Home

Question for anyone or the CD guys about the Simulation Engine

This is a discussion on Question for anyone or the CD guys about the Simulation Engine within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Banned

vcu9's Arena

OVR: 19
Question for anyone or the CD guys about the Simulation Engine

I have a question:

If I sim all the games for a day from the season schedule screen, and then the next day I manually begin every game and use the new fast-forward option to simulate to the end of each game; am I using the same simulation engine for the stats I get as when I simulated all games from the season schedule screen?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Just started!

tyloraw's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Question for anyone or the CD guys about the Simulation Engine

Sorry, don't have an answer to your question but I'm also curious about that. And is it also the same sim'ing as just letting the game play? (Sometimes I just watch the game and flip between it and TV, especially when baseball season is over.) Not sure why it wouldn't be, but for some reason it always seems like when I watch the game, about 80% of the time it's a pitchers duel but if I just sim, there is a much larger margin of runs. Thanks guys.

Also.. My first post.. Sweet.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcu9
I have a question:

If I sim all the games for a day from the season schedule screen, and then the next day I manually begin every game and use the new fast-forward option to simulate to the end of each game; am I using the same simulation engine for the stats I get as when I simulated all games from the season schedule screen?

Thanks.
Great question
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

It's my understanding that the Fast-Forward option and the Sim option both use the same coding engine to interpret the ratings and produce game results and stats.

In otherwords, I do not believe that there are three seperate engines involved here.

One for gameplay, and the other for simming. Fast-Forwarding would just be an extension of the sim engine.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that this is how it works. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
I have a question:

Thanks.
Simmed games and fast-forwarded portions of the game is done by the same engine. (You can easily see this by looking at K/9... you'll see similar low K/9 for both ways of simming.)

Just answered here because I rarely use PM and some info were better discussed publicly (so that we can share).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyloraw
Sorry, don't have an answer to your question but I'm also curious about that. And is it also the same sim'ing as just letting the game play? (Sometimes I just watch the game and flip between it and TV, especially when baseball season is over.) Not sure why it wouldn't be, but for some reason it always seems like when I watch the game, about 80% of the time it's a pitchers duel but if I just sim, there is a much larger margin of runs. Thanks guys.

Also.. My first post.. Sweet.

There are two baseball game engines in this game... when you play HUM vs. CPU or CPU vs. CPU and let things play out, the game is on a very elaborate gameplay engine that simulates whole a lot of things (ball physics, AI pitcher/batter strategy, stadium shapes, player shapes... everything as you come to know about The Show).

When you "sim" or fast-forward portions of the game, however, the game uses a different simulator engine which I believe is mostly dice-roll based. This needs to be done to speed up things... since playing a single 9-inning CPU vs. CPU game still takes about 10 minutes even if everything is run at the fastest possible speed (displaying graphics at a realistic pace takes a lot of time... .... but the computer can actually run the game much faster if it doesn't have to display stuff and wait for human input).

You can easily imagine that you are not going to go deep into your franchise if each game takes 10 minutes to simuate. (that's like about 3-hours to simulate a day worth of games between 30 MLB teams... and that doesn't even include minor league levels). So the game uses a much stripped down version of game engine when human is not involved.

Last edited by nomo17k; 03-16-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Banned

vcu9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
It's my understanding that the Fast-Forward option and the Sim option both use the same coding engine to interpret the ratings and produce game results and stats.

In otherwords, I do not believe that there are three seperate engines involved here.

One for gameplay, and the other for simming. Fast-Forwarding would just be an extension of the sim engine.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that this is how it works. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Simmed games and fast-forwarded portions of the game is done by the same engine. (You can easily see this by looking at K/9... you'll see similar low K/9 for both ways of simming.)

Just answered here because I rarely use PM and some info were better discussed publicly (so that we can share).

There are two baseball game engines in this game... when you play HUM vs. CPU or CPU vs. CPU and let things play out, the game is on a very elaborate gameplay engine that simulates whole a lot of things (ball physics, AI pitcher/batter strategy, stadium shapes, player shapes... everything as you come to know about The Show).

When you "sim" or fast-forward portions of the game, however, the game uses a different simulator engine which I believe is mostly dice-roll based. This needs to be done to speed up things... since playing a single 9-inning CPU vs. CPU game still takes about 10 minutes even if everything is run at the fastest possible speed (displaying graphics at a realistic pace takes a lot of time... .... but the computer can actually run the game much faster if it doesn't have to display stuff and wait for human input).

You can easily imagine that you are not going to go deep into your franchise if each game takes 10 minutes to simuate. (that's like about 3-hours to simulate a day worth of games between 30 MLB teams... and that doesn't even include minor league levels). So the game uses a much stripped down version of game engine when human is not involved.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR HELP!!

I thank all of you CD guys and I never meant to doubt your efforts or honesty in an old post. I just was upset that MLB 13 had so many bugs. Best game ever and only game I play!!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR HELP!!

I thank all of you CD guys and I never meant to doubt your efforts or honesty in an old post. I just was upset that MLB 13 had so many bugs. Best game ever and only game I play!!
I sort of figured that was the case, Vcu9.

No problem man.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Banned

vcu9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I sort of figured that was the case, Vcu9.

No problem man.

Thanks bro

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »