Home

How to increase Seasonal Batting Averages? BB?

This is a discussion on How to increase Seasonal Batting Averages? BB? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to increase Seasonal Batting Averages? BB?

I am noticing through simming seasons that most of the batting average champs are in the .308 to .318 range with about 4-8 guys per league hitting at .300 or over.

Is there a way to increase these? Ideally I'd like to see the batting average leader in each league closer to .340+.

Hits are also low, lucky to see a 200 hit guy every other season.

Do sliders affect the simulations much? If so, what sliders would you think would affect this?

Batter Walks would be another category that seem rather low, with the league winner usually around 85-90 (Votto, Fielder, Choo).

Strikeouts are probably a bit high with as many as 20 pitchers per league getting 200+ Ks and often 6-8 over 250.

Do you find changing ratings across the board or would sliders work just as well?

(wish MLB had a position sorter where you could edit players - be easier to say, Verlander has best curveball and then adjust each pitcher accordingly type of scenario)

Would appreciate any observations and changes you have made in your own seasons that seem to affect these numbers in the desired direction. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: How to increase Seasonal Batting Averages? BB?

One more thing...

On the pitching strikeouts. Both in simulation and in games. How do you get lots of K's (higher K rate) with relievers (e.g. Jansen, Kimbrel, Chapman, Holland, etc)?

I find it hard to get or see a few RP guys barely over 9-10K per 9 IP. While not uncommon to see starters can be at that 230 IP and 275k threshold (9-10K per 9 IP)....might see as many as 8-10 starting pitchers with a K rate over over 1 per IP.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

To my knowledge sliders have no impact on sim stats, they are purely for gameplay.

Individual player ratings are what affects the sim stats. The ratings that would adjust batting average and walks when simming in franchise would be contact left and right (for average) and discipline for walks, probably coupled with how dangerous the hitter is overall, because even if a .220 hitter had a high discipline rating, pitchers wouldn't be as afraid to walk him.

As for the amount of strikeouts, that would be determined by the K/9 rating. Players like Kimbrel, Jansen, Darvish etc. should all have K/9 ratings of 90 plus. I feel like a pitcher who has a 9K per 9 innings should probably have a rating between 75-80, and then you have the guys like Fernandez, Darvish and Strasburg who should be pushing 85-90 in K/9.

Sliders have nothing to do with sim stats.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Rookie

aldogabd's Arena

OVR: 3

i agree with the OP, these issues really bother me as well. i have a hard time getting kimbrel to strike out 1 per inning in my franchise, playing games or simming, yet hes near 2/ip in real life.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Rookie

Threeebs's Arena

OVR: 8

I'd say that .340 is a much harder number to reach, and see now a days but you're right BA is low but apparently it's more to due with a BABIP problem within the game.

As for the K/9 rates, they're actually showing below league average. The reason you're seeing a number of players with very high K totals is because pitchers are pitching into games far to deep compared to league average as well. More innings= more strike outs.

It seems more likely that pitcher's K/9 algorithm is rated lower, most likely due to the fact that they changed the range for the algorithms in this year's game. This is why you're seeing Kimbrel with a lower K/9 rate possibly as well...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldogabd
i agree with the OP, these issues really bother me as well. i have a hard time getting kimbrel to strike out 1 per inning in my franchise, playing games or simming, yet hes near 2/ip in real life.
Yeah this has always bugged me, I cant come close to resembling what Chapman does with K's. Last year I tried all kinds of things editing to get it right. Funny thing is I have other pitchers that arent near as good at K's yet I do begtter with them.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 05-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Rookie

Aldo... and Case...

you guys hit the nail on the head - actually was trying to get a dominant closer in my leagues, starting with Kimbrel and Chapman. Then I tried Jansen. No luck.

I'm finding I'm having more success with random relievers as well, but having to go 2-3 innings to try to get the 3-5 strikeouts for better K/9 rates.

I tried boosting ratings to where those guys are just tough to hit - and when I play the CPU...that's just it. I strike out for 2 of the 3 outs every time.

But I can't get the CPU to strikeout like that...and sims obviously those guys are lucky to get 55 K's in 55 IP in a season.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
Banned

to increase individual batting avg. -- lower cpu pitcher stamina to 3/3 and sim games from the home screen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »