Home

Why do my relievers come into the game missing 20% of their energy and confidence?

This is a discussion on Why do my relievers come into the game missing 20% of their energy and confidence? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-06-2023, 11:26 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon5 Why do my relievers come into the game missing 20% of their energy and confidence?

I've been playing The Show for 15 years now and I still don't seem to understand what the "correct" way to warm up and bring in a reliever in is. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it happens often enough that I can't seem to figure out why it does. What I do when I want to bring in a reliever is I first do Stretch & Toss, then when they hit 50% ready on the meter I start them throwing, and then if I'm still batting I set them to Schedule To Put In Game for the next inning I pitch.

All while doing this they show 100% energy on the warm-up menu, but when they do actually come into the game it's an absolute crap shoot whether they enter the game at 100%$ energy and normal confidence or they enter the game with 20% of their overall energy missing and their confidence tanked down to about 25-30% of the meter (basically a single walk away from losing accurate control at that point).

I've tried setting pitchers to Ready & Waiting, no difference. I've brought them in at 50% ready from Stretch & Toss with zero penalty to energy or confidence. I've seen this happen on Opening Day when a reliever shouldn't conceivable be tired from pitching a prior day. I've given relievers extra days rest, no difference, still a crap shoot whether they come in less-than-normal or not. I've tried doing mound visits before bringing in the reliever, no difference, still a crap shoot whether they come in messed up or not.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end now since for over a decade I've never figured out what about my play style causes this bizarre behavior with relievers. So, why are my relievers being penalized like this? Is there a Franchise option that controls this (am I supposed to turn off Warm Up Pitchers in my Franchise options to get around this)? Is this just a weird intended behavior with relievers in The Show where it's always a gamble no matter what situation and when you bring in a reliever that this is supposed to simulate that they "just don't have it that day"? Is this just a bug with the Bullpen Quick Menu that's been in the game over the past decade and the workaround is to never, ever use the Bullpen Quick Menu?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2023, 12:24 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Why do my relievers come into the game missing 20% of their energy and confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLooseCannon
I've been playing The Show for 15 years now and I still don't seem to understand what the "correct" way to warm up and bring in a reliever in is. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it happens often enough that I can't seem to figure out why it does. What I do when I want to bring in a reliever is I first do Stretch & Toss, then when they hit 50% ready on the meter I start them throwing, and then if I'm still batting I set them to Schedule To Put In Game for the next inning I pitch.

All while doing this they show 100% energy on the warm-up menu, but when they do actually come into the game it's an absolute crap shoot whether they enter the game at 100%$ energy and normal confidence or they enter the game with 20% of their overall energy missing and their confidence tanked down to about 25-30% of the meter (basically a single walk away from losing accurate control at that point).

I've tried setting pitchers to Ready & Waiting, no difference. I've brought them in at 50% ready from Stretch & Toss with zero penalty to energy or confidence. I've seen this happen on Opening Day when a reliever shouldn't conceivable be tired from pitching a prior day. I've given relievers extra days rest, no difference, still a crap shoot whether they come in less-than-normal or not. I've tried doing mound visits before bringing in the reliever, no difference, still a crap shoot whether they come in messed up or not.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end now since for over a decade I've never figured out what about my play style causes this bizarre behavior with relievers. So, why are my relievers being penalized like this? Is there a Franchise option that controls this (am I supposed to turn off Warm Up Pitchers in my Franchise options to get around this)? Is this just a weird intended behavior with relievers in The Show where it's always a gamble no matter what situation and when you bring in a reliever that this is supposed to simulate that they "just don't have it that day"? Is this just a bug with the Bullpen Quick Menu that's been in the game over the past decade and the workaround is to never, ever use the Bullpen Quick Menu?
You're probably going to hate hearing this, but that's exactly what it is. What you're seeing is basically the "cold" penalty being applied to the pitcher entering the game when it shouldn't be. From my experience the quick menu can be hit or miss with that bug, and the schedule to pitch option nearly always triggers it. The only way I've seen to ensure that it doesn't happen (going back many years in this series) is to always change pitchers from the regular bullpen screen.

There's no doubt in my mind that it's a bug and not by design because of A) the two ways it is triggered (as well as the one where it is not) and B) the fact that it often results in an instant yellow bar (and the penalties associated with that) for relievers with full energy in shortened 3-inning games, such as those in Diamond Dynasty. There's no way that's the intended behavior.

Last edited by bcruise; 07-07-2023 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:16 AM   #3
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why do my relievers come into the game missing 20% of their energy and confidence

There is a way to not trigger the energy and confidence issues using the quick menu. You have to do it this specific way or it won't work:

Note that warm up pitcher must be on.

1. Set your pitcher you want to come in to stretch and toss. They will have to stretch and toss for a few batters or over the half inning break. Their warm up status will be no more than 50 percent no matter how long it takes.

2. When you want them to come it. Set the bullpen pitcher to warm up.

3. Immediately, and I do mean immediately, do a mound visit. Don't pitch a single pitch or anything with the current pitcher.

4. Change your pitcher to the one in the bullpen during the mound visit.

5. They will come in at 75 percent warmed up, 100 percent energy (or no change if they weren't 100 percent prior to the game) and the same confidence they had.

6. Complete your 8 warm up pitches.

Your reliever will come into the game at the same energy they had without losing any.

You could have them stretch and toss for 3 innings then bring them in like the above and there is no energy loss.

You can argue it is not pure sim but it eliminates this bug. This trick has worked since MLB 20 when the bug became present.

Currently Playing:

EA College Football 25 (PS5)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 07-07-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:28 AM   #4
MVP

DallasRocks's Arena

OVR: 12

I just turn warm up relievers off and don’t have any issues
Old 07-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #5
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't mind it because it adds a bit more challenge and drama, but I have noticed if you don't use the quick menu, you should be good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
*p*r*t**n Sp*rts J*nk**

snaz16's Arena

OVR: 5

This was posted before that if you "schedule the reliever to come in,in the next inning it triggers that. I have not been using that and did not seem to have any issues,but there have been a few instances where the endurance bar turns yellow when the bar is actually a little below half way. I guess I need to keep an eye on this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »