Home

RTTS newbie question - assign points Contact vs Power

This is a discussion on RTTS newbie question - assign points Contact vs Power within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-24-2014, 04:02 AM   #1
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
RTTS newbie question - assign points Contact vs Power

I started my RTTS...pretty much messed up my first one. Anyhow, i have my player (right at bat) with

Contact R/L - 45
Power R/L - 40

Which do you up first, power or contact? Why? Which side R/L? Thanks for your recommendations
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: RTTS newbie question - assign points Contact vs Power

Right, now I always boost plate vision as much as I can, because you'll make contact with the ball more, whether it's fouled out, a fair ball or an out. Then, I went for more contact, but seeing by your spread, I'd improve them both
Old 05-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
MVP

canucksss's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCeeTee
Right, now I always boost plate vision as much as I can, because you'll make contact with the ball more, whether it's fouled out, a fair ball or an out. Then, I went for more contact, but seeing by your spread, I'd improve them both
Prioritizing plate vision makes sense instead of just focusing on Contact and Power. Thanks for this info
Old 05-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

There's no real right or wrong on whether to focus on power or contact. It all depends on what type of player you want to be.

If you want to be a power hitter, focus on power. If you want to be an on-base guy, focus on contact. Maybe add in some speed as well if you want to steal a little.

As far as Left/Right, I would focus on stats vs. RHP. You face a lot more right handed pitchers than you do left handed. For the sake of realism, most players are obviously better at hitting against opposite handed pitching, but there are always exceptions.

My RTTS guy is a power hitting SS, but I'm a switch hitter. So I have fairly equal contact ratings for both L/R, sitting at 44/47 respectively. But my power ratings are at 60/52 right now.

So, for me, I have better contact against righties, and better power against lefties.

But in the end, it's your road to The Show. Make your player be what you want to be.

Also, don't forget to put some points into defense as well. Durability is also key if you don't want to get benched a lot for being tired.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

Handelness of your player might matter. I have a lefty and against RHP my power at the moment is 53 but against LHP it's only 31. It works for me. Contact is 64-51. Over 80 plate vision so far, 82 I think.

I think first you have to think what type of player you want to be..

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
MVP

canucksss's Arena

Icon14 Re: RTTS newbie question - assign points Contact vs Power

Since I dont know much about baseball (hockey here ), I guess i need to know what player I should want for my RTTS. I guess, I would like to be a power hitter and a good defense (playing 2B). Yea my run is 25 (yikes!) and stealing is i think same rating (double yikes). But I know its hard to steal bases in real MLB.

This is actually very fun game to play, even a non-avid fan of the sports can play this game and really have a blast! Thank you guys for your insights...very much appreciated
Old 05-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

I don't mess with plate vision until I hit the pros. The pitcher's are mediocre in AA and AAA and my PCI was already big enough. I never really struck out anyways and that is all plate vision does. I got my power up to 60+ then focused on contact where it is in the 50's now. I also put up speed and throw power. I play SS but I am not worried about fielding or throw accuracy since I use manual catch and throw meter where I decide how good my fielding is more than the attributes.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I don't mess with plate vision until I hit the pros. The pitcher's are mediocre in AA and AAA and my PCI was already big enough. I never really struck out anyways and that is all plate vision does. I got my power up to 60+ then focused on contact where it is in the 50's now. I also put up speed and throw power. I play SS but I am not worried about fielding or throw accuracy since I use manual catch and throw meter where I decide how good my fielding is more than the attributes.
Yeah, a lot of times PV is only worth investing in early if you sim a lot of games. Your player will have better simmed results with a higher PV.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »