Home

How Do You Draw a Walk?

This is a discussion on How Do You Draw a Walk? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Rookie

marshmont's Arena

OVR: 0
How Do You Draw a Walk?

I tried searching for an answer but no luck. Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble drawing a walk? I can go 5 or 6 games in a row without drawing one. What's frusterating is no matter how patient I am at the plate I almost always start off 0-2. Then the rare times when a pitcher throws a bunch of balls he will start off 3-0 and then throws 3 straight strikes. I've tried adjusting sliders but nothing seems to help. I remember this was an issue last year too and I was hoping they would fix it but it seems to be worse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Pro

Mercury53's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: How Do You Draw a Walk?

I don't draw walks often because I swing at stupid pitches, but I can if I'm patient. It helps playing on the higher difficulties, as the pitcher tends to throw more balls, also, there is a slider that could help. Just be patient. Foul pitches off and have a good eye.
NFL - Philadelphia Eagles
MLS - Seattle Sounders

Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11

Exactly, patience is key and it sounds weird but try and foul off some pitches you don't think you can get a hold of. Just have a good eye, I make sure to watch the ball all the way through the windup to the plate, you will learn to pick up on how the ball comes out of the hand to predict where the pitch is going. This is especially important with pitchers who pitch high 90's.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 24

It seems to be something that either clicks for the user or it doesn't. I had a Milwaukee franchise and i was about 50 games deep averaging well under 1 walk per game. Around that time with the same sliders something clicked and i now average about 3 per game. I have had a high of 8 in a game. I bet i still leave 2-3 walks per game on the board from chasing pitches too.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 20

This year is the first year I have drawn walks on a pretty real life clip. I adjusted the CPU pitch sliders down one notch and get 2-4 walks a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Banned

mondoguitar's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmont
I tried searching for an answer but no luck. Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble drawing a walk? I can go 5 or 6 games in a row without drawing one. What's frusterating is no matter how patient I am at the plate I almost always start off 0-2. Then the rare times when a pitcher throws a bunch of balls he will start off 3-0 and then throws 3 straight strikes. I've tried adjusting sliders but nothing seems to help. I remember this was an issue last year too and I was hoping they would fix it but it seems to be worse.
I played 300-400 games in RTTS and I think I had 2 walks total. I just waited for a pitch and hit it. I found being patient just got you behind in the count. Only thing I can advise is take a strike, because you're usually not going to strike out anyways.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Pro

Mercury53's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_6492
Exactly, patience is key and it sounds weird but try and foul off some pitches you don't think you can get a hold of. Just have a good eye, I make sure to watch the ball all the way through the windup to the plate, you will learn to pick up on how the ball comes out of the hand to predict where the pitch is going. This is especially important with pitchers who pitch high 90's.

How do you pick up low changeups? Those things kill me, as do low and inside sliders. I strikeout a ton because of those pitches. Argh.
NFL - Philadelphia Eagles
MLS - Seattle Sounders

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Banned

mondoguitar's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury53
How do you pick up low changeups? Those things kill me, as do low and inside sliders. I strikeout a ton because of those pitches. Argh.
With 2 strikes I only use contact and usually if they end up being low I can get a piece of them and foul them off. Before 2 strikes I'm always looking inside or middle for something to hit hard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »