Home

Extra base hits

This is a discussion on Extra base hits within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Extra base hits

Hey guys I am new. Been playing the show since 08 but I am having trouble getting extra base hits. Not homeruns there fine but cant seem to get doubles and triples at all. Any advice. I am using timing for hitting. What influences fly balls ground balls etc.. Thanks for any help. Im Gene by the way....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Extra base hits

Hey Gene...

Hey, my boss is named Gene. Is it...is it you?

My brother was having the same problem up until a few days ago. It was either all homers or singles...but nothing in between.

We're Timing Only also, by the way.

I suggested he find a good spot for the pitch speed slider. Oddly enough, he had to raise it from 2 to 3 (though this is the exception to what usually helps people).

This...and plenty of practice.

When you're sitting fastball, because you KNOW it's coming, tell yourself, "I'm all over this pitch! And I'm swinging early!"

Sometimes, 'just early' or 'just late' timing isn't a bad thing. It really helps hit diversity.

Utilizing 'pitch history' also helps. Press select, and take a look at the CPU pitcher. If he's alway working the change away, when ahead to righties, start looking for that pitch in that circumstance. This can allow you to sit on the ball, not to mention see it clearly as it's released, and put good wood on the ball. These often result in wall balls, or gappers.

If all else fails, and I mean ALL ELSE (at least 20 games), you could lower your power and or fielder run speed a click. Dropping power could turn a wall scraper homer into an off the scoreboard double. Also, the wind slider is one some people are dropping, but not all.

Anyway, once your misses per game, fouls per game, strike outs per game, and hits per game look good; you'll have plenty of extra base hits.

That, or play a game at Citi Field. That is the place where homers go to die.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for the info I have tried a few of those will raising solid hits help I noticed most sliders are lowered to about 2. Also does the left or right analog help influence fly balls or ground balls by pushing in those directions.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

I am more apt to hit doubles-triples when I work the count. Not just by working the count but I have really noticed that 2-2 or 3-2 shots in the gap seem to happen more than they did...but I have only played 20 or so games so it could be an illusion
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Rookie

shifty_b's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking12344
I am more apt to hit doubles-triples when I work the count. Not just by working the count but I have really noticed that 2-2 or 3-2 shots in the gap seem to happen more than they did...but I have only played 20 or so games so it could be an illusion
Me too, I seem to focus better on pitch type and location. That lets me time swings better.

I think that a big part of the battle is to avoid jumping out of your shoes on fastballs/hangers, at least that is the case for me. You said you still hit homers fine, but i think that working the count and sitting on pitches greatly increases the number of extra base hits (not just HR).

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Pro

The Amaizen Blue's Arena

OVR: 7

Late in the count, guess pitch fastballs low. There's a large chance of getting one, and those are the ones I seem to clobber for doubles and rare triples.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

im also having trouble hitting doubles and triples. Alot of singles and HRs. All i have to say is, Patience, patience, patience!!! How many of you are using analog? I am and its all about getting used to it for myself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »