Home

Pitchers speed & break

This is a discussion on Pitchers speed & break within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-24-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Pitchers speed & break

Can you finally train your pitchers velocity & break? Or at least if the attributes increase or decrease over time. Past few years these attributes have been stagnant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
All Star

JayD's Arena

Re: Pitchers speed & break

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
Can you finally train your pitchers velocity & break? Or at least if the attributes increase or decrease over time. Past few years these attributes have been stagnant
Well, seeing a lot of videos where yet again pitchers never improve thier velocity or break. Their attributes Remain stagnant for their entire career. What's the point of having the Future ratings in scouting if they never improve? Your young studs will always have 50 velocity w/ 50 break, for example.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:34 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is a legitimately broken feature of franchise, because there is supposed to be a training exercise that boosts these specific attributes. Pitchers should not have the same velocity, break, and control from 18-40, it's insane. Attribute boosts from coaches have zero effect on these categories either.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
All Star

JayD's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGIY94
This is a legitimately broken feature of franchise, because there is supposed to be a training exercise that boosts these specific attributes. Pitchers should not have the same velocity, break, and control from 18-40, it's insane. Attribute boosts from coaches have zero effect on these categories either.
I swear I remember a game where we did see velocity and break improve. It would be awesome to see it digress as they age.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I swear I remember a game where we did see velocity and break improve. It would be awesome to see it digress as they age.
You are correct...you were able to build up a pitchers stamina too, and part of the fun with development was the give and take between progressing stamina versus rate stats and pitch attributes. Anything related to progression/regression was absolutely trashed by the devs right around the PS4 era and the entire mode is significantly worse than it was a decade ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2023, 05:50 PM   #6
MVP

It’s hard to speak on this with generalizations, but with velocity & break specifically I’m not sure what kind of dynamics you’re actually looking for. Most guys who throw gas can already throw gas in high school. You don’t see guys go from a 92mph fastball to a 101 mph fastball from “development.” A similar case can be made for break, where guys don’t just develop sick break out of nowhere, they already have it, and it’s likely why they’re a pro prospect to begin with.

What pitchers actually (try to) develop as they mature is command & consistency. The raw tools should already be there when you draft him. So like a guy with 50 velo & 50 break or whatever is just junk to begin with.

The bigger issue imo is that there’s no mechanic for developing individual pitches, where a guy’s offspeed pitches all suck when he’s young for example, but develop into his best pitches as he ages. That’s what’s missing here imo, not to mention developing new pitches.

Last edited by Detroit Tigers; 03-28-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
It’s hard to speak on this with generalizations, but with velocity & break specifically I’m not sure what kind of dynamics you’re actually looking for. Most guys who throw gas can already throw gas in high school. You don’t see guys go from a 92mph fastball to a 101 mph fastball from “development.” A similar case can be made for break, where guys don’t just develop sick break out of nowhere, they already have it, and it’s likely why they’re a pro prospect to begin with.

What pitchers actually (try to) develop as they mature is command & consistency. The raw tools should already be there when you draft him. So like a guy with 50 velo & 50 break or whatever is just junk to begin with.

The bigger issue imo is that there’s no mechanic for developing individual pitches, where a guy’s offspeed pitches all suck when he’s young for example, but develop into his best pitches as he ages. That’s what’s missing here imo, not to mention developing new pitches.
Of course guys develop velo in the minors! I've seen it happen to countless Yankees prospects both out of high school and college. It's actually unusual for young players to NOT throw harder and increase their spin rates after they're drafted these days. Hell, most front offices prefer guys with the physical projection to add velocity into their 20s over kids who throw incredibly hard at a young age.

The other issue is that in MLB The Show, pitchers inexplicably maintain their peak velocity and break for their entire careers, which is physically impossible for anyone except Nolan Ryan.

Last edited by KGIY94; 03-28-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:50 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGIY94
Of course guys develop velo in the minors! I've seen it happen to countless Yankees prospects both out of high school and college. It's actually unusual for young players to NOT throw harder and increase their spin rates after they're drafted these days. Hell, most front offices prefer guys with the physical projection to add velocity into their 20s over kids who throw incredibly hard at a young age.

The other issue is that in MLB The Show, pitchers inexplicably maintain their peak velocity and break for their entire careers, which is physically impossible for anyone except Nolan Ryan.
Yeah but by how much? From 93.2 to 95.3? That’s more what I mean by a guy with a 50 velo rating as a prospect has no business developing into some fireballer or something, so I was asking what kind of dynamics you guys were actually looking for. A guy’s got a nasty arm or he doesn’t 9 times out of 10. Guys that have to potential to throw gas should already have a high(ish) velo rating to begin with.

And to your second point, agreed, that velo never drops is absurd.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »