Home

Aroldis Chapman SP or RP???

This is a discussion on Aroldis Chapman SP or RP??? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Aroldis Chapman SP or RP???

I couldnt figure out where to put this, so if someone else knows feel free to move it.

With all the talk of Chapman now officially being moved to a Starting Pitcher, how will he be rated in this game? Obviously as a stud reliever he would be rated pretty high overall. Will the devs just keep him as a RP or create some "probable" ratings for him as a SP?

I dont know the ratings but say he is a 97 ovr as a reliever, will he still be a 97 ovr SP or maybe start him out around the 85 ovr range???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Aroldis Chapman SP or RP???

I'd bet if he is a RP in the launch game, whatever roster update they catch the SP change in will have him switched. But I have no idea what ratings they would give. It would probably take a while to get a good sense of him since as a SP since his stuff would probably take a hit from it, plus who knows what his actual stamina will be mid season.

He is complicated and I'll probably manually edit him in my franchise as the season goes on.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Hopefully something will happen and the Reds (more specifically Walt Jockety, since every other member of the organization who has spoken on the matter thinks he should remain a closer) won't be stupid and actually try to turn one of the best closers in the game into a starter, making this a moot point. I could see them doing that if they were in rebuilding mode, but they have a legitimate shot at winning the World Series. It just doesn't make sense.

It makes even less sense to offer Scott Rolen a contract, but it appears as if they're going to do that as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Rookie

BrandH's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusruss
Hopefully something will happen and the Reds (more specifically Walt Jockety, since every other member of the organization who has spoken on the matter thinks he should remain a closer) won't be stupid and actually try to turn one of the best closers in the game into a starter, making this a moot point. I could see them doing that if they were in rebuilding mode, but they have a legitimate shot at winning the World Series. It just doesn't make sense.

It makes even less sense to offer Scott Rolen a contract, but it appears as if they're going to do that as well.
True #1 pitchers like Kershaw, Verlander, etc are way more valuable than the best closer. There were 11 closers last year that had 90% + save percentage with at least 20 opportunities and another 11 or 12 @ 85%+. If they think Chapman is going to be as good as Kershaw or Verlander then they should absolutely make him a SP. Fernando Rodney was the best closer last year so that should tell you how much of a crapshoot it can be with closers
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandH
True #1 pitchers like Kershaw, Verlander, etc are way more valuable than the best closer. There were 11 closers last year that had 90% + save percentage with at least 20 opportunities and another 11 or 12 @ 85%+. If they think Chapman is going to be as good as Kershaw or Verlander then they should absolutely make him a SP. Fernando Rodney was the best closer last year so that should tell you how much of a crapshoot it can be with closers
Chapman got arm fatigue as a relief pitcher and had to be shut down for awhile. He's not cut out to be a starter unless he slows it down to 95MPH, which makes him way less effective since the fastball is pretty much his only pitch. Also, the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to this situation. It's not like the Reds are rebuilding and short on starting pitching. Every Reds player that has been asked has said Chapman needs to stay as the closer, that switching him is just too risky. I value their opinion, since they play the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Rookie

dutch4404's Arena

OVR: 1

They got Daniel bard in as a starter last year. Now they will have to move him back to rp. Just hope chapman doesn't implode like bard did
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

I remember when Cincy tried to make Danny Graves(who was one of the better closers in the game at the time.) a starter. And absolutely ruined his career all together. I really hope they don't do that with Chapman. He could be a star closer for years to come. The Yankees have also destroyed Joba IMO. He could have been the closer in waiting when MO retired, but Hank Steinbrenner had to have him as a starter.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Chapman got arm fatigue as a relief pitcher and had to be shut down for awhile. He's not cut out to be a starter unless he slows it down to 95MPH, which makes him way less effective since the fastball is pretty much his only pitch. Also, the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to this situation. It's not like the Reds are rebuilding and short on starting pitching. Every Reds player that has been asked has said Chapman needs to stay as the closer, that switching him is just too risky. I value their opinion, since they play the game.
Look at David Price though, started as a reliever, now a Cy Young pitcher.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »