Home

I hope better scouting research has been done for pitchers this year

This is a discussion on I hope better scouting research has been done for pitchers this year within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
MVP

DodgerFanatic2K3's Arena

OVR: 10
I hope better scouting research has been done for pitchers this year

Question?

What gives a pitcher his individual identity besides his looks?

Answer...His signature pitch arsenal.... and when it's wrong it ruins his identity

I hope someone was hired or assigned this year just to research and make sure that pitchers will have there correct arsenal out of the box because this has been a glaring issue for years

Last edited by DodgerFanatic2K3; 12-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: I hope better scouting research has been done for pitchers this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFanatic2K3
Question?

What gives a pitcher his individual identity besides his looks?

Answer...His signature pitch arsenal.... and when it's wrong it ruins his identity

I hope someone was hired or assigned this year just to research and make sure that pitchers will have there correct arsenal out of the box because this a been a glaring issue for years
Don't count on it, I'm just glad we are able to do the edits ourselves.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
MVP

DodgerFanatic2K3's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Don't count on it, I'm just glad we are able to do the edits ourselves.
Ya but with there slogan "SO REAL IT'S UNREAL" we shouldn't have to fix something like that to make it "REAL"
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

This has been a long standing question for... oh... ever.

I can go to Baseball Reference and see the 4 pitch arsenal that a certain pitcher has, based on his scouting report, and know what speed he generally throws it at, and what his main "goto" out pitch is with very little research effort on my part.

And then, I can see that that pitcher in the game, has two pitches he does not even have in his repertoire...

I am not sure why this is always such an issue.

Josh Beckett does not have a 93 mph Splitter. He wishes he did, but he does not. Why he gets one in the game every year is a mystery to me.

~syf
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

This issue has been beaten to death, but the criticism is definitely justified.

I love The Show, but it baffles me that SCEA allows this aspect of the game to fall so incredibly short every year. It would be one thing if the information was somehow difficult to come by, but it's not... This information is as readily available as any other traditional stat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I think there has been some attention to this paid at the minors level for generated players. Few generated players have crazy assortments of pitches.

And there might be a chance that SCEA paid more attention to this pitch repertoire issue given that one of the major game review outlet (ESPN?) did criticize MLB 12 for not getting them right for even more prominent players.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think there has been some attention to this paid at the minors level for generated players. Few generated players have crazy assortments of pitches.

And there might be a chance that SCEA paid more attention to this pitch repertoire issue given that one of the major game review outlet (ESPN?) did criticize MLB 12 for not getting them right for even more prominent players.
Well they did take suggestions and incorporate them into later roster updates, but like those two were saying, why is this even necessary? The game should ship with as accurate as possible rosters and it doesn't. When I did pitch edits this year there wasn't a single pitcher that I didn't have to make changes to, with most needing multiple edits.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend SCEA copying/pasting straight from pitch f/x since the algorithm has its quirks, and I doubt they would assign a valuable team member to dedicate ~1-2 months to compile and input the data (although it would probably take less since the devs are using computers to edit rosters), so why not outsource it (for free I might add) and add it to later roster updates?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Well they did take suggestions and incorporate them into later roster updates, but like those two were saying, why is this even necessary? The game should ship with as accurate as possible rosters and it doesn't. When I did pitch edits this year there wasn't a single pitcher that I didn't have to make changes to, with most needing multiple edits.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend SCEA copying/pasting straight from pitch f/x since the algorithm has its quirks, and I doubt they would assign a valuable team member to dedicate ~1-2 months to compile and input the data (although it would probably take less since the devs are using computers to edit rosters), so why not outsource it (for free I might add) and add it to later roster updates?
Ramone@SCEA has indicated that they use the Baseball Info Solutions data at least in the past, but I don't know if BIS collect pitch f/x type of data... And even though the data are available publicly, the terms and conditions of usage may actually prevent SCEA from using the data for profit... but I don't really know why things have been that way.

I would imagine if the dev team actually used pitch f/x info, it wouldn't take them 1 - 2 months to rate all players. That kind of thing can be totally be automated, so I suspect there are other reasons.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »