Home

MLB The Show Series and Basestealing

This is a discussion on MLB The Show Series and Basestealing within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Banned

Clarke99's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon13 MLB The Show Series and Basestealing

There is someone or a few in the SCEA studios that for years just dont understand that the few (5-10) players with explosive speed in the MLB can steal at almost any time.

The developers im guessing want to avoid a user from turning all theyre players into speedsters to beat the CPU. However if thats what some user wants to do to win good for them.

A player Such as Dee Gordon or Rajai Davis in real life can steal a base at almost anytime they choose. Everyone in the entire stadium along with the pitcher and catcher will know this type of player is going to steal they throw a fastball, catcher is upright throws to 2nd OR THIRD! and still cant stop them. They are safe 90% of the time.
The show however doesnt get this at all, I get it if say you had Michael Bourn and he got thrown out once every 10-15 attempts.
but the game has speedsters getting thrown out 1/3 times!! its not realistic.
Save it, if youre going to post "you gotta learn when to steal, blahblahblah youre an amazing gamer" I know the game of baseball this just happens to often.

If a player has a speed rating over 95 (which again only a FEW players are) and a respectable baserunning ability, you should be thrown out once in awhile, not every other time. FASTBALL or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: MLB The Show Series and Basestealing

I do seem to get thrown out a bit more than I should. But usually I can zoom around the bases with Cam Maybin.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

To the OP, what sliders/settings are you using? Through 29 games with Ian Desmond I have 9 stolen bases and only one caught stealing. Playing on all-star with pitch speed at 3, and fielding reaction, arm, and speed at 4.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
A player Such as Dee Gordon or Rajai Davis in real life can steal a base at almost anytime they choose. They are safe 90% of the time.
The show however doesnt get this at all, I get it if say you had Michael Bourn and he got thrown out once every 10-15 attempts.
Davis lifetime steal percentage is 78.3%, his last three years when supposedly he's really learned to steal is 78.6%....

Gordon, his one year in the Majors has a 77.4% success rate....

Bourn's career rate is 82.1%....

I think you need to re-evaluate what you know about base stealers.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Rookie

shifty_b's Arena

OVR: 2

I think that they make the best base stealers too similar to an average one. I have seen opposing catchers steal second with no lead on a fastball away, seems like there just needs to be a little more disparity between the best and worst, just not as severe as you imagine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
There is someone or a few in the SCEA studios that for years just dont understand that the few (5-10) players with explosive speed in the MLB can steal at almost any time.

The developers im guessing want to avoid a user from turning all theyre players into speedsters to beat the CPU. However if thats what some user wants to do to win good for them.

A player Such as Dee Gordon or Rajai Davis in real life can steal a base at almost anytime they choose. Everyone in the entire stadium along with the pitcher and catcher will know this type of player is going to steal they throw a fastball, catcher is upright throws to 2nd OR THIRD! and still cant stop them. They are safe 90% of the time.
Save it, if youre going to post "you gotta learn when to steal, blahblahblah youre an amazing gamer" I know the game of baseball this just happens to often.

If a player has a speed rating over 95 (which again only a FEW players are) and a respectable baserunning ability, you should be thrown out once in awhile, not every other time. FASTBALL or not.

I understand your frustration, but with a game like The Show you really have to look at the numbers game. In real life, base runners will steal bases about 65-70% of the time on an average catcher. There are some who are far worse and some catchers who are far worse and some who are slightly better; but for the most part it's safe to estimate that an attempt to steal a base is successful about 65% of the time.

In regard to guys like Michael Bourne, he was successful in just over 80% of his attempts last year. While this is phenomenal...it's definitely not 9 out of 10 attempts. He is a top tier player in regard to stolen bases.

So if you were to take an average guy versus an elite guy you would say the average guy is safe 6/7 out of ten times. Michael Bourne is safe 8 times out of 10.

If you shrink your sample size in half to reflect per-five-attempts:

Average base stealer: 3/5
Michael Bourne: 4/5

You can see that when looking at five attempts, the elite stealers only are safe one more time than the average attempt.

This doesn't diminish the impact or excellence of Michael Bourne, all it shows is that you have to have a large sample size to reflect the significance.

My point then; take down notes and record the number of times you're seeing each result with different players in the game. If you want to go at developers and get somewhere, I suggest you come with numbers and data. Show them that the game is statistically and significantly different from real life figures. Or you may find it's not as bad after all.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Rookie

maddguuns's Arena

OVR: 6

They should put Willie Mays Hayes in the game.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Not sure where you are going wrong...I think you might need to reevaluate your sliders.
I am using default for stealing and have stolen 2nd regularly with Dee Gordon even on pitchouts....

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »