Home

Whens the right time to bring up Those STAR Rookies

This is a discussion on Whens the right time to bring up Those STAR Rookies within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 14
Whens the right time to bring up Those STAR Rookies

As, the title states, just wondering, because I'm rebuilding the Royals and want to know when the right time is to move up Moustakos or Hosmer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Pro

skow05's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Whens the right time to bring up Those STAR Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUlions15
As, the title states, just wondering, because I'm rebuilding the Royals and want to know when the right time is to move up Moustakos or Hosmer.
I'd say look at their production at the level they are at. If you start both of them at AAA Omaha (I'm not certain that's where they are going to start this year?) just judge their "readiness" off of the stats. If you aren't getting production out of your MLB talent or there's an injury and they have steadily proved themselves at the AAA level, then give them a fair shake at sticking with the MLB club. If all else fails, give them a September call up and see how it plays out from there.

Just make sure you are going to give them an honest chance at sticking, don't wanna burn those options!

That'd be my suggestion, although I am a Cubs fan, and our judgment level of when to give a highly touted prospect a call up is not held in high regard.

Cowboys

Knicks
PSN - Skow
Old 04-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

In the end, it's a game. On top of that, it's YOUR game. Seeing as how this is complete fantasy, bring them up when you want. After playing this game for years, there is no right or wrong time. Their minor league seasons have no real merit on how they're gonna do in the majors. I have Brent Morel up in my season, and through the end of May he was hitting .160 with 1 hr 7 rbi. Sent him down, he tore it up in June. .400+ avg, 5 hrs, 19 rbi. Brought him back up, played him all of July, still at .178 with 2 hrs and 11 rbi.

I understand wanting to play with some reality to it, but in the end the computer doesn't look at how a player is doing in the minors when they purchase their contract or bring them up. They bring up 18 year old A potential players and they bring up 28 yr old D potential players. Bad seasons don't cause regression in this game. As much as they want to say progression is a little stat based, it's not. If you're training them, they'll become studs. Just to show this, I have Lastings Milledge up as well. Even though he's got an F potential, in 30 games played, he's hitting .310 with 7 hrs and 22 rbi with 7 sb's. But he still hasn't gotten one upward pointing arrow in progression in any attribute.

Play the game how you see fit. If you wanna bring him up, bring him up. If you want to play it with some realism, if he's sucking in AAA, leave him there. If you just want to play with the players you want to play, use them. There is no right or wrong and people who judge you for using someone who won't be up this year in real life, well, that's their problem.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Pro

skow05's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crinos2
In the end, it's a game. On top of that, it's YOUR game. Seeing as how this is complete fantasy, bring them up when you want. After playing this game for years, there is no right or wrong time. Their minor league seasons have no real merit on how they're gonna do in the majors. I have Brent Morel up in my season, and through the end of May he was hitting .160 with 1 hr 7 rbi. Sent him down, he tore it up in June. .400+ avg, 5 hrs, 19 rbi. Brought him back up, played him all of July, still at .178 with 2 hrs and 11 rbi.

I understand wanting to play with some reality to it, but in the end the computer doesn't look at how a player is doing in the minors when they purchase their contract or bring them up. They bring up 18 year old A potential players and they bring up 28 yr old D potential players. Bad seasons don't cause regression in this game. As much as they want to say progression is a little stat based, it's not. If you're training them, they'll become studs. Just to show this, I have Lastings Milledge up as well. Even though he's got an F potential, in 30 games played, he's hitting .310 with 7 hrs and 22 rbi with 7 sb's. But he still hasn't gotten one upward pointing arrow in progression in any attribute.

Play the game how you see fit. If you wanna bring him up, bring him up. If you want to play it with some realism, if he's sucking in AAA, leave him there. If you just want to play with the players you want to play, use them. There is no right or wrong and people who judge you for using someone who won't be up this year in real life, well, that's their problem.
Dang man, you are getting PRODUCTION out of Lastings. Although looking at your guys offensive production the last 2 games (IRL) it doesn't look like you'll need it!

There's a lot of truth to your post, I only responded that way because it seemed as if he wanted to keep it somewhat realistic.

The only problem would be finding spots for them, bench Aviles/Kila? You could platoon Francoeur and Hosmer and then move Aviles into a utility role since he plays 3 out of 4 IF spots.

I guess if the Cubs had a prospect as highly touted as Hosmer/Moose, I would have a hard time holding them back. Especially with the DH spot in the AL, you have a lot of different lineups you can play with to utilize whoever you have in the bench role.

Have fun with those 2, whatever you decide to do, they are gonna be a blast to play with.

Cowboys

Knicks
PSN - Skow
Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Rookie

I brought Moustakos up but, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger for Hosmer, because Kila has 14 HR's which is tied for 2nd in the AL. Itraded Butler for Manny who has 11 HR's, whos in the DH spot so Ican't move Kila there so Hosmer can play 1B. Im so confused.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

butler for manny doesnt sound like a good trade, i dunno what manny's contract is like, but butler wouldnt be eligible for FA for a few more years if i remember correctly.

as far as bringing guys up, just evaluate the position they play and what your long term goal is. generally you want to bring your studs up after the trade deadline. why ? because they need 6 years service time to be a fa, and you can possibly milk out another season with them when they hit 5.5 service time. just depends on how your team is doing that year and what their contract looks like.

ultimately you want a window of opportunity, where your talent lines up and you can make a possible run to the playoffs. thats when you cash in all your minor league prospects for trades and/or sign the fa monsters to fill in the gap.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
...as far as bringing guys up, just evaluate the position they play and what your long term goal is. generally you want to bring your studs up after the trade deadline. why ? because they need 6 years service time to be a fa, and you can possibly milk out another season with them when they hit 5.5 service time...
You may want to read this article. It talks about Super2 status, which may give your players arbitration 1 year early. To attempt to avoid this, do not bring the player up until an imaginary date around late May/early June. You do not have to wait until the break.

Larger market teams call this tactic unethical; smaller market teams call it moneyball.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
butler for manny doesnt sound like a good trade, i dunno what manny's contract is like, but butler wouldnt be eligible for FA for a few more years if i remember correctly.

as far as bringing guys up, just evaluate the position they play and what your long term goal is. generally you want to bring your studs up after the trade deadline. why ? because they need 6 years service time to be a fa, and you can possibly milk out another season with them when they hit 5.5 service time. just depends on how your team is doing that year and what their contract looks like.

ultimately you want a window of opportunity, where your talent lines up and you can make a possible run to the playoffs. thats when you cash in all your minor league prospects for trades and/or sign the fa monsters to fill in the gap.
It is a good trade to me, Kila is already tearing it up and Hosmer is the next Joey Votto, so there was no need for Butler, to me he was just trade bait and Manny is hitting like the Manny of old so all-in-all to me it's a good trade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »