Home

Does anyone turn variable umpire off??

This is a discussion on Does anyone turn variable umpire off?? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
nyr
Rookie

OVR: 3
Does anyone turn variable umpire off??

I have been thinking of doing this for awhile now because I feel it may increase my walk total. As of now I get anywhere from 2-4 walks per game which is fine I guess, but it really seems I could get more if I turned this feature off since it seems to hurt me more than it ever helps. Curious if anyone does this and what your results are like. Cheers,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Does anyone turn variable umpire off??

I turned it off because I got tired of throwing strikes that kept getting called balls.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14

I leave it on. Although, it does frustate the stuff out of me sometimes. While it can be very unpredictable, I write it off to human (animated) error.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31

I leave it on....although some strikes are blatantly balls and vice versa, it's nice experiencing different strike zones and having to adapt to each umpire like IRL
Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

I've been tempted to turn this off but probably won't. The strike zone is so jacked up that I don't think it would matter if it was on or off tbh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

I keep variable on and once I start a franchise, I will pay more attention to who is calling the game and pitch accordingly. More realistic to me. Umpires in real life miss calls and every umpire does not have the same strike zone, let alone a perfect one.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I played an entire season of '11 with it ON, and despite repeated frustration continued to leave it on. I am okay with the variability, but it felt like (i.e., my perception which isn't necessarily reality) the vast majority of bad calls went against me. The close balls that were sometimes called strikes didn't bother me nearly as much as the clear strikes that were called balls at horrible times (3-2 counts, or with 2 out in an inning and almost working myself out of a jam, etc.)

I'm sure it isn't programmed to favor CPU versus human, but the CPU does a much better job than I at letting extremely close pitches go by. When I'm protecting the plate, I have trouble ignoring borderline pitches - had I let more of these go, then I may have benefited from blown calls as much as the CPU - but even though I think I have a decent eye for balls and strikes, it clearly isn't as refined as the precise digital/virtual eye the CPU possess, and thus I saw more of these occur when I was pitching than when I was hitting. What's more, so many of those blown calls seemed (again perception) to go against me at crucial points in the game.

So, in my current season in '12 I have turned this feature off, and I am enjoying the game more. I think what other people may be interested to know, is that through 44 games of my new season what I have noticed is that there is still some variability in calls. Pitches that are clearly balls are always called balls, likewise pitches that are clearly strikes are always called strikes. However, on borderline pitches where varying amounts of the ball touch the strike zone, I have noticed that some are called balls some strikes. It's just enough variation that I can live with.

I miss having the individual umpires calling different zones, but there doesn't seem to be a setting whereby they would each perfectly call their own preferred zones.

Last edited by chrishthomas; 03-28-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Rookie

porkys8077's Arena

OVR: 4

I keep it on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »