Home

Why ball physics is the most important change ever

This is a discussion on Why ball physics is the most important change ever within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Why ball physics is the most important change ever

MLB 11 the show was a great game, but my biggest drawback was the ball physics, especially on outs. Fly ball outs always seemed to have the same speed and trajectory. There was never that "it might fall in" feeling, and grounders always skipped and never bounced. Texas leaguers were nonexistent. With new ball physics I hope there is a feeling of unpredictability once ball is in flight which makes this a new game. Nem, pared and crew feel free to chime in
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Why ball physics is the most important change ever

For someone who was trying to make slider adjustment in an effort to increase ball physics variety (which necessarily leads to a more variety in fielding plays), this improvement alone justifies a huge chunk of $60 that will cost me to get this game. But that really depends on what you are looking for in the game, so I hope people just shut up about their personal decisions on whether to buy a game or not... nobody should care and their decisions will be respected regardless.

Seeing is worth about 6,840,507,000 words (which by the way is close to the current world population), all this nonsense about ball physics being the same will be put to rest once more gameplay videos start surfacing. I cannot wait to see them myself.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Any baseball game should start with a life-like physics-based hitting system, and go from there. I mean, the game's central objective is the ball being hit.

My favorites were the front page sports baseball pro 98, and the last EA MVP baseball. Not perfect, but I felt like pitches high, low, inside, and outside were all handled in a somewhat believeable way based on swing timing.

Since MLB the show was only lacking a better hitting system, more stat overlays, and more playable camera options (personal gripe), I'm excited to try this sucker out.

Last edited by WhiteM5; 01-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
From playing the game extensively, and watching CPU vs. CPU games (which is now a thing of beauty due to the new physics), you get plenty of those "is it gonna bloop or drop in?".

Night and day compared to last year.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

The ball physics really struck me the first day. I remember walking by and out of the corner of my eye seeing a flare over the first basemans head. The righty hitter hit it off the end of the bat and you could "feel" and see the spin. I stopped and had to watch the replay because I didn't think it was possible. Awesome!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Rookie

GibsonD90's Arena

OVR: 2

I still haven't seen enough of this but i'm looking forward to it. Hope it's in some of the videos in the coming weeks.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

As general rules, I find changes that affect every mode are more important than changes to just one mode and gameplay changes are more important than artistic changes.

That puts ball physics, balanced against player movement speed and realistic stats as the central feature.

That's not to say you can completely neglect game modes and art, but the Show doesn't so no problem there.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonD90
I still haven't seen enough of this but i'm looking forward to it. Hope it's in some of the videos in the coming weeks.
I'm taking their ( the people from OS that have played the game ) word for it. Plus, I saw a foul ball in the 2 and a half minute gameplay video that went off the bat and into the crowd towards third base. I could tell spin was factored into the trajectory.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »