Home

The real problem with CPU GMs regarding trading

This is a discussion on The real problem with CPU GMs regarding trading within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
The real problem with CPU GMs regarding trading

Real life GMs make stupid trades, SDS was right about that. The real issue in the game is the CPU acquiring 3 all-star SS and then at least 1 of them rotting on the bench for extended periods of time. Weird trades wouldn't bother me a fraction of what they do if the CPU did a good enough job utilizing the talent they have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #2
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The real problem with CPU GMs regarding trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
Real life GMs make stupid trades, SDS was right about that. The real issue in the game is the CPU acquiring 3 all-star SS and then at least 1 of them rotting on the bench for extended periods of time. Weird trades wouldn't bother me a fraction of what they do if the CPU did a good enough job utilizing the talent they have.
This is why I do 30 team control. I only put trades on manual. So everything else is run as if I was not using 30 team control but then if a bad trade is made I can reverse it
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-10-2023, 12:03 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
This is where the CPU needs to do a better job of utilizing players at secondary positions and where the ability to learn a new position would be beneficial.

As a guy who only does single team control, I often assist the CPU by changing guys primary positions to be a secondary position they play. If you mess around with it, you'll find there are times where the player has a higher overall once their primary position is changed to a secondary position.

Ex: Last year in regards to Tatis and what the Padres did in my franchise when they acquired Matt Chapman only to put him on the bench because he was blocked at first by Anthony Rizzo and third by Manny Machado. I made Tatis' primary position be RF and he went from 96 OVR to 99 OVR, and then I moved Machado to SS where he maintained his current overall.

With my Cardinals I changed Jordan Walker in year 2027 from 3B (81 OVR) to LF where he's now an 82 OVR.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-10-2023, 01:06 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

EDIT: oops, meant to quote cb's above post.

regarding how the cpu generally manages things, I know they arent any where near as perfect as I pretend to be.
compared to cpu GM's, I'm the best wheeling dealing GM since Trader Jack.
I just tell myself, "you do you" and let the other gms mismanage themselves right out of a pennant. at the end if the season, there can be only one man left standing, but its funny, it seems like I'm rarely the champion I should be. if my general managing is so much better than the cpu, why is it one cpu gm or another is usually hoisting that commissioners trophy and not me? though they may not run their ballclub like I do, there IS a method to their madness.

what I wish is there were 29 separate and different styles the other gm's gm'd their team, and you could give one of those styles to each and every other gm

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 03-10-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:21 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield

In year 2 of my franchise, I traded for Bryan Reynolds and edited his primary to LF - his OVR shot-up. Not wanting to fleece the AI, I re-loaded my save, and edited his position to LF before the trade...and it did not change the size of the trade acceptance bar (or the offer I needed). I tried this over the course of my franchise several other times, and never personally encountered a scenario where the core trade value of a player changed following an edit of his primary position.

So, I think the CPU (under the hood) uses a more direct manner of evaluating the value of a player and not just the displayed OVR.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2023, 01:49 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I believe '22 may have changed this from past versions...but in '22...if you manually edit a player's primary position and his OVR goes up, it does not fundamentally change his trade value.

In year 2 of my franchise, I traded for Bryan Reynolds and edited his primary to LF - his OVR shot-up. Not wanting to fleece the AI, I re-loaded my save, and edited his position to LF before the trade...and it did not change the size of the trade acceptance bar (or the offer I needed). I tried this over the course of my franchise several other times, and never personally encountered a scenario where the core trade value of a player changed following an edit of his primary position.

So, I think the CPU (under the hood) uses a more direct manner of evaluating the value of a player and not just the displayed OVR.
I didnt mean to imply it increased trade value but rereading what I posted it does occur to me thats the way it read.
mostly what I was trying to get at is, LF is the one place I know I can move somebody from another position to, and they not hurt me by being there. therefor, I refuse to draft leftfielders. they're a nickle a dozen

A Work in Progress
Old 03-10-2023, 01:57 PM   #7
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield

regarding how the cpu generally manages things, I know they arent any where near as perfect as I pretend to be.
compared to cpu GM's, I'm the best wheeling dealing GM since Trader Jack.
I just tell myself, "you do you" and let the other gms mismanage themselves right out of a pennant. at the end if the season, there can be only one man left standing, but its funny, it seems like I'm rarely the champion I should be. if my general managing is so much better than the cpu, why is it one cpu gm or another is usually hoisting that commissioners trophy and not me? though they may not run their ballclub like I do, there IS a method to their madness.

what I wish is there were 29 separate and different styles the other gm's gm'd their team, and you could give one of those styles to each and every other gm
I feel like that is why it is so important they allow 30 team control. So we as realistic players can make sure all moves fit a teams style. We can make sure Oakland is not spending money they would never spend. Make sure when one of their good players hit FA they are just about walking.
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-10-2023, 02:18 PM   #8
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne
I feel like that is why it is so important they allow 30 team control. So we as realistic players can make sure all moves fit a teams style. We can make sure Oakland is not spending money they would never spend. Make sure when one of their good players hit FA they are just about walking.
I tend to use 30 team control in a different way. If I see a perfectly decent RF sitting in the FA pool, and say Oakland doesnt have any good RFs, I make Oakland sign that guy. I like to try to make the bad teams better so the competition is tougher all the way around the league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »