Home

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Pro

IK720's Arena

OVR: 7
Contracts

Okay this probably has a simple answer and I'm probably over looking it. How come some contracts in the show increase over the span of the deal.. and other players make the same amount each year for the entirety of the contract? I was looking to see the highest paid players on my team and I noticed some guys will make more each year and others don't...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Contracts

its more inriguing for a player to sign when he's making more money towards the end of his contract rather than the beginning. you cant change it in the game though
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Pro

IK720's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofikedavis
its more inriguing for a player to sign when he's making more money towards the end of his contract rather than the beginning. you cant change it in the game though
Yea so how come some players get contracts like that (which I know mirror real life), and other players get the flat rate each year. Is it once you sign them to a certain size contract or some other determining factor.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

It was one of the fixes made in a patch in 11. Contracts always escalated and by having smaller contracts(I think all under 5 million) stay static helped reduce the FA bug that occurred 3 to 4 years into franchise.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

The reason it is done IRL is so that the player knows he won't be traded/cut/benched when he gets older due to his large salary. It is also done because teams believe they will have more money available in the future. Take the Angels and Pujols for instance, the Angels owe aging stars like Hunter a lot of money now, but he will retire in the near future, and they will then have the money to pay Pujols more than he is getting this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Pro

IK720's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15
The reason it is done IRL is so that the player knows he won't be traded/cut/benched when he gets older due to his large salary. It is also done because teams believe they will have more money available in the future. Take the Angels and Pujols for instance, the Angels owe aging stars like Hunter a lot of money now, but he will retire in the near future, and they will then have the money to pay Pujols more than he is getting this year.
Thanks.. I understand why they do it in real life, but was unsure of why some people did in the game and others didn't.

The 5 million mark seems to be right as I have two players with salaries over 5 million who have scaled contracts. I suppose it could be 4 million, but I don't have any players who make between 3.6-5.6 million so I can't be 100% sure on the exact marker. Thanks Tabarnes!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

I didn't know why it happened in the game either. Thanks for asking.

As for real life, the biggest reason is the time-value of money. Just think inflation so that USD1million now is not that in five years--plus the team can keep that money and make interest to pay the extra part of the back end. So 1m this year and 1.1 next is a 2.1m escalating contract--but they are actually only paying out 2m from their own pockets with the .1m coming from interest. It helps to entice the player a bit more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »