Home

New to MLB:TS. Any tips or advice for a newbie?

This is a discussion on New to MLB:TS. Any tips or advice for a newbie? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Rookie

Romain El 82's Arena

OVR: 2
New to MLB:TS. Any tips or advice for a newbie?

Hey all,

I've played the MLB2K series on XBox the past few years (mainly because the commentary is miles ahead of anything I've ever seen in any sports game and I really enjoyed having to use the analog sticks for pitching and hitting) but this year I went ahead and got The Show. As such I'm used to controls and gameplay for the 2K series.

I did the drills a bunch the other day, but mostly my timing on hitting (I use the analog sticks for both hitting and pitching), accuracy of pitches and baserunning in general are things I need to work on. I don't play online so you won't have to worry about running into me there. Until the OS rosters are done I'll just be doing play now games, then delving into franchise mode.

Any suggestions? Advice? Tips? The game looks beautiful and the hit variety and sound is amazing.

I just wish I could import the pitching mechanic from 2K into the Show, along with the commentary. Matt Vaskershian (I know I spelled that wrong) just makes it seem like I'm playing Paint Simulator 2014...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: New to MLB:TS. Any tips or advice for a newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romain El 82
Hey all,

I've played the MLB2K series on XBox the past few years (mainly because the commentary is miles ahead of anything I've ever seen in any sports game and I really enjoyed having to use the analog sticks for pitching and hitting) but this year I went ahead and got The Show. As such I'm used to controls and gameplay for the 2K series.

I did the drills a bunch the other day, but mostly my timing on hitting (I use the analog sticks for both hitting and pitching), accuracy of pitches and baserunning in general are things I need to work on. I don't play online so you won't have to worry about running into me there. Until the OS rosters are done I'll just be doing play now games, then delving into franchise mode.

Any suggestions? Advice? Tips? The game looks beautiful and the hit variety and sound is amazing.

I just wish I could import the pitching mechanic from 2K into the Show, along with the commentary. Matt Vaskershian (I know I spelled that wrong) just makes it seem like I'm playing Paint Simulator 2014...
First of all choose the Dynamic difficulty.
Here are my settings:
Pitching - Meter with human pitch control/consistency up 2 values (Meter mechanic fan since MVP2005)
Batting - Timing, Guess Pitch off
Fielding - Auto (Let the cpu do the job)
Throwing - Buttons (Simple, let the ratings take control)
Baserunning - Auto

Imo these settings are newbie friendly. Alongside Dynamic difficulty I think you'll have fun games without any frustration. Combine it with QC and you're good to go!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

Main thing is to just be patient IMO. It's a pretty tough game to get the hang of and you will have some very frustrating games. Just stick with it and you'll get used to it. It's not the best sports game for nothin'.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Pro

SickDL's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
First of all choose the Dynamic difficulty.
Here are my settings:
Pitching - Meter with human pitch control/consistency up 2 values (Meter mechanic fan since MVP2005)
Batting - Timing, Guess Pitch off
Fielding - Auto (Let the cpu do the job)
Throwing - Buttons (Simple, let the ratings take control)
Baserunning - Auto

Imo these settings are newbie friendly. Alongside Dynamic difficulty I think you'll have fun games without any frustration. Combine it with QC and you're good to go!
Can I ask why you say gues pitch off?. Does it have a negative effect when you gues it wrong or dont gues all the time.

Just started playing tge show. And basicly have the setting like in your post.only have fues pitch on classic if im right.
Would hitting be easier if I would turn gues pitch off
Old 04-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

Guess pitch does punish you for guessing incorrectly. It's seen as a crutch by a lot of people. When turned off you actually learn to recognize pitches and when to swing at good ones instead of relying on guess pitch to tell you you should swing because you guessed right.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
Guess pitch does punish you for guessing incorrectly.
Wow. I kinda feel like a dummy. I've been playing The Show every year since PS2 and I never realized that guessing wrong punished you. Welp, time to turn that feature off.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Pro

SickDL's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
Guess pitch does punish you for guessing incorrectly. It's seen as a crutch by a lot of people. When turned off you actually learn to recognize pitches and when to swing at good ones instead of relying on guess pitch to tell you you should swing because you guessed right.
I see what you mean. Youre better off learning to recognize pitches.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

Check your ego at the door and don't be too headstrong to start on the lowest settings. I see a ton of people start out at all-star because they think they're too good for the lower levels.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »