Home

Scouting Strategy?

This is a discussion on Scouting Strategy? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Scouting Strategy?

What's your scouting strategy? In my first season I had my scouts "discover" players for almost a month, which didn't leave enough time to fully scout enough players for the draft. Just wondering what the "right" mix of discovery to actual souting might be.

I'm using the A's so my first pick was late in the first round and all of the pre-scouted blue chippers were gone by the time I picked. I was able to snag a SP with 89 potential with a MLB ETA of 2017 (strange thing was his Velocity had an actual rating of 97, while his Velocity potentail rating was 86)

Then in the 2nd round I drafted a RF with 90 potential and an ETA of 2019

All of the rounds after the 2nd I was drafting blind because none of the players left had been fully scouted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb4056
What's your scouting strategy? In my first season I had my scouts "discover" players for almost a month, which didn't leave enough time to fully scout enough players for the draft. Just wondering what the "right" mix of discovery to actual souting might be.

I'm using the A's so my first pick was late in the first round and all of the pre-scouted blue chippers were gone by the time I picked. I was able to snag a SP with 89 potential with a MLB ETA of 2017 (strange thing was his Velocity had an actual rating of 97, while his Velocity potentail rating was 86)

Then in the 2nd round I drafted a RF with 90 potential and an ETA of 2019

All of the rounds after the 2nd I was drafting blind because none of the players left had been fully scouted.

I leave all 4 scouts in discoverey for the first month. after that i will have 1 scout discoverin pitchers, 1 scout discovering outfielders, 1 discovering infielder, and the last one will be scouting specific players. I check every day and if the potential drops below 85 i move on to the next person to get the maximum scouting time. after about 2 weeks of this i will have 1 discover pitchers, and one discovering position players for about a week or two, then i just have one socut discovering what ever potsition i feel needs it and 3 scouts scouting.

NOTE: there are no prescouted bluechip players the secodn year. so scouting becomes very important. i found this out the hard way.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEXBOXONE
I leave all 4 scouts in discoverey for the first month. after that i will have 1 scout discoverin pitchers, 1 scout discovering outfielders, 1 discovering infielder, and the last one will be scouting specific players. I check every day and if the potential drops below 85 i move on to the next person to get the maximum scouting time. after about 2 weeks of this i will have 1 discover pitchers, and one discovering position players for about a week or two, then i just have one socut discovering what ever potsition i feel needs it and 3 scouts scouting.

NOTE: there are no prescouted bluechip players the secodn year. so scouting becomes very important. i found this out the hard way.
In '13 though, potential could go back up. So Just because it dips below 85 doesnt necessarily mean their final scouted potential wont be above it.

I dont have 14, but I imagine its similar?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
In '13 though, potential could go back up. So Just because it dips below 85 doesnt necessarily mean their final scouted potential wont be above it.

I dont have 14, but I imagine its similar?
the scouting isnt any different. the gameplay seems far and a way better. i liked last years game, but in my opinion, this years is my favorite yet.

Also, i usually use this scouting technique until every person with a A potential has been scouted, then i move to B potential.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

I hire two scouts that specialize in pitchers and two that do position players. Then I discover players for the first month. The rest of the time I scout individual players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
All Star

In mlbts13 since scouting stopped after the June draft I fired all my scouts to save money.

Anybody else do that?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb4056
I was able to snag a SP with 89 potential with a MLB ETA of 2017 (strange thing was his Velocity had an actual rating of 97, while his Velocity potentail rating was 86)
Can't say for sure but this sounds like it's by design. A lot of players throw faster/harder when they are very young, and slow down as they age. For example, Tim Lincecum threw in the high 90s in college, then came slowly down in velocity over the years, and now sits around 90 with his fastball. Seems like the game may replicate this, which if so, is awesome.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

What percentage of the scouting bar do you guys usually scout to? Like 2/3, 3/4, or all the way? I'm trying something new this year to see if I can scout more guys and am going two days per round of 4 players (1 per scout), which gets me somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the bar full.

Thoughts on that?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »