Home

Any tips from sim and watch Franchise players?

This is a discussion on Any tips from sim and watch Franchise players? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

Kalkano's Arena

OVR: 2
Any tips from sim and watch Franchise players?

I've done lots of sim and watch Franchise play in football and hockey games. But, for some reason, I just can't get into the same modes in baseball games. I don't think I've ever made it more than 3-4 seasons, whereas I usually get 20+ seasons out of football and hockey.

I think part of it is that baseball games take quite a bit longer to watch. I use to keep hitting X between pitches, to speed it up, but now I'm afraid I'll miss some of the cool new presentations. I love the presentation, but it almost makes it take as long as a real game...

Another part of it, is that we have 3 teams in baseball (AA, AAA, and MLB), and I do feel the need to closely follow all of my teams and players. This is a double-edged sword, since I would actually prefer to also have single-A teams, but it just makes it take longer to do it all.

Then, there's the time it takes to set all of your rosters/lineups/rotations every year. This got MUCH better last year, as I felt a little more comfortable letting the CPU handle that (with the improved lineup logic). It may not always be what I want, but it feels close enough to justify the drastic reduction in setup time.

I think another part is that there is no salary cap. I understand that MLB won't allow the option, because they don't want people to start clamoring for it more in real life, but I just hate playing without a level field. I don't want to see the same teams in the playoffs, every year. I don't want to see the highest paid players always going to the same few teams.

Yet another thing that adds to the time it takes, is setting up Sounds of the Show. Again, this is a double-edged sword. I absolutely love the feature, but it takes a huge amount of time to set up, and then add songs every time you get a new player (at any level).

Part of it may also be that I just don't feel as engaged in the basic functionality of franchise mode. Maybe this year's changes will freshen things up a bit. I know scouting and drafting have been worked on quite a bit. Hopefully trading and free agency have at least seen some touch-ups.

So, what I want to know is, from people who play similarly, what do you do to minimize setup time, and maximize enjoyment of this mode in The Show?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Any tips from sim and watch Franchise players?

I can't really help you but I have a question. Do you ever play the game? o.O
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Rookie

Kalkano's Arena

Yes. Sometimes I play Road to the Show, and sometimes I play franchise as the whole team.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

I know it is one of those, to each his own, type things. But I just can't wrap my finger around dropping 60 bucks on a baseball game, and never playing the games. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Pro

slickkill77's Arena

OVR: 7

The people that do this are probably the same type of people that enjoy playing stat based baseball games. They probably enjoy RPG's too. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own taste

Last edited by slickkill77; 01-22-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

some folks just enjoy to coach, GM, CPU VS CPU, or whatever you call it. I've done this since the days of the ps1, even though I enjoy "playing" the games as well every once in a while. I'm an old Strat-o-matic guy, literally from back in the day (I graduated high school in 82, do the math). It's really cool to see if the game itself can simulate real life, not what I've seen with friends of mine when they have guys leading the league in homers with 85 homers, and the 2nd place guy has 81. that's not realistic. but again, to each his own. I prefer to sit back and enjoy the moves i made in the pre season, or pre game, etc. BTW, I HOPE the show doesn't screw this up and not allow CPU VS CPU this year...
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11

I think the posts in this thread illustrate why MOM keeps getting ignored, people look down on people that use this mode and we are still in the extreme minority. I enjoy the mode because ratings take over the game instead of my ability as a gamer. I also enjoying watching the game from a TV broadcast perspective. Basically some people enjoy games as a player and some enjoy it more as a coach/GM. I tend to lean towards the latter. Remember the game NFL Head Coach? I was excited for that game because I enjoy that aspect of it but the game never took off like I had hoped. So I like to take games such as MLB the Show and use coach and MOM. It's more fun than most people realize. I think most people have the idea that it's boring but it's not, I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next and if the moves I make will pan out. I get a great thrill from putting one of my bench players in and watching him go 3-4 with a homerun.

As far as what I do to speed up the process? I really don't worry about it. I simulate some but for the most part I'll play things out. I don't play minor league games or spring training, those are simulated and I make my personal decisions based on statistical analysis. One good thing about MOM mode is you can leave the game running and do something else if you want. You don't have to focus on each and every pitch. I usually will do this until I get later in the game and have to start managing more.

But overall I think a mistake people make is worrying about playing a lot of games and getting through multiple seasons instead of enjoying the process.

Last edited by Braves Fan; 01-23-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
I think the posts in this thread illustrate why MOM keeps getting ignored, people look down on people that use this mode and we are still in the extreme minority. I enjoy the mode because ratings take over the game instead of my ability as a gamer. I also enjoying watching the game from a TV broadcast perspective. Basically some people enjoy games as a player and some enjoy it more as a coach/GM. I tend to lean towards the latter. Remember the game NFL Head Coach? I was excited for that game because I enjoy that aspect of it but the game never took off like I had hoped. So I like to take games such as MLB the Show and use coach and MOM. It's more fun than most people realize. I think most people have the idea that it's boring but it's not, I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next and if the moves I make will pan out. I get a great thrill from putting one of my bench players in and watching him go 3-4 with a homerun.

As far as what I do to speed up the process? I really don't worry about it. I simulate some but for the most part I'll play things out. I don't play minor league games or spring training, those are simulated and I make my personal decisions based on statistical analysis. One good thing about MOM mode is you can leave the game running and do something else if you want. You don't have to focus on each and every pitch. I usually will do this until I get later in the game and have to start managing more.

But overall I think a mistake people make is worrying about playing a lot of games and getting through multiple seasons instead of enjoying the process.
Yes NFL head coach was such a huge disappointment for us "coaches". as far as the show, I actually start games, leave the room and come back to see what's going on. i don't sit there pitch for pitch every game, but I do enjoy being able to try and get video games to play as close to real life as possible, knowing that I had a big part in the "nuts and bolts" of those results. it also gives you the opportunity to "fantasize" about what could be...I actually create other players to carry on the legacy of their dads. i.e. I created a Frank Thomas offspring, who was also HUGE, but I had him playing first base for the Cubs. hopefully, the create a player mode will be better this year, I'm thinking of creating a Sammy Sosa Jr, without the steroids!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »