Home

Potential ratings question

This is a discussion on Potential ratings question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-20-2024, 12:05 PM   #1
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8
Potential ratings question

Do potential ratings progress/regress more or less depending on what level a player's at?
Ex. More at Majors/AAA, Less at AA/A

I have a C potential pitcher who's been great for a year and 1/2, would it be worth bringing him to AAA to progress faster? Or keep him in AA so he can dominate?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2024, 06:40 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Potential ratings question

In that situation, I would move him to AAA to see if his success continues.

As for progress/regress depending on the level, there, in my experience, is no cut and dry answer. In other words there is no exact formula to ensuring that a player will progress nor is there one that will automatically cause a player to regress.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-21-2024, 11:21 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 0

There is no definitive answer but it seems the better numbers they have combined with potential determines whether their attributes increase or decline.

I don't use A because I consider that cheating since players at that level never get injured due to the fact they don't play games.

I tend to leave my best prospects at AA where they can produce good numbers.
Regarding the actual potential rating it can increase but does so infrequently.

Some things about progress - speed never increases. It only remains the same or decreases at a rate of -1 per year. Pitcher stamina rarely increase and if it does increase it's +1 per season. Sometimes it is unchanged. Most of the time it declines -1 per season. When scouting prospects for the draft ignore the potential screen that shows speed and/or pitcher stamina increasing. I cracked the code to determine exact ratings for fully scouted prospects and posted it on this forum. If interested I can post it in this thread.
Old 06-21-2024, 04:57 PM   #4
Just started!

If you could post your info about the exact ratings for fully scouted prospects that would be great!
Old 06-21-2024, 07:52 PM   #5
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaldron
If you could post your info about the exact ratings for fully scouted prospects that would be great!
First hire good scouts.

1. On the first Sunday scouting is available before you scout anybody save that franchise file and don't save over it until after the draft.

2. Add the unscouted low and high potential rating numbers. Call that the unscouted sum. Then divide by two. Let's call the sum the unscouted dividend.

3. After the player is 100% scouted add the low and high potential numbers. Call that the fully scouted sum. Note: You do NOT divide that number by 2.

4. Find the difference between unscouted sum and fully scouted sum. Then add or subtract that number from the unscouted dividend.

Example. Unscouted potential for a player is 60 - 90. 69 +90 = 150. 150/2 = 75.

Fully scouted potential for same player is 65 - 95. 65 + 95 = 160. 160 is 10 higher than 150. Add 10 to unscouted dividend. 70+ 10 = 85. His potential is 85. Now do that same thing for every attribute the player has in the present column and overall. Ignore completely the future numbers. For overall each attribute in the present column add and divide by 2 the unscouted low and high. Then add or subtract the the fully scouted sum you come up with, in this case +10.

If the same player's fully scouted potential dropped to 50 - 80 that would be - 20. Subtract 20 from 75 and he is 55 potential. His overall and unscouted dividend for each present attribute will drop by -20.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to help. It's not very complicated once you figure it out.

Last edited by tessl; 06-21-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2024, 04:39 PM   #6
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

In older versions of The Show, with the old franchise engine, I was pretty certain that high potential prospects who performed well at AAA typically gained more progression than those who performed well at AA. There's always some randomness, but in the big picture, this was generally true, and then the big question for me was whether a prospect would develop more with GREAT numbers at AA vs GOOD numbers at AAA. I would sometimes have top tier guys tear up AAA and gain 15 OVR in one year.

Now, however, that doesn't seem to be the case, and I really don't think that it matters whether a guy is dominating at AAA or AA, he'll typically get the same progression either way, and its generally at a lower "cap" than it used to be. I just had a 21 year old, 95 potential guy hit .300 with 40 HR at AA and he only gained 5 OVR to move from the low 70s to the high 70s.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:09 AM   #7
MVP

Houston's Arena

Treat it like real life if there having a Breakout year look at promoting up a class. Also there age is a factor as well. If he starts to fall or u have a struggling guy don't be afraid to move him around in the rotation see if his numbers get better or worse etc...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »