Home

Pitching Advice?

This is a discussion on Pitching Advice? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pitching Advice?

Just looking for some pitching advice. I'm trying to pull away from using the catcher's suggestions and pitching on my own but keep getting hammered.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Rookie

Sinner618's Arena

Re: Pitching Advice?

Its ok to use the catchers suggestion.. they're usually pretty good calls.. I find myself thinking after a certain pitch about my next pitch, and the catchers next call is exactly where and what I was thinking of doing...

However, I do go my own route sometimes too... my best advice for pitching would be the exact same advice I have for hitting : watch each pitch's confidence meter... if its low confidence, don't hang it, and if its high confidence, even if its down the middle, there's a better chance for that pitch to get whiffed or get hit right to someone..

The batter seems to look for the low confidence stuff, and even painting the corners with them can end up with an easy hit for them. Although, I can sometimes get out of jams by throwing the low confidence stuff out of the zone and getting a swingthrough

My last game : Cards vs Indians... Wainwright went 9.0 innings, only gave up 3 hits, 0 walks, and only needed 68 pitches to get the complete game shutout... but another intersting thing was I had 0 strikeouts. The first inning was a 3 pitch inning, all groundouts with the fastball, so the next inning begins with my fastball maxed in confidence, and I slowly worked other pitches in between fastballs and got those meters up too. They were connecting well with the pitches, but I wasn't trying too much to dance around the corners, but wasn't hanging them dead center either.

Each of the 3 hits I gave up also ended up double plays the next batter as well. If a batter gets a hit off of, let's say the fastball, like these were, that pitch's confidence goes down a little, and the next batter will be also looking for that pitch again.. so those next batters saw some curves and changeups, a couple waste pitches, and then I gave them fastball low and away, slightly outside the corner. They chased everytime, and right to my SS...

But let me also say, I have never breezed so easily through the defensive side of a game like this one before. This one was rare for me, but the same strategy of playing towards your pitch's stengths is how I always pitch. I dare never lay the very low confidence fastball down the middle, not even on a 3-0 count... but I wouldn't sweat giving a maxed out confidence fastball down the middle, even if I'm down a run or two...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm using Classic pitching. Can someone explain the mechanics of it. Is it random or does it matter how long I hold down the button?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustClassik
I'm using Classic pitching. Can someone explain the mechanics of it. Is it random or does it matter how long I hold down the button?
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-pitching.html
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Banned

dce21b's Arena

OVR: 2

Dont be scared to throw the hard stuff high and inside... works great on human opponents and how i get AI to chase.

I cant remember his name... the dopey white guy with the big lips on the yankees chases high fastballs all day.... and no i dont care to look for his name
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you guys tend to use curveballs?

I tend to use them as a strikeout pitch and have them drop out ouf the zone but that gets pretty predictable. I always feel like if I leave them in the zone they are going to get hammered. When in the zone do you throw them inside/outside or what?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Banned

dce21b's Arena

OVR: 2

I like to throw them either into the dirt on people who are really bad and chase them or i will throw them so that the last bottom arrow of the break marker touches the outer edge of the strike zone like my bad drawing shows

\\ |
_\\|
__\\
__|\\

That way if they are always guess pitching down you dont set it off and since i like to throw my fast ball high and inside you can really throw a guy off cause its coming in as that pitch but breaking down and inside. If its a guy that lays off low curveballs he will see it as a high one that he can really take for a ride but not realize its inside. Its alot to process for a hitter.

I really struggle with some pitchers curves and batters end up killing it. But others I can throw meatballs all day and they cant hit em. Just keep experimenting and see what you like.

Last edited by dce21b; 03-26-2012 at 11:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »