . . . . . I think my slider is at 7 now.
I actually took my injury slider down a notch after losing one starting pitcher for 6+ months and another for 3. Also lost a reserve infielder for 2-3 months, and several pitchers had to leave starts but were thankfully ok in 1-6 days.

And thats not even counting all of the injuries that happen while simming the games for the rest of the league and the minors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »