Home

Potential Coaching Staff System

This is a discussion on Potential Coaching Staff System within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Potential Coaching Staff System

First off I just want to clarify that I'm not writing this as a "Hey SCEA" thread because I know those are banned. I'm more looking to see what other players think of the system and if they have any suggestions themselves. I've always had an abnormal obsession with coaching staff changes in real life and have been hoping for the last couple years that The Show would revamp the way their coaches work to include minor league coaches and full major league staffs, so I was thinking about how that would work and I think I came up with a pretty good idea.

To begin I would add the bench, bullpen, and "seventh" coach that teams employ. Right now each of the coaches has an effect on four attributes in their subsection of the game ranging from +3 to -3. I would like to see a system where each coach has an effect on every attribute of their area of specialization even if it is a zero. Also with adding the "new" coaches, essentially every area has an "understudy" coach of sorts:

Manger - Bench Coach (All attributes)
Pitching Coach - Bullpen Coach (Con, Velo, Mov, Stam, Cltch, H, K, HR, BB)
Hitting Coach - Asst. Hitting Coach (Con, Pow, Bunt, Cltch, Vis, and Disc)
3B Coach - 1B Coach (BR, Arm, Def, Range, and Dur)

With this set-up, I'd like to see the Manager, pitching, hitting, and 3B coaches have a range of +2 to -2 for each of their attributes and the Bench coach, bullpen coach, asst. hitting coach, and 1B coach a range of +1 to -1. So those coaches would have 1/2 the effect as the "main" coaches. This would also make promoting coaches more realistic. I'd also like to see the rating change dynamically, kind of like potential. So if a team has a great couple years (like say how STL has been under Matheny) he would get a decent bump and be considered more of a top-notch manager. Same thing would happen if a team pitched well or hit well for a while.

In the minors I think it would be cool to utilize the coordinator positions. Have a field, hitting, pitching, infield, outfield, and catching coordinator that is hired. Each of these coordinators would have a similar effect (+2 to -2) as the MLB staff, but this would only affect the minor league players. This would also give us an option to "promote from within" during the season if we fire a coach.

Just curious what you guys think and if you have any thoughts yourself?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Potential Coaching Staff System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty23

A well thought out proposal for sure, but I have trouble with coaches having an effect on player attributes...or at least a substantial one...in the first place. I just think that's a bit artificial and I don't like how hiring a new manager/coach has nothing to do with strategy/fit and is only about mindlessly finding the ones with the most green and least red. And if you have 6 or 7 coaches, all those +2's and +1's can really add up to inflate things.

That said, I'm not really sure of a better way to preference "better" managers and disadvantage poor managers. I guess I'm mostly ok with coaches being more cosmetic (just having them in there and the ability to edit them, but them not having a direct effect on attributes).

One way to handle more subtle effects is to institute a morale system like there has been in NBA2K for some time where players have "roles" and their attitudes are based on that (see Amaro's recent comments on Chase Utley for how to sour a relationship). Maybe having a good manager could make certain players accept roles they normally wouldn't so the effect would be a bit more indirect. Maybe they could add a team chemistry element also like in NBA2K that the manager/staff has some effect on. Having good team 'chemistry' could lead to a miniscule boost in the timing window for hitting or in controlling pitches. Maybe errors could be reduced by a subtle rate. The key to this is subtle and nothing cheesy or too noticeable

Another alternative is your manager can affect how easy/difficult it is to sign a FA (or the amount they sign for...slightly)...again like in NBA2K (seeing a pattern here? )...or how many XP points you get per game. The choice of manager could also have a more indirect influence by influencing the length/depth of hot/cold streaks.

Moreover, an idea that would go great with a "boom or bust progression system" --if one were to be added, that is-- is your coaching staff could have a specific effect on guys blossoming vs busting out. So you'd have teams like the Cardinals who turn every prospect to gold (and you'd have, say, a 25% greater shot that one random prospect will absolutely break out) and teams like Seattle that can't do anything with developing position players (and you'd have, say, a 25% greater shot that one of your stud prospects is actually a dud).

I think the best system would be so imperceptible to almost not be noticed and maybe there would be no effect at all most of the time. Even the best managers are just a smidge over .500 usually.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 07-09-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Interesting thread. There could definitely be improvements but this is also raising the question of how much coaches really effect a game and we don't know for certain how the current system works (do all coaches affect all players?). I could definitely see moments where pitches are being tipped or catching something in a pitcher to get a great jump on a steal attempt (not varying checking runner on second/heel comes up different as examples). There are periods where chemistry seems to be plausible like the last Red Sox World Series team (were they just a collection of patient hitters or influenced each other that way?). I could see piling up a bunch of +2 vision/discipline coaches and emulating that to a degree currently.

I guess I'm saying that the current system gives the coaches all their own strengths and weaknesses but you could hire them all over the place - you could hire Matheny as a hitting coach for instance.

Then there are the other arguments that WTNY brought up - a Manager may only really win/lose 2 more games than with a different Manager, but there are relationships in free agency like Lester's previous relationship with Cubbie brass and Maddon being there to have fun/be creative that had an influence...how do you program this stuff into a game?
Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I would like to see some changes to the coaching system, but there are inherent problems with changing it. It's tough to balance the immersion factor of diving into the coaching system while still making it fun and accessible to most players. Then there is also the issue of year to year saves: if you drastically alter the coaching system, how does that effect a save that is being carried over from last year? If I'm mid-season when I carry over, will I suddenly have to hire a bunch of new coaches, or will my current ones work entirely differently?

I personally would love to have coaches that develop and can be "farmed" the same way a player can. I would also love it if key alumni from my team could be hired "into the system" in order to start their coaching development. It would be really cool to see some sort of chemistry between coaches and players, especially if it was based on real life personality assessments (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue). I just see a lot of issues with upgrading all of that. I can also see how that could alienate players who aren't as into the minutia of this game as I am.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Rookie

In my MLB 2K8 game players will want to play with coaches that fit their style and take slight discounts to play with coaches they like. I think it would be cool if this is implemented in the Show, where coaches influence player morale and where free agents want to sign and if players want to resign with the team. Just my thoughts though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty23
First off I just want to clarify that I'm not writing this as a "Hey SCEA" thread because I know those are banned. I'm more looking to see what other players think of the system and if they have any suggestions themselves. I've always had an abnormal obsession with coaching staff changes in real life and have been hoping for the last couple years that The Show would revamp the way their coaches work to include minor league coaches and full major league staffs, so I was thinking about how that would work and I think I came up with a pretty good idea.

To begin I would add the bench, bullpen, and "seventh" coach that teams employ. Right now each of the coaches has an effect on four attributes in their subsection of the game ranging from +3 to -3. I would like to see a system where each coach has an effect on every attribute of their area of specialization even if it is a zero. Also with adding the "new" coaches, essentially every area has an "understudy" coach of sorts:

Manger - Bench Coach (All attributes)
Pitching Coach - Bullpen Coach (Con, Velo, Mov, Stam, Cltch, H, K, HR, BB)
Hitting Coach - Asst. Hitting Coach (Con, Pow, Bunt, Cltch, Vis, and Disc)
3B Coach - 1B Coach (BR, Arm, Def, Range, and Dur)

With this set-up, I'd like to see the Manager, pitching, hitting, and 3B coaches have a range of +2 to -2 for each of their attributes and the Bench coach, bullpen coach, asst. hitting coach, and 1B coach a range of +1 to -1. So those coaches would have 1/2 the effect as the "main" coaches. This would also make promoting coaches more realistic. I'd also like to see the rating change dynamically, kind of like potential. So if a team has a great couple years (like say how STL has been under Matheny) he would get a decent bump and be considered more of a top-notch manager. Same thing would happen if a team pitched well or hit well for a while.

In the minors I think it would be cool to utilize the coordinator positions. Have a field, hitting, pitching, infield, outfield, and catching coordinator that is hired. Each of these coordinators would have a similar effect (+2 to -2) as the MLB staff, but this would only affect the minor league players. This would also give us an option to "promote from within" during the season if we fire a coach.

I don't think they need more coaches. I've also thought about the coaches and managers having dynamic ratings but it would have to be very, very, very slow otherwise the coaching staff would overwhelm the attributes of the players and dominate the game.

Given what has happened with changes to progression and 30 team control ruining carry over saves, I prefer for them to just leave it the way it is because it could be poorly implemented and make the game worse.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Rookie

I would like to see them add retired players to the coaching pool.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncryer3921
I would like to see them add retired players to the coaching pool.
Licensing prevents that from happening. Play a game in Busch Stadium and look at the pictures on the wall. IRL they are retired players. In the game they are current Cardinals. SCEA doesn't have rights to the retired players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »