Home

Sabermetrics in The Show

This is a discussion on Sabermetrics in The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Banned

nowitsourtime's Arena

OVR: 6
Sabermetrics in The Show

Anyone try to use the Sabermetrics in The Show? I'd think it's be a cool idea to run my franchise (located in my sig. Shameless advertisment) using a Billy Beane/Theo Epstein method but a lot of the stats in The Show aren't easily sortable like in NBA 2k or aren't widely used. I'd like to find a way to incorporate WAR into The Show (unfortunately, not all the components to calculate WAR are there)

Is there anyone who uses the info given in the show or is it just more stats to you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Sabermetrics in The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsourtime
Anyone try to use the Sabermetrics in The Show? I'd think it's be a cool idea to run my franchise (located in my sig. Shameless advertisment) using a Billy Beane/Theo Epstein method but a lot of the stats in The Show aren't easily sortable like in NBA 2k or aren't widely used. I'd like to find a way to incorporate WAR into The Show (unfortunately, not all the components to calculate WAR are there)

Is there anyone who uses the info given in the show or is it just more stats to you?
I've started to use some of the advanced stats but none as the only stat I look at. The best ones to look at IMO are

Iso Pwr - kind of a better representation of a players power
Bat Runs - Paints a better picture of their run contribution including things like SB, RBI, runs scored etc. (helped me make the decision to trade my starting 3B for another)
T Avg (true avg)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Rookie

I have been begging for WAR in The Show for years. The game does have a lot of the most important hitting sabermetric numbers, but they are not tracking year to year which makes truly running a Billy Bean system impossible unless you track them manually. This is something that can be fixed with the PS4 if they decide to put the development time into it. I would love to see a real WAR in the game but the baserunning and especially fielding numbers might be tough, let's hope!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
Rookie

I just finished Moneyball myself and I tried experimenting with it on Franchise. I tried taking more walks and looking for my pitch. Plate vision is very important. I also dont sacrifice bunt that often even with the pitcher. I can see how it's effective, my only problem is I hit into a lot of double plays. But taking walks and waiting for that good pitch is really important.

I think it's worth stealing in this game as it's pretty easy with a fast runner. But when you sim, you don't get the same results.

Also, relief pitchers are unreliable as Moneyball says, at least in my experience, though I find trading in this game to be frustrating. Sinker ball pitchers do have location problems, like Moneyball says. Though my only sample size are the Dodger pitchers including Kyle Lohse.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #5

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by railsldr
I've started to use some of the advanced stats but none as the only stat I look at. The best ones to look at IMO are

Iso Pwr - kind of a better representation of a players power
Bat Runs - Paints a better picture of their run contribution including things like SB, RBI, runs scored etc. (helped me make the decision to trade my starting 3B for another)
T Avg (true avg)
Don't use ISO (unless there are no other options in The Show. I don't know what categories they have.) It is a flawed stat that is based off of another flawed stat (SLG) and there are much better categories to use in real life.

Again, if the show doesn't offer much I apologize - I haven't played the game since a week or two before it released.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Banned

nowitsourtime's Arena

OVR: 6

Looking back through some of the advanced stats for The Show, there isn't a lot of stats for pitcher although I do like that they have BABIP (BIPA in the show) and DIPS (Not quite FIP but I'll definitely take it).

I might manually record some stats for my own team and upcoming free agents in my franchise. Once again, I wish there was a table to sort through the advanced stats like there is in NBA 2K (albeit, it is only for that season).

As for the stolen base attempts during sims, that is probably an easy fix by lowering BR aggresiveness for every player across the entire team
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Rookie

I wish they'd offer more sabermetric stats in the game. I'd love to see fip, xfip, war, and I'd definitely like to see the babip (bipa) stat for batters also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »